WalMart posting in Texas

I'm visiting the great state of Texas and, of course, we have to go to WalMart. I did a double take when I saw the posting on the door. It said something to the effect of: "The unlicensed possession of a weapon on these premises is a felony and......" The key word is "unlicensed". I noticed this same sign on some of the convenience stores here in Texas. The signs will probably be coming to WW in Tennessee, if not already there. One more week and I'll be getting out of here.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jackdog

The unlicensed possession of a weapon on these premises is a felony. They I have no problem with that sign. It says bad guys can't carry in Walmart but I can. Of course will the bad guys do as asked. Yeah right, sure they will. So I guess the sign is a complete waste of time

Texas actually has pretty simple laws for where you can't carry...

Businesses with 51%+ revenue from alcohol for on-premises consumption

Correctional facilities

School property

School Athletic Events, regardless of location

Polling Places

Racetracks/Secured Areas of Airports

Courthouses unless authorized in writing by the court

Churches

Hospitals

Nursing Homes

Amusement Parks

And anywhere that posts this sign: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/chlssign.htm

The sign at that Wal-Mart is a little odd... Maybe it's a relic from before Texas went shall issue?

Guest canynracer
Texas actually has pretty simple laws for where you can't carry...

Businesses with 51%+ revenue from alcohol for on-premises consumption

Correctional facilities

School property

School Athletic Events, regardless of location

Polling Places

Racetracks/Secured Areas of Airports

Courthouses unless authorized in writing by the court

Churches

Hospitals

Nursing Homes

Amusement Parks

And anywhere that posts this sign: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/administration/crime_records/chl/chlssign.htm

The sign at that Wal-Mart is a little odd... Maybe it's a relic from before Texas went shall issue?

really??? screw that!! I carry in church

really??? screw that!! I carry in church

I can't, because the church has a private school (K-8) on the church grounds, and because of the laws, I can only have it in my car unsecured, and be careful not to handle it on the property when I drop off my kids their for school or go to church.

Guest BG38357

Those signs are at all Texas Wal-Marts. If you have your TN HCP with you, you're fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac12 viewpost.gif

I'm visiting the great state of Texas and, of course, we have to go to WalMart. I did a double take when I saw the posting on the door. It said something to the effect of: "The unlicensed possession of a weapon on these premises is a felony and......" The key word is "unlicensed". I noticed this same sign on some of the convenience stores here in Texas. The signs will probably be coming to WW in Tennessee, if not already there. One more week and I'll be getting out of here.

I can't, because the church has a private school (K-8) on the church grounds, and because of the laws, I can only have it in my car unsecured, and be careful not to handle it on the property when I drop off my kids their for school or go to church.

While I admit I wouldn't want to be the one to test it in court...I'm thinking if you just carry in the sanctuary and the school part you'd be ok. This is assuming the school is a completely separate building from the church.

Actually all wal-matrs are off limits,sorta,well for OC anyway

The following is our policy: if a Wal-mart customer has been aearded a concealed handgun license by the state government, Wal-Mart will follow the direction of the state. However, if at anytime while on Wal-Mart property, that customer's concealed weapon becomes visible to Wal-Mart associates or customers, Wal-Mart reserves the right to ask the customer to either reposition the weapon so that it will not be visible, to remove the weapon completely or to leave Wal-Mart property.

from TFA web site: http://www.tennesseefirearms.com/law_regs/postedletters/walmart-reply1.asp

You can carry inside a church or amusement park in Texas as long as the establishment does not have an exactly worded Penal Code 30.06 sign. The Texas Penal Code is very clear on where and where not one can carry a handgun under the authority of a concealed handgun license. Texas law specifically disallows state and local governments from posting 30.06 signs on buildings or other property, such as parks. TN would improve our laws by specifically disallowing state and local govts from posting property, not putting up a sign allowing those with permits from carrying as proposed for parks right now. Kind of silly and wasteful.

The odd thing is Texas disallows carrying at a polling place. It was nice not to have to leave my gun in my car when voting in the primaries because I voted at a church.

Signs, signs, everywhere there's signs....blocking out the scenery, breaking my mind.....do this, don't do that, can you read the signs.......

The heck with the signs! I have my little boy to protect. Like I said in another post.....bad guys don't read or obey the signs.....we hear about shootings in churches, schools, restaurants that sell alcohol, etc......Unless they have a metal detector, I'm carrying. I'd rather take my chances with the good guys than with the bad guys.

