Don't open if you have a weak stomach

Guest GLOCKGUY

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jackdog

I've owned Glocks for years. I agree that having to pull the trigger to break it down is not my favorite way to do things, but good safe weapon clearing makes that facet a non issue. If one runs a finger over the extractor it will be slightly raised if a round is in the chamber. Proper clearing procedure. With fire arm pointed in a safe direction. remove magazine. Pull slide to the rear to eject chambered round. pull slide to the rear a second time and engage slide lock. visually check chamber and grip well to make sure they are clear. Put pinkie finger into the chamber to verify. Release slide. with fire arm pointed in a safe direction pull trigger. Continue with the weapon disassembly.

Guest jackdog

Hey hansolo the only way a glock is going to go off is if you pull the damn trigger. As with your beloved XD the glock has always had a loaded chamber indicator. Guns go bang at the wrong time because the operator gets stupid. Stupid people should not play with firearms. If you are not on target and know whats beyond that target your trigger finger needs to flat along the slide. Glocks and S&W"s XD'S go bang because people f*#k up plain and simple.

when i clear my glock, i do it this way every time. i drop the magazine then manually work the slide 4 or 5 times then i lock the slide open. i look in through the top to the barrel, always pointing it at a light. after visual and physical verification the weapon is empty, i release the slide lock, point the weapon at the ground and pull the trigger then remove the slide from the frame.

the guy whose picture was shown had to either be a newbie or he was just in one hell of a hurry and paid the price. either way, it was a stupid, careless mistake. im sure the last thought when the trigger was pulled was how big is the hole in my hand gonna be, and where will the round go after it shatters my hand?

who in the world puts a flat palm against the barrel of a gun when breaking it down? i have never done that nor do i personally know anyone that has done that.

I don't want to doubt the validity of the Op but I am pretty sure I have seen this pic before on another forum back in the summer.

Anyway it is a good reminder to be careful.

I'm also skeptical about a guy named GLOCKGUY who just joined this month and has only 10 posts making a thread about a negligent discharge with an XD...

Not saying it isn't true just saying it's a little coincidental.

I'm not sure why Glocks are again catching heat on this matter, but a friend of mine bought an M&P yesterday. It has no manual safety, but seemed to have a lighter, shorter trigger pull than a Glock. Don't get me wrong, I like the thing a lot, but if a Glock is dangerous, then an M&P is deadly!

Guest GLOCKGUY
OK well I thought I would share this image so everyone understands to always always always make sure there is no round in the chamber when cleaning your gun and on top of that don't put your hand in front of the barrel anyways even if you are 100% sure the chamber is cleared. Good gun safety and gun handling could have avoided this.

a friend of mine emailed me this he said his buddy was cleaning a .40 hand gun and thought it was unloaded

12495_SwaneyHand_1.jpg

BRANKET WROTE

[i'm also skeptical about a guy named GLOCKGUY who just joined this month and has only 10 posts making a thread about a negligent discharge with an XD...]

if you read my post i said i got this from a friend of mine in an email so i went by what he told me what dose a guy with 10 post have to do with it being true or not i just thought some of you guys mite like to see it thats all i guess when you "BRANKET" post something on here there must be something more behind it then what your saying..i was always told a guy who thinks everyone is lieing is the one who is always lieing them self so just :D oh ya by the way i have 11 post now 12495_icon_smile_thumbup_1.gif12495_icon_smile_thumbup_1.gif

p.s i have nothing against the XD i have a Springfield XD in 45GAP 12495_icon_smile_thumbup_1.gif

Well if you go ahead and read my post again (also take note of the spelling of my username while you're at it) I said:

Not saying it isn't true just saying it's a little coincidental.

I'm not calling anyone out on anything, I'm also not overly concerned about what kind of gun it was, just saying it seemed odd is all. I'm already quite chill so I'll let you take that pill yourself.

Hey hansolo the only way a glock is going to go off is if you pull the damn trigger. As with your beloved XD the glock has always had a loaded chamber indicator. Guns go bang at the wrong time because the operator gets stupid. Stupid people should not play with firearms. If you are not on target and know whats beyond that target your trigger finger needs to flat along the slide. Glocks and S&W"s XD'S go bang because people f*#k up plain and simple.

I was just messing with the glock people. I have nothing against a glock at all. It just seems that the majority of stories about somebody doing something stupid, it usualy happens with a glock. But like you said, that is stupid operator, not stupid gun.

