9mm Handguns Under $600

Guest Star1021Scott

Guest ETS_Inc

If it's a quality-made gun from the start, such as a Glock, XD, S&W, or HK, you shouldn't have much to worry about. If you do have concerns, take it to a gunsmith, or someone you trust that knows about guns, and have them look at it.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ETS_Inc

Don't be fooled by the Hi-Point's price. Granted, it's ugly and blocky, but in the right hands, it can be deadly. The last class I taught, one of the students qualified with a Hi-Point C9 he had borrowed from his dad.

We use a human silohette target for qualifying. If the student puts all 50 rounds intot he 4" orange circle in the center, we give them a free box of ammo. So far, in 5+ years, only three people have done it, and two of them used Kimbers. (The course of fire is 12 @ 3 yds, 12 @ 7 yds, and 26 @ 15 yds.)

This guy put 47 out of 50 in the orange circle, with two going 3/4" high and to the right, and one going 1/2" low and to the left. Not too bad for a beginner shooter using one of the most frequently derided handguns on the market. All three of his flyers came at 15 yards.

You had mentioned the baby eagle as one of you choices. I would recommend this gun, even though it a bit heavy for concealed carry. My son says I'm cheating when I pull this gun out at the range to compete with him. It will hit anything I aim at correctly. Its accuracy is far better than mine. It looks cool too!!!

You had mentioned the baby eagle as one of you choices. I would recommend this gun, even though it a bit heavy for concealed carry. My son says I'm cheating when I pull this gun out at the range to compete with him. It will hit anything I aim at correctly. Its accuracy is far better than mine. It looks cool too!!!

I looked at A Baby Eagle today and really liked the looks of it. Would like to shoot one. Fits my hand perfect, kinda has the fill of A Beretta.

Guest TargetShooter84

My first gun was Glock 19, I love it and it was worth the money for my first purchase of a handgun, I use it for target shooting and CCW, I do agree it is little bulky for CCW but it is more reliable and accurate...JMHO

Guest TNHillbilly

I had an XD9 for a few years.

Overall, it's a good gun, but a bit large/blocky for carry on my frame.

I traded about 3 weeks ago in Franklin, for a Ruger SP101 .357 and a NAA Guardian .380.

These both fit as carry much better. I put them in some Uncle Mikes IWB holsters.

With a light jacket or large shirt, there's no print at all.

Of course these can be used as home defense also, but for that I also keep a Ruger Security Six .357 6.75 inch with SilverTips for special occasions.

By the way, $600 out the door breaks down like this:

$540.05 - Gun

$ 49.95 - Sales Tax

$ 10.00 - TICS check fee

I doubt you'll find a much cheaper price on either a Glock 19 or XD9 SC with night sights, at least not on a new gun.

That is a nice price...I shopped around for awhile and finally found a new XD9 SC for $500 OTD (included tax and TICS). TFOs were another $100 - $110 installed, so thats right in line, if not a few bucks more than your price. In this area, its hard to find a XD9 SC for under $450 new (most average around $480+ from what I encountered), then factor in night sights, etc.

:koolaid:

I suggest all of those mentioned, all quality guns, can't add anything else. Go out to a range and rent them, choose the one that feels the best to you, that you are most comfortable with, and your decision will have been made.

You definitely want to hold a Glock and XD before making a decision. Very noticeable differences in the grip angle and overall size. I have pretty small hands so the Glock just didn't feel comfortable to me at all. I don't think you could go wrong w/ either make.

Of all the gun mentioned here without a doubt in my mind the Baby Eagle is the best.

It is not to big to be concealed. Heck about any gun can be concealed, and a BE is not that big. Great trigger, great sights, hands down the winner.

When you are ready to play with the big boys come to John Browning's church!

If possible, go to the range and rent a Glock 19, a Smith M&P, and a Springfield XD. Try to find similar sizes and barrel lengths to avoid apples-to-oranges comparisons. These are all ~$450-$550 guns, and have reputations for simplicity, accuracy, and reliability. Night sights will usually add $75-$100. Also, lots of aftermarket sights, holsters, and other accessories will be common for all three, especially the Glock.

A cheap gun doesn't always mean a good first gun. $600 will allow you to find a great first weapon, and you may never feel the need for a different one. I have found that a more expensive weapon is not always an upgrade. BTW, if you decide on the M&P, I would strongly recommend finding one that DOES NOT have the magazine disconnect safety option. These are rarely in stock, but ordering one should not be a problem. I may get flamed for this, but the magazine disconnect is a terrible feature, in my opinion.

+1 for the xd9.i have one and have about a grand tied up in it.like the evil glock,its highly customable with stuff everywhere.get one with night sights,it really realy makes a differrnce when dark.

a glock is also a great starter gun.easy to clean.you only have to oil it in one spot,but they like to go off if you dont practice your 4 ruls of gun safety.

buy three Hi Points :D

you can get six jimenez arms B)

or twelve lorcin .380's :rolleyes:

Guest canynracer
If possible, go to the range and rent a Glock 19, a Smith M&P, and a Springfield XD. Try to find similar sizes and barrel lengths to avoid apples-to-oranges comparisons. These are all ~$450-$550 guns, and have reputations for simplicity, accuracy, and reliability. Night sights will usually add $75-$100. Also, lots of aftermarket sights, holsters, and other accessories will be common for all three, especially the Glock.

A cheap gun doesn't always mean a good first gun. $600 will allow you to find a great first weapon, and you may never feel the need for a different one. I have found that a more expensive weapon is not always an upgrade. BTW, if you decide on the M&P, I would strongly recommend finding one that DOES NOT have the magazine disconnect safety option. These are rarely in stock, but ordering one should not be a problem. I may get flamed for this, but the magazine disconnect is a terrible feature, in my opinion.

:rolleyes::up:

Guest bkelm18
I may get flamed for this, but the magazine disconnect is a terrible feature, in my opinion.

I agree. The only gun I've owned with the mag disconnect safety was a Ruger P345. The first thing I did when I got it home was to disable the mag disc. safety.

Guest Fastzntn

Another vote for XD9 here. It was my first handgun and I still have it. I prefer the service model with the 4" barrel, I believe now they are coming with 16 round mags with the 9mm. I purchased mine from a buddy for $400. Some reasons to consider buying new are these- the newer XD guns have a better and more durable finish on the slide, and by the way the warranty is spelled out the lifetime warranty is only good for the original owner.

On another note, one of the things about the XD9 that appealed to me was that the ammo was cheap. Lately the price advantage that the 9mm has over the .40 has diminished. Actually the last time that I went to the evil empire that is Wal Mart, .40 was cheaper than 9mm....... Something to think about because with any of the guns mentioned in this thread you WILL get hooked, and you WILL go to the range a lot :eek: