Killed another Hog this weekend

Guest Conrad

Her is a couple of pics i have of my hog i shot this weekend he is a young boar about a year old but he still weighed about 150 pounds live weight.

297.jpg

This is a pic i took after i shot the hog it shows the shot placement the bullet went in in front of the shoulder and exited behind the opposite shoulder.

294.jpg

Here is a pic taken this morning.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bacon, Bacon, Bacon!

Seriously, though, kudos to you for doing all the rest of us a service. Seems the wild boar are not indigenous, and are damaging the natural balance...

Does it taste different from farm raised?

The rifle i used is a Ruger M7 MKII in 338 Winchester Magnum. I know seems like a lot of gun but i handload and have it loaded with 180 grain Nosler Balistic Tips at about 2900 feet per second. I have killed 3 hogs and a deer with this gun. It is becoming my favorie.

Here is the link for TN hog hunting:

Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency - Feral Hog/Wild Boar

It is both big game and a pest, so there is no limit as the population is growing to be a problem.

As far as I know a 308 is plenty gun to kill one but you will want to check this same website to get the legal take on what caliber is required.

Here is the gun types allowed:

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/huntweapons.html

Edited by Jonnin

Thank You Everyone i do have fun hunting them. The property i hunt on is in Polk County TN, close to the Georgia border. The hogs are always on the move. There one day and gone the next. I hunt down there alot but rarely see any thing although there is usually sign of them being there. I just happen to check a creek bottom and seen where the hogs had been rooting and wallowing so i just set up about 30 yards up the ridge from the wallow and waited. About 5 pm I heard something running through the woods and two hogs had come out into the creek bottom. I looked the two over trying to see if any had tusk but neither did. Upon further inspection I notice that one was a male and just a bit bigger than the other so i decided that when he presents a shot I would take him. I got to watch them for about 10 minutes rooting around and eating hickory nuts. When the big one was broad side and in the clear from some brush i put the cross hairs of my 338 on his neck and squeezed the trigger. The 180 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip entered in front of the near shoulder and exited behing the far shoulder and dropped him in his tracks. The funny thing was as he kicked around for a few seconds his companion did not run off but stood there looked at him. I could have shot the other one because it took it almost 5 minutes to leave. It just stayed there and grunted real loud and it also blew just like a deer alarm call ( didnt know pigs did that?). I also wanted something to hunt the next time I go.

As for the picture with the fountain. That is a pond on the property where i work, a bridge company here in Cleveland TN. Just thought it would make a cool looking pic.

I also believe that a 308 will be more that enough gun to kill any hog out there. I just use my 338 because i plan to go elk hunting someday and am getting familiar with it so i can make a good shot.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to get together with a couple of good hunters and make a trip for camping/hog hunting. I know there are WMAs out in east TN but would be interested in hunting with someone who knows the areas. There are a bunch of nice hogs around here, but not allowed to hunt them.