If I did not have kids and a paranoid wife I would probably own a glock. Even though she has a permit she is always super nervous with having a gun around the house that has no safety whatsoever and such a light trigger pull. And the thing that did her in on glocks was the story in Nashville several years ago where a cop laid his glock on the table and his little kid picked it up and shot him with it by accident.

All that being said. This is still one of my favorite videos:

http://www.limestonemedia.com/funny-video/video/cops_and_guns1.mov

I still love my XD as well as my 1911 and steyr. But not near as much as my AR-15.

...having a gun around the house that has no safety whatsoever...

Uh oh. I feel a "no safety" argument brewing from the Glock advocates.

I believe I know what you mean, though. My wife also has trouble with any handgun that doesn't have a manual lever that she can activate.

Guest jackdog

Hey Han, I understand how some may fear a gun without a safety. But anyone leaving a gun laying around where a kid can get hold of it is once again a stupid operator.

I've carried weapons in combat for years with the safety off. The only true safety is keeping your finger away from the trigger, and a clear head. By the way Glock bashing is fine with me if it makes others feel superior for one reason or another. Bottom line is there are no gun accidents. Just stupid people.

I'm not sure why Glocks are again catching heat on this matter, but a friend of mine bought an M&P yesterday. It has no manual safety, but seemed to have a lighter, shorter trigger pull than a Glock. Don't get me wrong, I like the thing a lot, but if a Glock is dangerous, then an M&P is deadly!

Just for the record....the M&P's have a sear deactivation lever. So there is no need to pull the trigger during disassembly.

now before all of you guys and gals who love glocks, as do I, go crazy here, let me tell you a story. My buddy who is a big gun guy and has vast knowledge on firearms and safety, was taking his glock 40 cal down for cleaning. Oh it gets better. as many of you glock folks know, to release the slide you push the slide back slightly and release the slide pins on both sides and then slide forward to come off. My buddy pushed the slide back from the barrel side and noticed it wouldn't move as normal. then he thought "oh yeah the trigger has to be released for the slide to move" this is where it gets crazy. as you can imagine, with the mag out and all his gun knowledge......BAM! right through his left palm. Always,Always,Always place your right hand on the back of the slide near the rear sights and squeeze the slide back then release the slide locks. Never put your hand in front of the barrel. PLEASE!!!! Now he has healed up very nicely and only suffered a couple of broken fingers and a big hole in his hand. But after a cast, theropy, and a reality check, he is good to go. It does not matter what type of gun it is, always treat it as it were loaded. NO MATTER WHAT!
One of the Glock armorer's in Atlanta show me the correct way to field strip the Glock and that is the right hand on top, at rear with thump on back strap pulling back on slide with left hand under in front of trigger guard with thumb and fore finger on the slide pins. Nothing near the muzzle that way.

I'm not sure why Glocks are again catching heat on this matter, but a friend of mine bought an M&P yesterday. It has no manual safety, but seemed to have a lighter, shorter trigger pull than a Glock. Don't get me wrong, I like the thing a lot, but if a Glock is dangerous, then an M&P is deadly

I always thought that the danger in a Glock was the non fully supported chamber with a .40S&W round, and the fact you need to pull the trigger as the first step in a takedown of the weapon.

One of the Glock armorer's in Atlanta show me the correct way to field strip the Glock and that is the right hand on top, at rear with thump on back strap pulling back on slide with left hand under in front of trigger guard with thumb and fore finger on the slide pins. Nothing near the muzzle that way.

Same method I use on my Sigma.

the danger in glocks are newbies that dont know wtf they are doing.

I'm sorry, strick, but were you born knowing everything?

Saying newbies that don't know wtf they are doing is a blanket statement.

I can recall spending a long time when I first purchased a handgun (and before) taking the time to do research and learn the ins and outs of it. Once I purchased I made sure to read the owners manual cover to cover. Even if I had a very similar gun it is not the same so I make sure to know what each part does.

I am sure I am not the only one.

While I carry one on a daily basis, I would have to agree some what that the "safe action trigger" being the only "safety" on the weapon is a flaw. Many things can happen to cause and AD. The foremost being the thumb break on a holster flopping inside the trigger guard during re-holstering and causing a discharge in to the ground or worse the leg or foot.

As long as people are careful and pay attention to what they are doing and don't put their bugger grabber where it don't belong when it don't belong there Glocks are just as safe as an XD or a 1911 that is cocked and locked or any other pistol for that matter.

The problem here is the person that shot their hand got complacent. That is the number one killer on every level for almost every unnatural death not attributed to another person.