9mm Handguns Under $600

Guest Star1021Scott

Guest Star1021Scott

Greetings all -

Obviously I know after reading the forums, asking for an opinion on a handgun thats right for you isn't really a valid question, because I would need to find one that feels right, etc...

However for the moment, I think my first handgun purchase is coming very soon, and I'd really like to research more than I already have.

My budget is going to be around $600 for this, so what options, makes, models, etc should I be looking at to research further?

Right now i've been really only researching the Glock 19, and the Baby Eagle.

Help as always, very appeciated.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

XD9, Glock, Kel-Tec PF9, CZ75, Kahr CW9, S&W M&P9, a used Sig, Taurus. Any of those are going to be good guns/brands for less than $600.

Edit: Forgot to ask, but what's going to be the purpose of the handgun? Carry, range gun, home defense?

Guest darkstar

With a budget of $600 you can definately get a quality firearm. I have a glock (not in 9mm) and heartilty reccomend them. As with any expensive purchase shop around and check out a bunch of different brands. Find the gun you feel most comfortable with. A lot of the places that have indoor ranges will rent guns and thats a good way to check out a lot of different ones without shelling out your dough and later deciding you don't really like it.

If you live in the Nashville area check out the below listed shops.

The Joelton Gun Shop aka Academy Of Self Protection http://www.academyofselfprotection.com/default.asp The folks up there are good guys and know their stuff, and their prices are fair and competitive.You can shoot there and they have pistols for rent. I'd also reccomend taking their HCP class if you choose to do so.

You can also check out the Rabbi's store Eastside Gunshop http://www.eastsidegunshop.com while he doesn't have a range he will take the time with you to help you with your purchase (he's a big fan of 9mm) and his prices are also fair and competitive.

Again, try out a bunch of different stuff and find the one that is best suited for you. Everyone has their favorites and any good quality gun will make you happy.

I landed on the Springfield Armory SD-9 after a lot of researching for my first handgun last summer. I've been very happy with it. At $525 it definitely fits your budget. It came with a hard case, two magazines, holster, mag holster, and lock, but I think all that is pretty standard with most guns in your price range.

Guest Star1021Scott

Its mainly going to be for home defense, and perhaps eventually to carry.

And yes, I live in Murfreesboro and work in Nashville...thanks.

Guest bkelm18
Its mainly going to be for home defense, and perhaps eventually to carry.

And yes, I live in Murfreesboro and work in Nashville...thanks.

I'd take a look at the Springfield Armory XD9 in either the subcompact or service size. They're good, very reliable guns that can be found for under $500 if you shop around a bit.

For a good all around 9mm, I agree with others that the GLOCK 19 or the XD9 are great first guns.

However, if you are looking for a pocket gun, I would recommend the Kel-Tec PF9. You can buy one for about $300, and then buy $300 of ammo with your left over money.

Always remember: a gun without ammo is just a chunk of plastic/metal.

For $600 you can buy an XD/Glock/M&P/etc... and have enough left over for some ammo and a decent holster. Another good option might be to look at some of the used P228s and P225s which are on the market now in the $400 range. Or, a Beretta 92FS is an excellent first centerfire pistol... those are available within your budget as well.

Guest Papabear

If you live in Murfreesboro you may want to swing by On Target since they the closest to you. They have a good selection of guns for rent. If it was my first gun purchase investing 50 bucks in actually shooting a couple different models to see how they feel is well worth the money. as everyone has said with a 600 dollar budget you have many fine quality guns to pick from.

If you shop around a little-you could probably get a Smith 5906 or 5904, or any other 3rd generation Smith Auto (or even a new Sigma) and a Kel-Tec or a Taurus for under $600 and cover several bases.

The biggest advantage would be flexibility in having a gun where you might need it-when you would need it.

The other advantage is that if you buy used-it will only appreciate in value. And handugns are always very liquid investments.

ETB/TG

I own several. The Glock is always a great choice. I also have a Kel-Tec PF9 that is great for carry. But another gun I have been looking at is Ruger's new SR9. It is thin, holds 17 +1 rounds, has a few other features that make it appear to be a good gun. G&A had a write up in their magazine. They put 12000 rounds through it with no failures. It has the light\laser rail. This would make a good home defense gun as well as a carry gun too. I have seen the SR9 for around $400 - but all depends on area and how well they are selling. $600 gives you a lot of choices. You are almost in the range of a good used EMP - which I have been looking for - mainly for the looks of this gun.

With a budget of $600 you can definately get a quality firearm. I have a glock (not in 9mm) and heartilty reccomend them. As with any expensive purchase shop around and check out a bunch of different brands. Find the gun you feel most comfortable with. A lot of the places that have indoor ranges will rent guns and thats a good way to check out a lot of different ones without shelling out your dough and later deciding you don't really like it.

