small of the back holster?

Guest buttonhook

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin Team

You mean with the barrel pointing at the ceiling/your head? It seems like it would present three problems besides the muzzle pointing somewhere I wouldn't want it.

First, retention might be an issue. A lot of modern holsters don't necessarily rely on gravity to hold the pistol in the holster, but certainly benefit from it. Flipping the gun over would mean you would need an active retention system that you could be absolutely certain would not fail. I would hate to have to go for my weapon only to find it had come out of the holster.

Second, deployment would be an issue. You would have an unwieldy grip, and it would be all but impossible to get a good firing grip on the weapon before drawing. This would heighten the major issue with a design like this, in that on the draw, you would be covering your body with the muzzle for most of the time while you try to get it on target. Couple this with a poor firing grip from the start, and you are asking for a negligent discharge situation where you shoot yourself.

I would look at another design. Maybe a shoulder holster? Or, let us know what situation you are faced with, and I'm sure that someone here has experience with it.

Guest buttonhook

no same angle (barrel down) just reversed the grip basically point straight up your spine now on an sob rig. i want down toward my butt and to the right still barrel down. take a normal sob rig and rotate the gun 180 using the length of the barrel as the axis. retention should be the same. i carry iwb now i'm just looking for additional carry options. and my should will not let me pull from a traditional sob, but it will from the inverted carry set up. put your hand on the small of you back palm out thats what i want

http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Product_Line/_Bottom_Line/_bottom_line.html i need the inverse of this

i tried left handed holster ---no go they end up at the wrong angle

Edited by buttonhook

if its really what you want, those black nylon holsters that velcro shut can be flipped over. Getting it out fast isnt going to happen, and eventually the velcro will wear out if you use it too much, but you can use anything similar that has a secure strap to seal the gun in place with a strong, positive ability to stay that way all day without fail.

Second, you could have someone make (or you could adapt something) that is gravity bound to hold it barrel up. You would then have to pull the gun by its barrel or trigger guard, and do some very fancy dancing to get it properly in hand before use. This also seems a bit odd. I sometimes carry a pistol barrel up in my pocket, and can pull it free by hooking my finger around the guard then shifting it to the correct grip, but that is very different from the small of your back (and the gun must be of a type that you are comfortable getting that near the trigger while its pointed at your own head...). For a small, light gun you could still do it this way, if you practice it.

Still, even with any of the above thoughts, its just not as natural as a grab the handle/draw/done method. Its potentially dangerous if you use the wrong type of gun for a trigger guard draw, and its not handy for any other method of draw. Why exactly are you looking at this, whats the gameplan?

• Admin Team
no same angle (barrel down) just reversed the grip basically point straight up your spine now on an sob rig. i want down toward my butt and to the right still barrel down. take a normal sob rig and rotate the gun 180 using the length of the barrel as the axis. retention should be the same. i carry iwb now i'm just looking for additional carry options. and my should will not let me pull from a traditional sob, but it will from the inverted carry set up. put your hand on the small of you back palm out thats what i want

Bottom Line i need the inverse of this

i tried left handed holster ---no go they end up at the wrong angle

Gotcha. You might try a David Bullard Tuckable. You can adjust the cant pretty much however you want

Guest buttonhook
if its really what you want, those black nylon holsters that velcro shut can be flipped over. Getting it out fast isnt going to happen, and eventually the velcro will wear out if you use it too much, but you can use anything similar that has a secure strap to seal the gun in place with a strong, positive ability to stay that way all day without fail.

Second, you could have someone make (or you could adapt something) that is gravity bound to hold it barrel up. You would then have to pull the gun by its barrel or trigger guard, and do some very fancy dancing to get it properly in hand before use. This also seems a bit odd. I sometimes carry a pistol barrel up in my pocket, and can pull it free by hooking my finger around the guard then shifting it to the correct grip, but that is very different from the small of your back (and the gun must be of a type that you are comfortable getting that near the trigger while its pointed at your own head...). For a small, light gun you could still do it this way, if you practice it.

Still, even with any of the above thoughts, its just not as natural as a grab the handle/draw/done method. Its potentially dangerous if you use the wrong type of gun for a trigger guard draw, and its not handy for any other method of draw. Why exactly are you looking at this, whats the gameplan?

def. not pointed at my head or me in anyway!!!.........your thinking of rotating it the wrong direction in your mind. please reread my other post.

I have a problem with my shoulder moving in a rearward rotation so if I could get something that would hold the gun in the direction i want I could carry small of the back when I wear certain types of clothes (dont ask) but I want to try it. and I really dont want it for a true SOB I want to wear it at about the 4:30-5:00 position

take this one make it OWB and rotate it clockwise about 45 degrees

http://www.mcssl.com/store/dmbullardleathermfg/catalog/category/5060232

Edited by buttonhook
Guest buttonhook

if I could find a lefthand model with and extreme reverse cant I think that would work but it would have to be extreme. none of the ones I have tried would work

Edited by buttonhook

Something like this?

GH-1.jpg

I made that one years ago as a prototype, from light leather, to see if it would work... Didn't end up liking it.

