Sig guys....what should I expect?

Links2k

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What to expect? Well, it will be heavier than polymer, slightly thicker than a 1911, and will run all day long. From the photo, you are either gettting a trigger added after purchase meant for smaller hands (it's thinner than the stock trigger), or a 229 outfitted with the SRT (Short Return Trigger). The SRT is 10 pounds of fun in a 5 pound bag.

One thing to remember, if you're a "thumbs forward" style shooter, is that you must keep your thumb off the slide release - I had to teach myself not to ride it, which prevents the slide from locking back on an empty magazine. I did learn a valuable lesson that has repaid itself since - bad habits are more likely than bad mags.

Sigs are well-engineered, well-built, fun to shoot, and easy to strip, clean, and maintain. You'll enjoy it! Search on the posts here or Sigforums for lube recommendations - Sigs run best wet, especially with those with alloy frames.

Edited by StPatrick
Regarding my comment about running "wet", here's a very good article, from a reputable source, about lubing Sigs: Flork's Lubrication Recommendation - Topic Powered by Social Strata

I'll agree there .... keeping em clean and well lubed = a mighty fine day.

I don't skimp, but I do wipe excess. Haven't had an issue yet. I use hoppes #9 and FP-10 ...

StPatrick ... What do you use?

It's happening. Can't wait to shoot it. I will give a range report asap.

DAMMIT !!! I mean ... CONGRATS !!!! :) I am not envious !!!!!! Range Report + Pics = ASAP! Enjoy it, and treat her right .... and she'll keep you happy for many more range sessions to come!

I own a Glock and a Sig. I was told to break in a gun with at least 200 rounds before I expected any accuracy with any gun. I have also heard that Sig is "accurate out of the box". It is true. Takdriver from day one and several thousand rounds later it still outshoots the Glock. The Nitron definitley takes a little more TLC than Tenifer, though. Your 229 will hook you for life. Get a good holster and all other guns will fade away.

Guest The Highlander

I had a 239 and foolishly traded it. Waited until i found a great deal on a SIG 220 CPO at Tri-Cities Gun Depot to replace it. I think you will be very happy with the SIG, although the double-stack guns don't fit my hands as well. My 239 was a very good, accurate, and controllable smaller gun, and my 220 shoots like a target pistol. Can't beat that!

As mentioned above, in my very limited experience so far, the SIG is indeed outshooting the G17 I've shot, carried, and competed with for about 12 years now. But I'm faster on follow-up shots with the Glock still.