fix rear sights

Guest evilnick06

Guest evilnick06

I just got a M&P9 just last week put 200 rounds through it. But how I shoot I end up shooting to the left. Don't get me wrong the gun probably is dead on but its just how I shoot so I need to move the sights over to the right a little. I don't want to buy the $100 dollar tool or take it to a gunsmith since I don't have much cash right now since I got to pay my car payment first. So any advice would be helpful.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guy N. Cognito

And people wonder why new members don't stick around.....

Before making any modifications, have someone else shoot the pistol or shoot it from a rest. If the sights are off, then get them adjusted. You can borrow a tool or some gun smith may make the adjustment for free.

If you discover that your shooting is the issue, then you definitely don't want to move the sights to accommodate. Instead, work on your trigger control and grip to correct the problem x

Guest evilnick06

Thanks Guy N. Cognit. I will admit I am new to shooting for the most part but I can past the permit test easily enough with this gun. Like I said I notice it on other guns when shooting. I will work on stances and trigger control before I do anything its not like I plan on doing it tomorrow or next week. But when a instructor who has at least 25 years or more suggests it then you usually listen to them. So that's why I am asking. Like I said i will work on the other things before hand but I would like to know how to do it for sure. He told me so I know how but I though I would get other people say in the matter. Now I don't want people saying about trigger pull, stance, etc. if that was the case I would just start a bashing war here with mike. I ask for suggestion on how to do this. I know I am not the best shot or perfect so I will work on other things I just want to know. Thanks

if that was the case I would just start a bashing war here with mike

You were not bashed.

I can past the permit test easily enough

Permit qual's are a f**king joke.

Now I don't want people saying about trigger pull, stance, etc. if that was the case I would just start a bashing war here with mike. I ask for suggestion on how to do this. I know I am not the best shot or perfect so I will work on other things I just want to know. Thanks

Most M&P sight move quite easily with a soft face mallet after you loosen the screw.

Since it's most likely not the pistol, I was suggesting you fix the problem. Not bandaid over poor fundamental skill sets with mechanical fixes.

Mike

Guest evilnick06

Thank you and I know I wasn't bashed. I never said I was but I ask for a question not crap about shooting stances. Which is sound advice I will agree. Now I got my question answer this thread can be gotten rid of.

I ask for a question not crap about shooting stances.

Stance has nohing to do with it. Sight alignment and not jerking the trigger will net you hits.

Harden up, don't be so sensitive. It's just the Internet.

Mike

Guest evilnick06

Thanks. But I live in memphis. I appreciate all the help. I will be heading home tomorrow and sometime next week go to the range and have some other people shoot it and work on everything else.

I suspect you have a trigger control problem because I had the same problem. I started out with most pistol shots hitting 1-3 inches left and some low left. I corrected this by changing where I put my finger on the trigger and practicing pulling straight back. I started with the trigger in the joint of my finger. As I squeeze the trigger, my finger rotated slightly pulling the gun to the left. The correction is to put the pad near the tip of my finger on the trigger and make a conscious effort to pull straight back.

Your finger has 3 segments. 1 being the at the joint with your hand, 2 in the middle, and 3 at the tip. When pulling the trigger, segment 1 shouldn't move. Segments 2 and 3 shouldn't move much relative to each other. The motion is in the joint between 1 and 2. If you roll your whole finger, you'll pull the gun left. Dry firing practice works wonders.

I think Mike's point is that changing the gun to fix a technique problem isn't the best solution.

It just wasn't made very tactfully.

You know that's never been my strong point.

My apologies if I didn't pander to anyone's emotional needs. I'm a very direct person. It's not my nature to beat around the bush censoring myself to avoid hurt feelings.

Mike

Edited by Mike
Guest Guy N. Cognito
You know that's never been my strong point.

My apologies if I didn't pander to anyone's emotional needs. I'm a very direct person. It's not my nature to beat around the bush censoring myself to avoid hurt feelings.

Mike

At least your consistent.

Guest evilnick06

its ok. I am sorry also I had a bad day. I just ask for some advice and it just seem like you were just getting onto me and you never meet me. Its no problem.

• Administrator

As was stated previously in the thread, M&P rear sights are not pressed in very tightly. Loosen the set screw using a hex wrench and then ever so slightly tap the sight to one direction or another using an item that won't mar or damage the finish on the gun. Then re-tighten the sight.

Honestly I do agree with Mike that it most likely is not the sights on the gun based on your description of the problem. HOWEVER... my wife has an M&P 9 "JG" (pink grips, cancer ribbon, etc.) that has an upgraded sight package and it shoots about 4" low center at 10ft every time you pull the trigger. It's not her, it's the gun. Several of us have shot it and it does the exact same every single time.

Consequently I will be sending it back to Smith & Wesson to have them remedy the situation. So, there's a chance it might not be you but the gun as well, however I'd have several other people shoot it first -- preferably people who are familiar with and good shots with the M&P -- before making adjustments to the gun that might be just band aiding a problem you're having with manipulating the trigger.

Good luck.