If you live in the Nashville area check out the below listed shops.

The Joelton Gun Shop aka Academy Of Self Protection http://www.academyofselfprotection.com/default.asp The folks up there are good guys and know their stuff, and their prices are fair and competitive.You can shoot there and they have pistols for rent. I'd also reccomend taking their HCP class if you choose to do so.

You can also check out the Rabbi's store Eastside Gunshop http://www.eastsidegunshop.com while he doesn't have a range he will take the time with you to help you with your purchase (he's a big fan of 9mm) and his prices are also fair and competitive.

Again, try out a bunch of different stuff and find the one that is best suited for you. Everyone has their favorites and any good quality gun will make you happy.

Also check out Guns and Leather, they rent guns and have a good selection. www.gunsandleather.com

$600 is a lot of $$ for your first pistol. For a first pistol that will be used primarily as a home defense piece, I strongly recommend a slightly used "service" sized (4.5-5.35" barrel) model with a rail for light attachment.

As far as brands go, I'd recomment the Beretta, CZ, Glocks, H&K USP, Ruger P,SA XDs, SIG, & Taurus PT. I might even look a S&W. Just make sure that you can pickup hi-cap mags for less than $20.

Guest TNDixieGirl

My first gun purchase was the S&W Sigma 9VE for $300. I've been pleased so far. Very reliable, affordable to shoot and feels good in my hands. I'm now looking to get a Kel-Tec PF9 for when I need to carry a smaller gun.

CDNN has Sig P239 Blackened Stainless in 9mm NIB for $549.99...

Add another $50 for FFL transfer and Background check and that should hit

the $600 dollar mark.

As much as I hate to admit it... H&k for under $600 bucks is a little hard.

CDNN still has NIB HK USPc but in .357sig for $549.99. With 4 mags!

(1-12rd. and 3-10rd.)

They do have PSP p7s used for $599, but that pushes you over the $600 mark. Plus mags are expensive and if this is your first pistol you might not want a sueeze cocker. (I wish I had one... :( )

They also have some Full Size Used USP, Night Sights, varient 3's in .40sw

for $419.99-$449.99... but again not the cal. your looking for.

(Uh... I just got an order of Mags from them and have a catalog right in front of me. :))

But glocks, taurus, Smiths, XDs, etc. they all are pretty good guns.

Just find one that fits your hand well. :mad:

How difficult would it be to get a H&K USP 9mm used for a decent price?

From the HKpro forum these is all I found...

http://hkpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74142

Heckler & Koch USP 9mm Compact- used. AA Code (2000), night sights, Variant 1 trigger, DA/SA with external safety for optional cocked and locked carry. These are very good to excellent condition showing minor finish wear on the slide. Come with box, manual and two 13 round magazines. One magazine has the extended base pad and the other has the flat base plate.

$599.95

If your thinking about one for CCW, I'd hold one at a store first. they Are a bit blocky, when you consider the newer P2000sk's that are out there.

i like it because my hands are small, and it feels like a full size gun in my hand. But that is just me.

Guest ETS_Inc

As others have stated, I would recommend you consider the following models:

Glock 19 - Their reliability and durability are hard to beat. Glocks have been carried by law enforcement agencies in this country for 20+ years. Mags, holsters, and after-market accessories are everywhere. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting someone selling Glock accessories. I can get you a Glock 19, with Night Sights, for $600, out the door (tax and TICS included).

Springfield XD9 - Again, a very reliable and durable gun. Like the Glock, there are several different versions from which to choose. Unlike the Glock, the XD's include a holster and mag pouch with the gun. I can get you a Subcompact 9mm, with Trijicon Night Sights, for your $600, out the door (again, tax and TICS included).

S&W M&P 9 - New to the market, but the company has been around a long time. They know how to build a quality gun. The M&P has been getting a lot of good reviews, from both professional gun writers and everyone else, as well. I can get you an M&P 9 SubCompact (without night sights) for $575, out the door (again, tax and TICS included) - that leaves you $25 for ammo or range fees.

Frank

Guest ETS_Inc

By the way, $600 out the door breaks down like this:

$540.05 - Gun

$ 49.95 - Sales Tax

$ 10.00 - TICS check fee

I doubt you'll find a much cheaper price on either a Glock 19 or XD9 SC with night sights, at least not on a new gun.

Guest Star1021Scott

And this makes me wonder a bit, ultimately, what is the risk of buying a used gun from a reputable site/person?

Obviously I know I can save some money, but is it worth it?