Anyone own a Gen4 Glock 23?

lock n' load

I have read on various websites (even saw a video review on Youtube) that the Gen4 Glock 23 is now available. I currently own a Gen3 version and am looking at trading mine in for the newest one next year. I like that fact that the gun features multiple backstraps and a dual recoil spring just to name some of the new features. Does anyone on here own one of these new guns? If so, what are your thoughts about it? Is it worth trading for?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Gen4 22 here, not a 23. I like it just fine, shoots well, recoil doesn't bother me. But the last Glock I owned previously was a Gen 1 Glock 17 back in the late 80s, so I have no basis for comparing to the Gen 3s.

I have tried the Gen4 G22 and perfer the Gen3 model. Just did not like the recoil assembly and how it got beat up on the end that fit against the locking block. The mag release is great and the smaller grip is very good just wished they would have stopped there or added good sights.

I ran about 100 rounds through one last week.

Functioned 100% and there was a SLIGHT recoil reduction due to the new recoil system.

I liked the grip texture, reduced backstrap, and mag release very much.

That said, as pumped as I was about Glock's Gen4, I'll wait and stick with Gen3 for awhile...I've heard of too many issues with the new recoil system's reliability (admittedly, most complaints are with the 9mm versions...and I'm a G19 guy).

I'm issued a Gen2 G23 at work.

Edited by TN-popo

I have a G22 Gen 4 and two Gen 3 Glocks. I'm not sure it's worth spending money to upgrade unless the Gen 3 grips are to large or too small. The backstrap on the Gen 4 is kind of flimsy for me. I have heard the two stage spring helps reduce recoil, but it's not substantial enough that I even notice. I only went Gen 4 because I was in the market for a Glock.

• 6 months later...
Guest my glock 23

Picked up my new Glock 23 gen 4 Thursday. A friend gave me 200 rounds of .40 cal crap with led bullets. Glock fired it no problem. Ammo was so crappy my hands were black. Recoil seems less than my gen 3 probably because of double spring. I'm using the standard back strap it works best for me. Trigger is Glock, long and heavy. New mag release is nice. Mag loader I recieved does not work. I have now fired this gun about 500 times accuracy is good 3" groups at 20 yards. 180 grain bullets are my favorite. More push than snap. This will be my concealed carry weapon while I'm in states that honor my Florida permit.

I have had my Gen 4 23 for a few months now and honestly I say keep your Gen 3.

You won't notice a difference in recoil. The new texture is nice but not amazing. The new finish they use for the slide sucks compared to the older finish.

I was a big fan of the new magazine release until I experienced a magazine dump yesterday with my Gen 4 26. Would this have happened with my 23? Who knows, but it sure does make me nervous.

The grip is slightly smaller(2mm) I believe but it's not enough to make a huge difference over the gen 3.

I've also experienced several malfunctions out of my 23. I'm about 99% sure it's a single bad magazine but it still sucks.

Keep your Gen 3 unless you just think you need the "next best thing"