Some more drama

Well for the last couple of days my wife and I have heard what sounded like a bear cub. Today it was louder, more grotesque sounding and more frequent. Today it sounded like something was being tortured so I called my mother who lives in the direction of the sound. I was hoping she could tell me if it was between us or somewhere else that way we can figure out what it is and get it help.

My mother's response was "oh that is Casey". Casey is their dog of 15 years and yet they are leaving her to die a miserable death. My mother went onto say that Casey's kidneys were failing and that she may have had a stroke. I told my mother she needed to go to a vet. My mother agreed but called me back a few minutes later saying my father wouldn't help and besides the vet was $150. We offered to come get the dog and take it for her. She then called me to ask if I could come kill the dog. I explaned to her that she needed to go to the vet and that it was against the law to shoot pets. She asked who would know but knowing my father hates me and has lied to police in the past I will not go up there much less commit a crime.

I told my mother that someone is going to call the cops if something wasn't done. I guess something was because the dog is now silent but not dead according to my sister who called to convince then to take the dog.

I am again going to be the bad guy for interfering in their life but if I hear one more peep from the dog I will call the cops.

Dolomite

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had not heard it was illegal to shoot a pet.

Can you share some information on this?

I have in the past removed nuisance strays in this manner. I would hate to think that it was illegal.

While I agree that shooting someone's pet without permission should be a crime, I don't think that putting your own pet down when that time comes should be a crime.

Then again my wife just told me that it could be considered Animal Cruelty, so I guess I could see it. However, I don't agree with that.

Now, with that said, let me explain that I love all of my pets, and I treat them very well. Always have. None of my animals have ever suffered. And to me, that is an emotional thing. However, if the choice is a $200 vet bill for the animal to be euthanized, or a $.20 round from a loved one, the results are the same, and the pet, which is a member of my family, will be buried in my yard, regardless of the method.

My father is such a POS. He has stolen from me and makes my mother pay him for a portion of the bills so she has to keep a job while he sits at home. If she doesn't pay he takes her car keys away and makes her walk the 3 or so miles to work at age 65. He has stood by as my brother assaulted her and then tried to cover for my brother to the cops. It was my father who was making my mother do everything related to the dog in the previous post.

Dolomite

I had not heard it was illegal to shoot a pet.

Can you share some information on this?

I have in the past removed nuisance strays in this manner. I would hate to think that it was illegal.

While I agree that shooting someone's pet without permission should be a crime, I don't think that putting your own pet down when that time comes should be a crime.

Then again my wife just told me that it could be considered Animal Cruelty, so I guess I could see it. However, I don't agree with that.

Now, with that said, let me explain that I love all of my pets, and I treat them very well. Always have. None of my animals have ever suffered. And to me, that is an emotional thing. However, if the choice is a $200 vet bill for the animal to be euthanized, or a $.20 round from a loved one, the results are the same, and the pet, which is a member of my family, will be buried in my yard, regardless of the method.

I'm curious about this, also. I pretty much feel the same way.

My father is such a POS. He has stolen from me and makes my mother pay him for a portion of the bills so she has to keep a job while he sits at home. If she doesn't pay he takes her car keys away and makes her walk the 3 or so miles to work at age 65. He has stood by as my brother assaulted her and then tried to cover for my brother to the cops. It was my father who was making my mother do everything related to the dog in the previous post.

Dolomite

Man, that sucks Dolomite. If ever there was a case for a good ole fashion @$$ whoopin', I believe that may be it. Not much worse than scumbag family. I know because I have my share too.

I agree shooting them is much more humane than letting them suffer. I have never done that to a family pet and honestly couldn't imagine doing that. I just read the statute and it comes down to the word "justifiable". I agree putting a suffering animal out of its misery would be justifiable but some others may not see it the same way. I think it is cruel allowing the animal to scream like that for as long as it has.

The reason I didn't shoot the dog is because I offered them the use of a firearm which they promptly refused. But they called back asking me to come and do it in person. Problem I have is my father has lied to LE in the past trying to get me in trouble, after the investigation LE realized it was all BS. (I have gov't clearances and have a sqeaky clean background). But in this case I go up there, shoot their suffering dog and my father calls LE saying I shot his dog. All the proof would be there and I would be in all kinds of trouble. I mentioned this to my sister, who is the only sane one and is very close to our father, and she said it was a good call on my part for not doing it. Almost like she knew something was up.

