Old Browning 16Ga.?

flyanything

I was over a friends house today and he pulled out this old Browning 16Ga. and asked me if I knew anything about it. Of course I didn't. So I'm looking for any information about this that I can come up with. It has no markings as far as a model number, style or type. I has a serial #94xxx and Made in Belgium on the barrel. He's not interested in selling, just wants to find out some info. on it so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

Here's some close up detail. If anybody knows anything about this shotgun, I told him that TGO'ers would.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a Browning A5. There are scads of them out there, and the nice ones are bringing some pretty good money. They seem to have a cult like following. The one you pictured is a pretty early specimen. Looks like it has been abused. The stock has been cut. If it is mechanically sound, it would make a good shooter, but in it's shape, it wouldn't command a high price as a collector. It was manufactured prior to 1939. What else were you wanting to know about it?

Edited by gregintenn
Looks like a Browning A5. There are scads of them out there, and the nice ones are bringing some pretty good money. They seem to have a cult like following. The one you pictured is a pretty early specimen. Looks like it has been abused. The stock has been cut. If it is mechanically sound, it would make a good shooter, but in it's shape, it wouldn't command a high price as a collector. It was manufactured prior to 1939. What else were you wanting to know about it?
how can you tell that the stock has been cut?

I have one and love it. Not the best shooting or softest recoil (Rem 1100 in 12 gauge has softer recoil) but the slight kick is well worth it and nothing to complain about. The pure nostalgia factor does it for me plus the fact that mine was made in the US during WWII due to the fact that the Nazis over ran Belgium and took over FNH to turn out arms for the Wermacht.

The A5 was the first production semi-auto to hit the market and experience real success.

All in all it is a great gun with a lot of history and another true testament the the genius of John M. Browning but hey what else can you expect from the man who gave us "The world's finest close quarter combat weapon." If you take a look at JMBs inventions and how many are still in use today in both the military and civilian world it is truly remarkable.

Anyway the only bad thing I can say about my A5 is that I hate buying 16 gauge shells!

how can you tell that the stock has been cut?

It appears shorter than factory, ans should have a buttplate made from horn instead of a rubber recoil pad.

And...Is this not a "Sweet Sixteen"?

Don't think so. The "Sweet Sixteen" shotguns had that inscription engraved in the side of the receiver.

It appears shorter than factory, ans should have a buttplate made from horn instead of a rubber recoil pad.

Don't think so. The "Sweet Sixteen" shotguns had that inscription engraved in the side of the receiver.

I see..and yes...you're right about markings on the receiver...mine has "Light Twelve" on it..

I have a 12 gauge that depends on where you look was made in 1928 or 1932. It was a carry back from WWII and has no import marks. It has the straight or English stock, but is chambered for 2 3/4" shells. A-5's are recoil operated. The barrel and part of the breach are made together and recoil together(I think those are the right terms). The little lever on the side is a magazine disconnect. It is of course designed by John M. Browning.

He sent me a couple of pics. of the stock. One side has a round burn spot. It dosen't look shortened at all.

5.jpg

6.jpg

I'm wandering about the value of such an item. This link was one of the first available when I did a search. They seem to have some nice prices.

Browning Shotguns for sale on ShootersXchange.com - Classified Gun Ads, Online Gun Store

Any opinions on this? Still not for sale, just researching.

The term sweet sixteen was first mention is a sales piece from Browning to dealers in 1939 I believe. I know it was in the 30's. They didn't not start engraving them as Sweet Sixteen until around late forties or early fifties. I used to have several sweet sixteens and a great book from fn on all the a-5s. Cant remember the exact dates but I am in the ballpark. The sweet 16s from the late fifties are the most sought after.

The butt pad is definitely added on. As someone mentioned it should have an engraved horn butt plate.

Here is a link to a 16 ga forum. There are some good guys there with a lot of info on 16ga guns.

16ga.com ~ Index

They are still great shooters if you have the ammo.

Nice 16. Thanks for sharing it.

I'm not trying to belittle your gun, but it appears to be in poor shape. To bring the premiums you are thinking of, it needs to be in excellent, unmolested condition. This gun will be worth whatever utility value it represents. Probably a couple hundred bucks.

9857e659.jpg

Do you see how the wood to metal fit is in this picture?

6.jpg

Now look at the gap between the wood and metal here. This stock has been sanded, cut, and otherwise butchered. That repels collectors.