Question about Charter Arms

bayouvol

I was looking at the Charter revolvers yesterday and noticed that the trigger guard and maybe the back strap are made of plastic. Did anyone else notice this and is it a problem. I could not tell on the back because the grip covered all but the top back portion. I wanted a target pug 357 but now I wonder about the durability of the gun. Does anyone have knowledge of this gun and do they hold up?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had A couple of Charters over the years, the is a two piece design. The grip/trigger guard of the ones I have seen and had were aluminium not plastic. The ones I had were pretty poor quality, horrible triggers, the newer ones are supposed to be a lot better. If I were in the market for a small revolver I would look for a used Smith or Ruger.

I have never owned a Charter Arms revoler but know that they have been around since the mid 60's. The plastic parts would scare me. When I was growing up in the 1970's Charter had a rep for being a Saturday night special kinda like Raven Arms. If you are looking for a Budget .357 Snubby, might I suggest a Rossi? I own one and it has been an outstanding pistol. Mine has well over 1000 rounds through it without a hitch. I even used it to qualify for my HCP and hit 100% using double action only. Plus you can get them new for under $300.00 if you look hard.

I have an old Undercover alloy from the 60's. I think it was the first US gun maker to use alloyed metal frames, but not sure.

Anyway, no idea if current Charters have polymer trigger housings/etc or not, but if they are, they are likely more durable than aluminum.

Certainly the Ruger 10/22 polymer ones are; the old aluminum ones broke if dropped.

- OS

I have a dummy gun I got from Charter for holster making for the Bulldog Pug revolver; it is all stainless steel metal and a one-piece frame. It was made from blemished parts and welded so it couldn't be converted for use, but it's definitely an actual frame, barrel, cylinder, and small parts - all metal. I looked at their website and see their Undercover Lite is a combination of aluminum and steel, but see no mention of plastic. If they are making one with a plastic grip, it wouldn't be a unique thing in pocket revolvers. The Ruger LCR and (I think) the new Smith & Wesson Bodyguard uses polymer grip parts. As far as Charter's quality, the company went through a change in ownership a few years ago and from what I have heard the quality has improved a lot. Would I buy one? Maybe, but I would have to handle an actual specimen to make that decision. I know CCA here in Knoxville sells them and they don't tend to deal in junk guns, so take that for what it's worth.

After spending some time fixing and tuning revolvers I would only go with S&W or Ruger. If you want a smallish revolver to send magnums downrange I would get the Ruger SP101. If you need a BUG that carries well in an ankle holster get a lightweight S&W .38. I've had 5 or 6 Taurus, a couple of Charter Arms and several Rossi.

Guest mikedwood

I think with a bit more polishing and finishing of the metal and using polymier or metal instead of plastic in some place a Charter Arms would be OK. But if I were looking for a revolver with the intention of using it at the range or for personal defense I'd get a Smith, Colt or Ruger.

I think with a bit more polishing and finishing of the metal and using polymier or metal instead of plastic in some place a Charter Arms would be OK. ..

1. "polymer" is "plastic"

2. nobody has shown that Charter uses polymer/plastic at all. I don't believe they do. Do you know they do?

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I don't know about now. But my Dad, Father in Law and my old partner in the club business all carried their snub nose in .44 special and loved them. All of these pistols are over 20 to 30 years old and they all loved them. My Dad carried his day in and out at his store in his front pocket with no holster in the 70's-thru 90's. I have often thought about buying one since my dad passed and nobody seems to know what happend to his pistol. I have looked at some and from what I can see they worked and locked up well. It is just in the finish department they lacked. In a .44 I don't know of anybody makes a pistol this size.

That being said I own a couple of J-Frame S&W in .38+P. :D

Edited by R1100R
Guest mikedwood
1. "polymer" is "plastic"

2. nobody has shown that Charter uses polymer/plastic at all. I don't believe they do. Do you know they do?

- OS

I know Polymer is a plastic but it's a bit tougher then regular plastic.

