lead wheel weight days are numbered

Guest bang-flash

Guest bang-flash

this may be old news to some, but i thought i would pass it on to those that haven't heard. apparently the the great empire of kalifornia has banned oem car manufacturers from supplying new vehicles for sale with lead wheel weights in the very near future. since california generally leads the way in such policies it will be a matter of time before other states or the feds make such rules nationwide.

Edited by bang-flash
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tombstone
One thing for sure is that changing over will end up costing comsumers more money.

California ought to just go be their own country and leave all the rest of us out of it.

I was thinking the same thing, but would like to add something. After they are their own country and Arnold is their feerless leader; why don't we declare war on them.

I bet ole Arny would change his mind about guns the same instance that he stared down the barrel of one.

Guest bang-flash
can we start a petition to sell california

why would anyone want that place? now if it was totally devoid of humans, then it would be a great place to outdoor recreate. but other than that it doesn't have much going for it in my eyes.

Guest canynracer

WOW...you guys are cold...I was born and raised in Cali....lived there 30 yrs...

its not THAT bad....

you all cant be that attached to your wheel weights...LOL...

not to mention, this was not created in CA...it was created in the midwest...CA is just adopting it because of the amount of cars they have on the road...

http://www.leadfreewheels.org/program.shtml

you can also see at the bottom of that site,

the the steel are not bigger,

they are using zinc as an alternative, they are still no bigger and they are already being made here in TN : PERFECT EQUIPMENT, INC. LaVergne, TN

and it wont cost much, they are already using the lead free weights on vehicles coming off the factory lne (2nd to last link on the site has a list of vehicles)

you probably own one of them already B)

Edited by canynracer

I was born and raised in Cali....lived there 30 yrs...

maybe you are qualified to explain why things appear so screwed up there?

And, lol if it is so nice why did'ja leave, huh?

Just raggin on you a bit about leaving but maybe you can explain what is good about it.

Guest canynracer

I left cause of the cost of living...I was offered a relocation so I took it.

I liked the weather, the mountains, the fact that you can drive one hour and be in the snow, at the beach, or in the dessert depending on which way you went. 70 degrees year round,...there are alot of reasons....

yes they have their screwed up parts, but so does TN, and every other state...none of them are without conflicts or disagreements with the way they are run...

all I was trying to say for this one is that it seems that we are talking about wheel weights here...and it got to a CA bashing...like I said the lead free thing started in MI...no biggie...

Guest canynracer
Don't forget the earthquakes and probably half of the residents.

yeah, this one is kinda funny....I traded earthquakes for tornados

I would rather have the earthquakes...tornados are freaking scary as hell. (to me at least) When I win the powerball, I am building a range underground, and a bank vault tornado closet..LMAO

Guest canynracer
.... since california generally leads the way in such policies it will be a matter of time before other states or the feds make such rules nationwide. ...

I disagree totally with this....you will have to give examples of what CA has done that they "lead the way" for the other states to follow....and the smoking ban was a long time coming, from the US health dept...so that one doesnt count. (before you bash, I am a smoker so it affected me as well, and I agree with the resturaunt ban, but not the bar ban)

but what others?

Guest TN.Frank

They'll have to use stainless steel because carbon steel would rust to the rim and look like crap. Also, without all the lead going to wheel weights there may be a glut of lead on the market and actually make the price go down, not up. Either way I need to hit up a couple tire stores to see if I can scroung a couple buckets of WW's for casting bullets.

Guest TN.Frank

On a similar topic, if you're using WW's to cast bullets stay away from the shinny ones, they contain Zinc which will stop your mold from filling properly. Only use dull looking ones.