Opinions on Muzzle-loaders

Guest mtaylor703

I have always used a side-lock percussion cap, carbine length rifle for ML season. I have enjoyed keeping it traditional and primitive... open sights and black powder. However, I might break down and add an inline ML to my collection this year. I'd like to use a scope and have easier cleaning this year. Plus, I will be accessing a hunting area by boat, so moisture could be an issue. Really, I'm just looking for an excuse to buy a new gun! I'm looking at the CVA Optima with the fluted SS barrel.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To each his own. I love my Savage 10 ML II smokeless muzzleloader. I get to shoot/hunt more and clean less. It still loads from the muzzle and you only have one shot. If a modern muzzleloader or crossbow gets somebody in the outdoors that wouldnt have been there otherwise, then thats a win for us all.

Good luck to everyone this season, no matter what weapon you choose.

I try to shoot all of my guns as though I only have one shot. It's made me a better hunter. ('Course now that I think about it, other than the lever action .22 and the 1858 Remington Buffalo revolver, all of my guns are single shot.:wall:)

I try to shoot all of my guns as though I only have one shot. It's made me a better hunter. ('Course now that I think about it, other than the lever action .22 and the 1858 Remington Buffalo revolver, all of my guns are single shot.:))

Your exactly right, and a very good practice to preach. Very funny story looking back but the only time I ever needed a 2nd shot was during the 09 Muzzloader season. We had a lease in Weakley County when I shot the first deer I seen as she cleared a timber line. Only deer I had seen in a few days of hunting so I was eager to shoot. Well I dropped her in her tracks as a good eight point cleared the wood line to sniff her as I sat there and looked on with an empty gun. Looking back I dont know wether to laugh or cry...

Your exactly right, and a very good practice to preach. Very funny story looking back but the only time I ever needed a 2nd shot was during the 09 Muzzloader season. We had a lease in Weakley County when I shot the first deer I seen as she cleared a timber line. Only deer I had seen in a few days of hunting so I was eager to shoot. Well I dropped her in her tracks as a good eight point cleared the wood line to sniff her as I sat there and looked on with an empty gun. Looking back I dont know wether to laugh or cry...

Yep, that would suck. lol

Up home one of the events at 'rondyvoo' is a "post shoot." The basic idea is that you have teams consisting of 4 - 5 shooters all vying to be the first to shoot their assigned 4X4 post in two. I mention that because it's great practice at reloading as quickly as <safely> possible. Times of 20 seconds from aimed shot to aimed shot are not uncommon and using a speed loader (not allowed during the post shoot) it seems as though it could probably be trimmed down even more. Of course I realize that a deer can cover a huge distance in 20 seconds, but that doesn't mean they always will and knowing that a 2nd shot is potentially available can make all the difference. All it takes is practice and the willingness to make lots of noise and lots of smoke. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest WRustyLane

Howdy everyone,

Just want to put my 2 cents worth in. I'm the proud owner of a Pedersoli .50 flintlock with a 39" bbl. I love my flintlock. I also shot a Pietta .44 1860 army. Am just starting to reload for my Colt .45 clone, an Uberti 1873 SSA. I hope to find lots of information on this forum. Joined not too long ago. There is an art to shooting a flintlock. I went to the range with a friend who has one of those inline cap 'n ball rifle and my shot groups were much tighter than his. I attribute this to my .015 patch. After giving him several to try for himself and increasing his powder load to 90 grains, his shot group tightened up quite nice. We were shooting at the 100 yard line. The range personnel hate to see us coming, 'cause they don't like all the smoke we produce with our stinkpoles.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest cardcutter
Just my opinion, but the stocks should be wooden, the barrels octagonal & the firing mechanism should be on the side. Ramrods should be wooden, propellant should be powdered & projectiles should be round & lead. The longer the barrel, the better! :lol:[/quote

Yup...and the lock should be flint!!

I could not have said it better. A scoped pellet and sabot gun may as well be a .270 I mean why bother? You lose the connection with history and tradition and all you are doing is gaming the system to get a few more days.

Guest TnRebel
I am DIGGING that little blanket gun in your pic, Rebel! Is that built around a Springfield or an Enfield? I can't tell from the pic...

Its a Springfield Carbine, that was picked up in Afghanistan and brought back by a guy in Florida and sold it to me and as far as I can tell it the real deal there is no black powder stamed on it . The tribs there still carry black powder. as well a AK 47's

• 6 months later...
Guest unscathed_corpse

Just my opinion, but the stocks should be wooden, the barrels octagonal & the firing mechanism should be on the side. Ramrods should be wooden, propellant should be powdered & projectiles should be round & lead. The longer the barrel, the better!

Muzzleloader season, to my mind, should be re-classified as 'primitive muzzleloader' season. The lines between modern centerfires & modern muzzleloaders are a little too close these days. There's almost no need to own a cetrefire hunting gun anymore. Modern frontstuffers are just as accurate & near as dammit as quick to reload. To my mind, half the fun of muzzleloader hunting is getting in closer & making your one shot count, not having at 'em from 300 yards away. Not looking down or disparaging anyone's hunting choices, just my own observations & opinions & worth exactly what you're paying for them! biggrin.png

I agree with you! There needs to be a season for primative muzzle loaders. I cannot stand pyrodex and synthetic stocks, optics, and stainless barrels. If you want knock down use a three band 1861 or 1863 Springfield! The range is incredible, the knock down huge.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought/built a CVA Kentucky Rifle kit years ago, and went deer hunting with a friend who has a 'modern' black powder rifle. It was a hoot to shoot, and we seemed to be pretty evenly matched for accuracy and firepower.

I haven't shot it in a while, but I keep it oiled and stashed away with bullets, caps, and black powder for teotwawki.

i have 2 40 cal flint lock southgates i have never needed any other .i use real black powder swiss brand .i also have 2 ruger old army revolvers that shoot great .i just wish i could change cylinders like clint eastwood in pale rider

How are we supposed to feel? I mean, back when I hunted with a bow I used a recurve and shot instinctively. I've also used a longbow, but somehow never got the hang of shooting a compound - does that somehow make me a hypocrite?

No sir. Just curious.