Alloy 1911?

Guest carbonarcher

Guest carbonarcher

I don't know anything about the Alloy 1911's. I have two custom colts by EGW on in SS and one in carbon, both have held up awesome over the past 10 years.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the alloys? How do they hold up? I know that they are not for comp, you do have to pratice with them though.

Looking for some input!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Colt's original intro of the Commander (1952?) was an alloy frame. After a while, they brought out a steel frame version, calling it the Combat Commander. People started getting them confused, so they started calling the original model the Lightweight Commander. Weird, huh? I've never seen any issues with frame degradation, but have heard stories that it can happen. I had a '60's era LW, and had zero problems with it. Probably would still have it, if I hadn't moved away from the 1911...

Being a Toolmaker and knowing what I do about metallurgy I wouldn’t want a gun made out of Aluminum, Scandium, Titanium or Unknownium. They are popular because they are lighter to carry, but they will cost much more and be less accurate and reliable than a stainless or steel gun. They are marketed to people that carry, but don’t shoot them much.

Get an alloy 1911, but make sure that alloy is stainless steel. ;)

Carbon:____________

I've got the "original" lightweight, the Colt Commander. The only difference i can see is that they tend to climb a bit higher in recoil. No appreciable difference in shooting. The carrying difference is the big thing. The aluminum frame makes the gun quite a bit lighter. If you carry them a lot (...the old ones, that is...); they

tend to wear on the frame a bit quicker than the slide; but i suspect the newer finishes may have fixed that. I've seen the old ones that were carried lots wear all the way down to the aluminum.

Some folks worry about durability with the aluminum frame; but i see that as a "no, nevermind"; the frame is forged and plenty tough. I doubt that the average gunner could shoot one enough to batter or crack the frame.

For what it's worth; i really like the full size aluminum frame pistols. I'd like to find a "lightly used, but lovingly cared for" one myself. If i remember right, the lightweights weigh about 28 to 29 ounces. When you put that up against a 35 to 40 ounce full size colt; the difference is pretty good.

Hope this helps.

leroy

Just a little more info for your bag. As alluded to before, round count is a big factor with aluminum frames. Particularly aluminum frames with standard non ramped barrels. The frame ramp over time will wear relatively quickly (dings, pitts etc..), and once the anodization has been compromised you are done (nose dive malfs are common then). You cannot polish an aluminum frame ramp. At that point you would be forced to either re barrel it with a ramped barrel or I have seen steel inserts put into the frame ramp itself. I think both options compromise the strength of the frame too much though.

All that being said you are probably safe for the first 25K rounds. So, for a carry gun and most shooters, it is really no big deal.

Adding to what Tim said; It probably aint a bad idea to use "hardball" rounds in an unmodified pistol. I like the hornady 230 grain truncated flatnose rounds. Evidently, the hollowpoint stuff (...probably the stuff that didnt wrap the jacket all the way into the hollowpoint...) or the 'serrated" or "folded" type rounds can cut the ramp portion of the frame over time.

Leroy

I have 9 of them. The highest round through one of them is over 7K with "0" issues although most rounds are softball reloads. Some of them are OK with +P's but I carry "Federal Hydroshocks" for EDC and the 50 or so rounds fired through some of them have not resulted in any issues.