Hog Hunting

Guest UKTN

Guest jeff!

i always hear how everyone thinks it is un sporting or something to use dogs but from first hand experience you work harder for a hog with dogs... i dunno how many people can chase a dog all day over a mountain and actually keep up with it.... and the pigs fight back...i talked to our guide a month after our hunt and the week after we left one pig killed 2 dogs while they were chasing it...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I dont think I would want to use dogs for fear the dogs might get hurt or accidently get shot in the process. Holy crap....a .45 taking more then 3 shots to stop...thats crazy...I would love to go on somethin like that but only if someone else wanted the meat...I wouldnt want to waste it.

Yeah I dont think I would want to use dogs for fear the dogs might get hurt or accidently get shot in the process. Holy crap....a .45 taking more then 3 shots to stop...thats crazy...I would love to go on somethin like that but only if someone else wanted the meat...I wouldnt want to waste it.

I know folks that hunt hogs regularly in Ga, and they have kevlar vests for their dogs, similar to this one..also with neck collars that are short enough to allow ease of movement but tall enough to protect them from a fatal goring...

http://www.valleycreekhuntingsupply.com/Products/hog.htm

'

Guest c_o_jones
With feral hogs it wouldn't be wasting meat anymore than prairie dogs. Course with hogs there is actually good meat.

You got that right! Store-bought pork has all the flavor farmed right out of it.

Here are some (feral) hog shoulders on my buddy's cooker. People just don't know until they try it. :)

wildturkey2006bbqpictures0164e.jpg

Guest jeff!

there were first time hunters down there you have the choice of taking a guide with you... there is plenty of info on that web site i posted before www.wildernesshuntinglodge.com You need camo and an orange vest just like any hunts you do and the gun of choice... 44 magnum, high powered rifle, shotgun etc you name it... Anyone who is slightly interested in doing this i say go for it you wont regret it!!!

Magic, a 12 gauge with slugs is what alot of folks use. It also has a massive damage potential which is what you need with those critters.

the .44 is always a great back up...That's my vote..but I'm not as buck wild as some folks...they're more proficient at pistol hunting and use long barreled pistols of large caliber, to do the work...sounds :) to me.. :D

Talked to a fellow at sports show for about an hour. From Crossville Area,told us how they only hunt large washed out ditches and all use big bore revolvers. Said you only had time for quick shot as you rounded corner they would run. Asked him if he was ever charged and said never ditch hunting in twenty five years. Claims he has great luck compared to woods. Interesting and sure knew what he was talking about.

Sure want to try it sometime.

Talked to a fellow at sports show for about an hour. From Crossville Area,told us how they only hunt large washed out ditches and all use big bore revolvers. Said you only had time for quick shot as you rounded corner they would run. Asked him if he was ever charged and said never ditch hunting in twenty five years. Claims he has great luck compared to woods. Interesting and sure knew what he was talking about.

Sure want to try it sometime.

let me know how that works out for ya! :D

as for me? getting me hemmed up in a ditch where I have only 1 way to run (running past a wild boar is NOT an option in my book) and its POSSIBLE for him to charge? ...that guy has guts! and with a pistol? I don't think I'm that good with one...

Guest crytes

I want a 10mm auto for this pourpos. Seen quite a few articles of people taking boar whith glock 20s. Also need to get my mouser to a gunsmith for the long shots

Guest yankeegonesouthern

I did a lot of hog hunting while I was stationed at Ft Polk, Louisianna. All ya had to do was walk into the bar with your pockets full of corn. :D Oh wait, wrong type of hog hunting. hehehe... I did kill several every year and they were good eating too. My son told me that Ft Benning hog are so plentiful that they have year round hog hunting(no closed season).