My next purchase? Kimber SOLO

pops572

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hasn't Kimber had problems with external extractors before? Or am I thinking the other way around?

No they certainly have, but on a 1911 platform. So I will hold off judgement until I hear range reports. I do like it, can't wait to hold one and here some range test results from non-Kimber people.

Looks like a really nice pistol to me however I don't know if I'd spend $700+/- on a compact 9mm.

This is probably intended to compete with Kahr, or the Sig P290 (which isn't going to sell well if everybody else gets their new mini-9s to market first). I doubt Kimber wants to have a "cheap" pistol like the LC9 in the portfolio - they still need to maintain that "entry level luxury" image for brand integrity purposes.

Guest Topgun121

I am very interested in shooting one. It is a little heavier and larger than a Kahr PM9, but if it has less recoil, it might be worth it. The PM9 is no fun to target shoot in my opinion. Good to see Kimber enter the small lightweight market though. I have a CDP Ultra Kimber that is 3" barrel in a 9mm, one of their smallest and it still weighs about 25 or so oz. I have found myself carrying the Sig P238 and the Ruger LCP more, due to their size and weight. Those little .380's, you hardly know it is with you. I do with a Kimber Ultra IWB at 10 oz heavier and thicker.

Guest 10mm4me

Looks like an updated copy of a 1903 Colt, which isn't a bad thing. That is one of the most ergonomic guns EVER. They already copied the 1911, why not the 1903. Cool? Yes. Original? No. Remember their KPD, which ultimately turned into the Ruger SR9.

Looks like an updated copy of a 1903 Colt, which isn't a bad thing. That is one of the most ergonomic guns EVER. They already copied the 1911, why not the 1903. Cool? Yes. Original? No. Remember their KPD, which ultimately turned into the Ruger SR9.

Well, probably not. The 03 colt had a hammer though it was internal.

I'm pretty sure the Solo is striker fired and probably has a FP block etc and I'm guessing has very little in common with the 03.

Not sure if it will be too heavy for a pocket gun of if it is even intended to be one?

Guest The Highlander

Thanks for the Youtube stuff Tim. I was wondering how it compared with the LCP, now I know. I would like to handle the SIG P290, LC9, and the SOLO at the same time. I'll end up buying one of them, I'm sure.

Guest Law of Thirds

Volunteer Ordinance has one. It's fantastic feeling in the hand, it's like a dehorned Colt 1903. The trigger is... well, it swings like a double action, about 1/4" movement and then there's a super light snap, it's a single action trigger feel when it finally goes off. The safeties are really nice too, positive on/off feeling without being too big or too small. Ambi mag release was a little on the stiff side, but that's good for a potentially pocket gun.

I think I just found my new favorite small auto, edging out the S&W CS9.

How many have paid a lot more for an EMP? I have been thinking about an EMP for the wife, but this looks like good competition in that market.

Hear hear!

They have them on Impactguns for 659. Seems right on par ( and even cheaper) with similar sized quality 'micro-compact 9s.

Kimber Solo Carry 9mm SS

Volunteer Ordinance has one. It's fantastic feeling in the hand, it's like a dehorned Colt 1903. The trigger is... well, it swings like a double action, about 1/4" movement and then there's a super light snap, it's a single action trigger feel when it finally goes off. The safeties are really nice too, positive on/off feeling without being too big or too small. Ambi mag release was a little on the stiff side, but that's good for a potentially pocket gun.

I think I just found my new favorite small auto, edging out the S&W CS9.

Really :D

What was the price?

Edited by strickj
  • 2 months later...
Guest Marionrose

Well I wanna start by saying I love my Kimber tactical 45- so when I went hog wild and bid on a Kimber Solo- I thought I would have the same Rolls Royce Experience. It never occured to me that it would jam and jam and failed to eject. The slide kept sticking back. I was devastated, cz I paid a stupid price bidding on gunbroker one night. All the things I had read until then were all about the HUNT for the gun and how hard it was to get. Once I spent a dissappointing few hours on the range, I looked up all the "bad" reviews and found that there are many others having the issues I am. So I would suggest either talking to Kimber directly or waiting until Kimber works out the Kinks. The recoil, like most small 9mm is quite powerful to. I will say the thing is accurate when you can get it to shoot. 5 bullets seemed to work better than six and if your a woman, don't let your hand tilt down at all cz it just wont shoot.