I still can't wrap my mind around listening to any animal, not jsut a family pet, scream in pain for 24+ hours right outside your house and not doing anything about it. It finally took the threat of LE to get them to do something and it looks liek they took the dog somewhere. Knowing how sick and sadistic my father is the dog is probably on the side of the road somewhere now.

Dolomite

Shoot the dog

Even if you knew there was a good possibility it would be used to settle some score and have you arrested? Me, I can't risk it because I have my family to worry about and take care of. I offered them a gun, they refused yet they wanted me to come up and do it. As I said before, they have lied to LE in the past trying to get me arrested because they know if I ever get arrested my clearances would be gone and with that my ability to go back to work if I ever heal up enough from my helicopter accident. The dog was taken somewhere, hopefully the vet, so the suffering should be over by now but it took threat of LE for them to do what needed to be done.

There is a lot more to this dynamic than can be put into words. Unless you see the day to day drama that goes on you have no clue. My brother tried to kill my family and I last year during one of his drug induced tantrums. We had SWAT in our creek watching the house while a search team tried to find him. He is a heavy drug user that is following in our father's footsteps and is becoming a heinous person as well. My mother went into hiding because my brother was assaulting her. My father allowed my brother to stay in the house but my mother had to leave. Even after a protective order was in place my mother still wasn't able to return to the house because my father said keeping my brother in the house was more important than her. Both my brother and my father act as though women are animals that must be broken. My mother even told me my father hates my wife and I because I let her do what she wants and I don't control her. My father refuses to have anything to do with his grandson because of this. It is probably good anyways because of the stuff my father had pulled with him early on. To give you an idea, when our son was 7 we had our first Christmas with my parents. We moved here for that reason, so my son can be close to his grandparents. They gave him some nice presents but right after he opened them they leaned over and told him not to break them because they wanted them back. My son looked confused and quit playing with them, putting them back in their boxes. I told them to never do that again. And yes they asked when they could get the presents they gave him back. When I told them my son had donated them to help out less fortunate kids a few years later my parents got extremely mad at our son. They even told him at age 8 while he was staying at their house over the weekend that the toys were theirs and not his to give away. I got onto them over it and that was the last time he stayed at their house.

Now the real drama starts as the blame game begins. I have been blamed for my brother's problems with the law because I called LE when he held our father hostage at shotgunpoint wanting drug money. I got blamed when my brother had his standoff with LE because a few months earlier I refused to give him any more money to buy his drugs. I have been blamed for their financial problems because I didn't give them enough money. I will no doubt be blamed in some way for the dog's suffering or at least because they had to put the dog out of its misery.

Sorry to bring all the drama into the thread but hopefully this gives a small idea of the drama. And this is but a small amount of what has been said and done to everyone close to my father.

Dolomite

And you moved back so your son could be close to that? I don't mean to sound crass, but from your description I would have to move far far away. I mean I have some crazy family, and even though they are family they are crazy. So I tend to puts lots of distance between my relatively sane life and their insane life.

And you moved back so your son could be close to that? I don't mean to sound crass, but from your description I would have to move far far away. I mean I have some crazy family, and even though they are family they are crazy. So I tend to puts lots of distance between my relatively sane life and their insane life.

None of this really started until we had built our house here. We were living quite a distance away prior to that and all seemed fine when we visited every few months. About the same time my brother started using all of his drugs is when all the other crap started. When visiting my father he seemed like he had changed from when I was young so I didn't even worry about it. But when we did move here on more of a permanent basis that is when he started trying to control us as well. With him is is all about control or jealousy. If he can't control someone and they are living better than him he is jealous and tries to do everything in his power to take it away or make you miserable.

I decided about 4 months ago to allow my mother back into our lives because she is a victim in this as well and that was a mistake because along with her came all the drama about my brother and father. For the 8 or so months prior to that all was fine because we weren't talking. I have learned a very important lesson now and that is I am an orphan as far as they are concerned. I'll treat them like any other neighbor and not let feeling of family get in the way of what is right.

Thanks guys

Dolomite

I will pay the $150 for the vet. Seriously pm me for my phone number and have the vet call me for my credit card info. Give the 15 year companion some f**king dignity during its time of need.

It never was a money issue and if it was a money issue I would have paid too.

