Suppressors at TN/Federal Shooting Ranges?

Guest mac_05evo

Guest mac_05evo

I just got my F4s back on my first two suppressors. Today at work a lady I know happened to come in that is a law enforcement officer for the USDA. I was asking her about hunting with suppressors which led to another topic, she told me I wasn't allowed to take it to my local shooting range (Spring Creek Shooting Range)?? I was under the impression I could no problem as that is really the only place I have to shoot at the moment. She also told me I couldn't take them into GA which I believe to be inaccurate as well (even with out a 5320.20 I should be able to), so I'm not really sure how much she honestly knows about NFA laws. It just has me worried and I wanted to see what others thought. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can take it into GA. Suppressors and AOW's are exempt from having to file a 5320.20. Alot of LEO do not know this though. ATF will approve a 5320.20 if you send it in on a supprrssor, so it is usually not a bad idea to have one. But legally you don't have to.

Guest mac_05evo
I've used mine at the TWRA Stones River and Montgomery County ranges without any problems.

Stones River personnel asked to see my Form 4. Montgomery County didn't.

You can take it into GA. Suppressors and AOW's are exempt from having to file a 5320.20. Alot of LEO do not know this though. ATF will approve a 5320.20 if you send it in on a supprrssor, so it is usually not a bad idea to have one. But legally you don't have to.

Thanks for the reassurance guys, this is exactly what I was thinking. I do plan on getting 5320.20s for the suppressors. I figure the more proof showing you're legal the better.

Guest mac_05evo

Oh, btw, do any of you guys have any advice on hunting with suppressors?

ETA: When I say hunting I'm thinking coyote (and other small varmints) hunting on private property.

Edited by mac_05evo

On page 12 of the 2008-2009 Hunting and trapping guide there is inaccurate information. In the section Illegal Equipment #10, it states that it is illegal to possess a short barreled shotgun or rifle therefore it is unlawful to hunt with one. It has never been illegal to possess a short barreled rifle or shotgun. All you have to do is fill out a form 4 or form 1 as per ATF instructions. This includes a background check, finger print cards, and a sign off by the local Sheriff. This is sent to the ATF with a $200 check. The ATF dose a thorough background check and if you are clean you are given a $200 tax stamp on your form 4. You must keep this form with the gun at all times. The process takes up to four months. If it is your opinion that these firearms are dangerous due to their shorter barrel I refer you to page 16 Legal Equipment #6. It states that center fire handguns firing a single projectile and having a barrel length of four inches or more....... Some of the hand guns have 14 to 16 inch barrels on them, the addition of a stock would only make them safer to handle. I am not implying that some one should be able to hunt with a illegal firearm I am merely suggesting that the rules allow for someone who legally owns one of these firearms be aloud to hunt with them.

Thank you for your time

Alleycat72

Mr. Alleycat72

You're e-mail has been forwarded to me for a response.

Paragraph 10, page 12 of the 2008 Hunting & Trapping Guide incorrectly states why short barrel rifles and shotguns are illegal to use for hunting. The reason is because the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Commission has not proclaimed them for use in hunting.

Thank you for bringing our attention to this matter.

Sheryl D. Holtam

General Counsel

TN Wildlife Resources Agency

PO Box 40747

Nashville, TN 37204

615-781-6606 phone

615-781-5264 fax

Sheryl.Holtam@state.tn.us

#10 was dropped in the next hunting guide

Guest mac_05evo

Alleycat, thank you for all the info!

Fred, holler at me some weekend when you're free and I'll come up! It gets dark so dang early probably won't have any time to during the week due to work schedule.

Guest mac_05evo
Mac, bring 'em over here. I have ~150 yrd range.

Thanks for letting us come up and do some shooting this weekend, had a blast! We will have to do it again soon!

IMG_4812w.jpg

Guest the_accuser

I take my suppressors and SBRs to my folks in GA and SC all the time. You don't need to fill out 5320's for silencers. Several years ago I kept filling them out for silencers and by the third time the ATF sent them back along with a letter saying it wasn't necessary for silencers.

Guest mac_05evo
Mac, thanks for coming out and letting us shoot them. Those are some sweet rifles you have. Hopefully next time the weather will be a bit better.

Thanks as well for letting me shoot that sweet collection of DW's!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest BungieCord
I've used mine at the TWRA Stones River and Montgomery County ranges without any problems.

Stones River personnel asked to see my Form 4. Montgomery County didn't.

Stones River no longer asks. TWRA realized it was none of their concern.

You can't hunt with a suppressor in TN.

Yes, you can. I called TWRA specifically to ask about that.