I never thought it would happen to me.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heck the two week notice when quitting is sketchy anymore. A lot of place will tell you to go ahead and just go on when you give notice. New employer might not be ready for you to start so you get cut out of pay possibly. I have seen this happen, especially with sales and tech jobs. And I think it is automatic to get sent sailing if you have access to sensitive information.

that is how it was when I worked with

I used to work with tnxdshooter in Oak Ridge, they gave us 6 months notice, and pretty much told us to go find other work. I believe they even told us they did not require a 2 week notice if we found a job just give them as much notice as we could and it would not be held against us as they had gave us notice they would be laying us off in 6 months. I found a job that was hiring in 4 weeks and I worked to the Friday before, (gave 2 weeks, I took 2 days off then started my new job). They even let people leave work to go to interviews, I left work to go take my drug test.

Once they give you notice, you can't pass up a sure thing job over doing the right thing and giving 2 full weeks notice if it costs you the job in this job market.

I was recently informed that I have at least 1 year which is a blessing in and of itself.

That year will go by much faster than you think, but that's very, very fortunate. I got 90 days notice both times.

....and still only give them two weeks notice when you moved. I like to think I'm one of the more loyal employees where ever I go but when they pull the rug from under you, you owe them only what's proper at that point. Find your next position, smile and hand them your written notice and work as always for two weeks, burn no bridges but let no moss grow under you.

This. And if you can, try to allow yourself a little time off between jobs. Changing jobs is very stressful, I wish I'd done that.

Guest dbierman
I feel your pain, I worked for Coors Brewing Co when they decided to close the Memphis plant and brew that beer in Canada.

I forgot to add that when I was at Coors I thought it was the best job I ever had. I now work for Fedex and I know for sure that it's the best job I've ever had and now I'm glad they closed the Coors plant. If they hadn't closed the doors I wouldn't be working for the best company in the world (imo).

• 2 weeks later...
About the only jobs that are safe are jobs that require a person hands on. Low tech jobs are the safest, manual labor, the things we were told to go to school to avoid remember? I remember my dad telling me to go to school, get an education so I would not have to work in a breaking my back in a coal mine or factory, but if they keep sending all these good jobs overseas that is all that will be left.

Don't worry, all the Illegal's are covering most of those job's these days & people expect you to work for their wages. :confused:

Sorry to hear about your job man, hang in there & GOD will come through, he always does. :)

• 1 month later...