I had a friend whose husband passed away and after a a year or so I cleaned his old charter arms (it was probably late 90's, not that old) for her. It was a filthy mess so I took it completely apart and cleaned the internals as well. There were two parts in it (but I don't remember what parts they were) that were regular plastic like a kids toy is made of and I remeber thinking for another $3.00 in parts this would be a nice gun. I'm no engineer and maybe that plastic was perfectly stress tested and I'm wrong but it just seemed to me another $3.00 or so would be better.

Also one of my friends got a Charter Arms pug and he was estatic about it. We both had Taurus and Ruger revolvers and the Pug seemed Ok and felt good. neither of us could hit a target at 7 yards with it. We let two other people try it at the range and they couldn't either (one was an old marksman and the other was John who owned Gunny's at the time). He took it right upstairs and traded it for something else.

After those two experiences (being my only with Charter Arms) a Charter Arms would have to be cheap for me to want to buy it. There are just simply much better guns out there for the same money in my opinion. I will disclose that I am currently a huge fan of the used Ruger Security Sixes, for the money those are about the best revolver out there (for the money) and also the little light weight Smiths and Taurus in .38 for pocket carry.

Guest mmarcum

Well my wife carries a charco which is what charter arms became I'de say 12 or more years ago. It is a well built gun and although it is not a range gun it does what it is made for, and that is concealing. My wife had her pick and was leaning toward a 38 S&W air weight, but the gentleman she was dealing with pissed her off so she went with the 357 pug and never blinked. She carries it all day everyday and would not trade it.

The ones marked Charco and Charter 2000 are actually the ones that some folks who claim to know say are of compromised build quality.

I have one of the original Bodyguards Undercovers from the 60's. Got it used in a swap years ago, dunno how many rounds through it previously. I shot maybe 100, including bunch of +p, all fine. It lives under my Mom's couch cushion now. She can barely hold onto it when it goes off, but it was the only gun in my entire collection she could work. (she's small and 85). Double action is much lighter than a Jframe or my Ruger SP101 or even my .22 H&R revo.

charter.jpgundercover.jpg

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest mikedwood
The ones marked Charco and Charter 2000 are actually the ones that some folks who claim to know say are of compromised build quality.

I have one of the original Bodyguards from the 60's. Got it used in a swap years ago, dunno how many rounds through it previously. I shot maybe 100, including bunch of +p, all fine. It lives under my Mom's couch cushion now. She can barely hold onto it when it goes off, but it was the only gun in my entire collection she could work. (she's small and 85). Double action is much lighter than a Jframe or my Ruger SP101 or even my .22 H&R revo.

- OS

They don't make them like that anymore. Nice snubbie.

Had one of those early Charter's an undercover and a 44 Bulldog, sure wish I'd kept them. I have no experence with the new ones, I heard from a friend that he has to watch for screws shooting loose?

I have one of the original Bodyguards Undercovers from the 60's. Got it used in a swap years ago, dunno how many rounds through it previously. I shot maybe 100, including bunch of +p, all fine. It lives under my Mom's couch cushion now. She can barely hold onto it when it goes off, but it was the only gun in my entire collection she could work. (she's small and 85). Double action is much lighter than a Jframe or my Ruger SP101 or even my .22 H&R revo.

- OS

Me like! :D

J&G sales had a limited edition Undercover listed in their collector section for 2 months, gold inlaid, listed for 350, just checked, it's gone now, I considered it, .... but I only paid 110 new, for the one I had in 79. Lot of people messed up the firing pins in the early editions dry-firing them. The paper work with mine PLAINLY stated that the firing pin was made or Beryllium and NOT to dry-fire without using snap-caps!!! Just something to watch for when buying old ones.

... .... but I only paid 110 new, for the one I had in 79. Lot of people messed up the firing pins in the early editions dry-firing them. The paper work with mine PLAINLY stated that the firing pin was made or Beryllium and NOT to dry-fire without using snap-caps!!! Just something to watch for when buying old ones.

Wow, good to know.

Dunno if my old one has the beryllium fp or not. I have dry fired it some, not obsessively, but who knows, maybe a hundred times. I'll refrain from that in the future, though.

thanks,

- OS

Guest BG38357
I know CCA here in Knoxville sells them and they don't tend to deal in junk guns, so take that for what it's worth.

Where are there Charter Arms dealers in this area?

I think they're worth a look.

Thanks,

-BUD