Guest buttonhook
Galco SOB:

opplanet-galco-sob-small-of-back-holster-2.jpg

edit: nm, I see you want grip down, apparantly.

- OS

yeah like that but upside down 180 degrees. I want the mag. pointed down not up maybe just a very very little more vertical cant to it. it could even ride alittle higher if inverted.

The way I can see it worn is at 4:30-5 not true SOB. if someone says give me your wallet.......oops thats not my wallet but you can have the these extra bullets it yoou still want the wallet.

Edited by buttonhook
yeah like that but upside down 180 degrees. I want the mag. pointed down not up maybe just a very very little more vertical cant to it. I can see me wearing it at 4:30-5 and someone says give me your wallet.......oops thats not my wallet but you can have the these extra bullets.

You could simply rotate this one.

Or get one for the opposite hand and rotate it, same as with the High Noon.

Gun would be somewhat canted downward.

- OS

Guest buttonhook
Something like this?

GH-1.jpg

I made that one years ago as a prototype, from light leather, to see if it would work... Didn't end up liking it.

jamie that might work if it was right handed not left handed and it would need to have the grip brought down a little more towards my belt

Oh. Hmm.

Have you googled holsters for handicapped shooters? There may be something there.

No, there's nothing there in the terms of Google. Are you disabled buttonhook?

if I could find a lefthand model with and extreme reverse cant I think that would work but it would have to be extreme. none of the ones I have tried would work

I just looked at my DeSaints SOB. It could very well be used in reverse for left handed draw like you're wanting to do (with grip facing down instead of up). Problem is, it would have the gun facing upwards. It would be fairly easy for the gun to slip out of the holster by doing that.

opplanetgalcosobsmallof.jpg

Guest buttonhook
So you're more or less wanting the body of the gun running parallel to your belt, and the grip sticking down toward your pocket. Gotcha.

more or less thats right.....I cant rotate my shoulder when behind my back. I tore it up playing football and I dont have the full range of motion anymore but I can still draw from that position no problem.

Ohshoot, I dont wnat it canted down for fear of the retention failing and it would also put my arm in a funny position that I cant draw from with out Alot of pain

Guest buttonhook
No, there's nothing there in the terms of Google. Are you disabled buttonhook?

I just looked at my DeSaints SOB. It could very well be used in reverse for left handed draw like you're wanting to do (with grip facing down instead of up). Problem is, it would have the gun facing upwards. It would be fairly easy for the gun to slip out of the holster by doing that.

opplanetgalcosobsmallof.jpg

LOL, not physically!!! mental is a judgement call :D I didn't understand that post either (but I googled anyways). and I bought the Desaints thinking the same thing...in fact it is in the drawer right now. Nice holster but it doesn't put it in position the I'm trying to get (right handed) the angle is just not right.

If that holster was canted UP and not down it would be perfect I think.........

Edited by buttonhook
jamie that might work if it was right handed not left handed and it would need to have the grip brought down a little more towards my belt

That one was intended to be either handed... all you had to do was flip it over. What you're seeing in the pic would have been the inside - against your body - for a right handed person.

Like I said, it never really worked all that well and I gave up on the idea.

Edited by Jamie
more or less thats right.....I cant rotate my shoulder when behind my back. I tore it up playing football and I dont have the full range of motion anymore but I can still draw from that position no problem.

Ohshoot, I dont wnat it canted down for fear of the retention failing and it would also put my arm in a funny position that I cant draw from with out Alot of pain

Okay, I understand what you're after now, and it's the very thing I intended when I made that holster in the pic here.

Like you, I prefer to draw a gun at the rear of my waist with an almost reverse, "cavalry" draw. My knuckles are against my back, palm out. ( to the rear )

Now let me explain the problem with dropping the grip more than what I did with my prototype:

Since you have to slide your hand between the gun and your body, if the grip sets any further down than where I placed it, you will end up getting a handful of your own waistband if you try to draw in a hurry.

The only way around that is by having the gun stick out more and not be snugged up tight against you... and it will print like a blue bitch under anything lighter than a heavy wool trench coat when you do that. And even for that, it's still tricky to get the gun and nothing else.

Sorry, but I just never could find a way to make it work, and still be even remotely concealable. And never mind what it felt like if you had to spend any time at all sitting.

Edited by Jamie
what if you had a piece of leather between the gun and your back and had it ride alittle hight up on the belt

It's the nature of the way you have to draw that's the problem. You're not grabbing the gun in the usual sense, you're running your hand in between your back and the gun and more or less shoveling it out. 9 times out of 10 you'll end up either jamming your fingers into either your waistband or some other part of the holster, or you'll end up with 'em down in your waistband, if the gun is low enough.

If you had a g-19, I'd be tempted to send you the holster in the pic and let you see for yourself. If I can still find it, that is. I know it's around here somewhere....

One other thing... I know you say you have shoulder problems, and I can certainly appreciate that... but, to draw the gun the way we're discussing, or to draw it from the holster OhShoot showed you in post #12? requires the same shoulder movement. It's only rolling your hand/wrist over that's different.

So you may want to see if you can find one of those and give it a try. It might work better for you than you think.