They had the money to do it but they were being cheap. That is the reason I didn't offer to pay. I did offer to give them a ride but I wasn't going to give them money knowing full well they had the money but were being cheap. I also wasn't going to shoot their dog (I offered them a gun to do it themselves but they refused), they have killed dogs in the past so I know they will do it. I just don't trust them to go do it for them.

The dog was taken to the vet within a few hours of me calling them to find out what the noise was. But it took the threat of LE getting a call before they did do what was right. I called them at 6pm and when I found out what it was I told my wife that if they had not done what was right by 8pm I was calling the cops.

They would have not done anything had I not threatened them with LE. My father is scared to death of LE for some reason and has made my mother scared to call LE as well. They will tolerate law breakers as long as they don't have to call LE. Even today they had a strange person sitting in their driveway for a while and my mother got scared. She called me and asked what to do and when I told her to call the cops her response was "I'll just run to my car and leave" rather than call LE. It could have been my brother waiting on her or someone my brother owes money to. As she was leaving the person in the car stopped my mother and told her they were looking for my brother because he owes them money. It was a finance company my brother took out a bunch of signature loans with but never paid them back.

Dolomite

Sigh.

SO the dog was taken care of? As in put down, or given treatment?

FYI: Had he shot the dog and the "father" could have called the Cops on him, and claimed he wrongfully shot the dog. A losing situation.

I, too have not heard the "cannot shoot your own pet" law, but would not be surprised if there is one, as bad animal abuse cases have been shown in gory detail on the news...

They would have not done anything had I not threatened them with LE. My father is scared to death of LE for some reason and has made my mother scared to call LE as well.

I'm not a fan of LE either. Perhaps it's time you and your brother had a "meeting" with him out in the barn. I'm so sorry to hear of someone having such problems with their father. A father should be a role model and a hero. Mine is, and I aspire to be the same to my boys.

Guest Bonedaddy

Dolomite

Sounds like I'd have to go to jail if it were my father doing this and it wouldn't be over the dog.
I'm not a fan of LE either. Perhaps it's time you and your brother had a "meeting" with him out in the barn. I'm so sorry to hear of someone having such problems with their father. A father should be a role model and a hero. Mine is, and I aspire to be the same to my boys.

My brother is a winner also, he is a heavy drug user that has tried to kill my family and I in the past during one of his temper tantrums. He won't come around because of a protective order my mother has as well as the fact he has warrants in our county. He cries he has mental issues and they forgo jail time for mental health facility. A few weeks later he is out. Funny thing is he sells his mental meds to pay for his other drugs.

Sounds like I'd have to go to jail if it were my father doing this and it wouldn't be over the dog.

I have tried repeatedly to intervene to help my mother. She doesn't want my help and the last time I got involved she became upset at me rather than the person causing it all. I guess after being married 40 years she has become accustomed to it all. I have my own family to worry about and if I go to jail it will do absolutely no good. If I ever heal enough I will need my clearances to go back to work and an arrest would more than likely result in the clearances being pulled.

Another good reason I can't is right now I am absolutely messed up from a helicopter accident. Hell, my wife helps me get dressed, has to help me in and out of the tub or shower, puts my shoes on, and pretty much most things normal people take for granted. I have mobility problems and other issues that put me in bed 3-4 days a week.

Dolomite

Guest Bonedaddy

If I were to ever find ANY sign of physical abuse on my mother he would be in jail for domestic abuse, right after I told him about that certain "spot" in the middle of the corn field if he ever thought about retaliating. You may be able to do it over mental abuse as well and force your mother into therapy for her own good and I'd do it against her will if need be. This situation will never get better unless you move and forget them or someone has the balls to put a hammer to this. There are ways to stop this legit but you'd need a little "patience". Something I have a hard time with when it comes to this kind of SH*T!

Guest Bonedaddy

Sorry if my comments bother you there, Dolomite but things like this disturb the hell outta me. I will not tolerate this near me and especially if any children are involved. I guess it's handed down from my great grandmother who was full blood indian and genuine coon-ass. She lived in a rickety old wooden houseboat anchored in the middle of the river down in middle Louisiana till she was 75 years old. She had a real abusive husband once, too but before she finally moved to a house just on the other side of the levy, he mysteriously disappeared. Everyone in town knew about it, including the law, and not one person said nothin'. We all know what her and her sister did. And so does the river. It's in my blood, I guess.