crime in rural areas

Last week a neighbor of ours was shot in his own home when he returned from dropping kids off at school. He walked in on some BG'S robbing his home. Luckily he was not killed. He was hit in the right shoulder and did not hit anything other than soft tissue. He had noticed a PU truck parked near his gate but assumed it was a hunter. I live in a small community called Pine Orchard. just past Harriman. Houses are very spread out and the county cops seldom are seen patroling around. My wife has stated she will not unlocked the door for anyone now. And i am going to start training her how to shoot. may end up getting her a pistol of her own.

Just goes to show no one is safe anywhere any more. She had been asking why i wanted to carry my pistol and always keep it loaded near my person even in the house. Now she understands.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in a rural area outside Clarksville and it seems the meth makers cook their poison in the country and sell it in the city. There are several of these meth-heads in my neighborhood that just roam the roads like zombies. I'm afraid of the day that one of these zombies decides to come to my house.

Whats the old adage? You might walk up, but you gonna limp away. That's if he's lucky.

....Hope that you friend heals soon. NEWS FLASH! Crime occurs outside of Memphis. Do whatever you have to do to protect you and yours. Crime is about opportunity not location. ....

Amen to both points. Link is exactly right. Crime is about opportunity. It can happen anywhere. I (...like many others here...) believe you should be ready. Keep your "equalizer" at easy reach all the time. Keep your powder dry and your tools at hand.

Leroy

Guest tnxdshooter
That's exactly why I carry, even when I am at home. I want immediate access to my weapon, since the BG is probably not going to give me time to go get it.

Exactly, I am not looking to shoot anyone but if they are in my house I have to assume they mean me harm and will drop em like a sack of potatoes.

Although violent crime overall has been going down for over a decade, it seems that we have been having quite a few home invasions here in the Knoxville area by pill heads looking for cash and prescription meds. We like to spend the cool months with our doors open to let the breeze blow through, but being the first house on our street just off of a larger road, I am a little concerned that someone strung out may take a chance on our place (someone did try to break in right before we bought the place by going through the crawlspace and ripped out the HVAC intake to get into the house, which we found during the home inspection). I keep a pistol close at hand when we have the doors open just to be safe. If some P.O.S. does decide to come in uninvited, they will meet me in the most unpleasant way.