:woohoo:

Signs, signs, everywhere there's signs....blocking out the scenery, breaking my mind.....do this, don't do that, can you read the signs.......

The heck with the signs! I have my little boy to protect. Like I said in another post.....bad guys don't read or obey the signs.....we hear about shootings in churches, schools, restaurants that sell alcohol, etc......Unless they have a metal detector, I'm carrying. I'd rather take my chances with the good guys than with the bad guys.

:)

well i have one question for you. If a business doesn't respect your right to protect yourself and your little boy why do you want to shop there in the first place? I understand that sometimes there are places you just have to go but except for those times forget it.

I don't go to regal cinemas because of it and their signs are not even legal. I'm not going to give my hard earned money to a business that doesn't respect my responsibility to protect myself and my family.

Also if enough of us don't shop there and tell them why and show them what they are losing they will change their policy's. I think Tom Gresham had a great idea. When you shop with their competitors fax the company your receipt. They get enough of those they will see that they are loosing revenue.

well i have one question for you. If a business doesn't respect your right to protect yourself and your little boy why do you want to shop there in the first place? I understand that sometimes there are places you just have to go but except for those times forget it.

I don't go to regal cinemas because of it and their signs are not even legal. I'm not going to give my hard earned money to a business that doesn't respect my responsibility to protect myself and my family.

Also if enough of us don't shop there and tell them why and show them what they are losing they will change their policy's. I think Tom Gresham had a great idea. When you shop with their competitors fax the company your receipt. They get enough of those they will see that they are loosing revenue.

I do think that's a pretty good idea, at least with places of business....but unfortunately, there are a lot of places that don't allow guns that I do HAVE to go to. There are also some places that I just LIKE to go to that don't allow firearms.....like State and National Parks for instance. I enjoy going fishing and hiking in a lot of areas where you're not allowed to have a gun......much of the time with just my little boy and no one else....and many times in fairly remote areas where I would be easy prey if someone wanted to do me harm.......or even some thing, like a bear or wild dog. So, like I said, no metal detector = me carrying.

Also if enough of us don't shop there and tell them why and show them what they are losing they will change their policy's.

if all HCP holders in the state stopped going to any business I seriously doubt they would even realize it when looking at their bottom line. Really 3% of the population is not many people and not a very big voice.

if all HCP holders in the state stopped going to any business I seriously doubt they would even realize it when looking at their bottom line. Really 3% of the population is not many people and not a very big voice.

Very true Mike...and that's even assuming that 100% of 3% would always agree. :D

Uh oh, I wasnt aware that Regal Cinemas didnt allow guns into the places????? :eek:

At most of the theaters its posted beside the ticket counter were you would never really see it but its there. Its not a legal posting either but thats not my point. When i get home from work tonight ill post their reply.

And Mama i agree when it comes to places like parks and other state regulated places sometimes its better to be caught with it than caught without it. luckily i only work in Tn during the week so the only time i get to state parks is back home in WV and its legal there.

And to all of you with the even if we all stopped going there they wont care. So what if they want to alienate customers let them and honestly as for a national company if even 2% of the population of the country stops shopping there (and they know why) they will notice. And if they still don't care so what. Why do you want to want to give your money to a company that is asking you to make yourself less safe just to shop in their store and give them your money. Why not just drive an extra 4 miles down the road to their competitor (provided they don't have the same policy.)

The more we shop at those places the bigger they get. The bigger they get the bigger gun control gets. If i can find it again i will post this also but i found a press release from the brady campaign that specifically said since they cant win in congress or the states they would get all the businesses to ban weapons that way even if someone has a license from the state they couldn't leave the house with it except to drive around the block.

We didn't loose our rights overnight and we wont get them back over night. And we will never have a chance at getting them back if we just shrug it off every time we come across one of those signs.

At the very least work to get the law in Tn changed so that even when the signs are posted correctly they don't carry legal weight. I like the way VA and KY do it. Their law says if a store post those signs and you ignore them then the store ask you to leave and you don't then it is just trespassing.

Uh oh, I wasnt aware that Regal Cinemas didnt allow guns into the places????? :eek:

After sending an email to regal asking them to change their policy here is their responce.

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your concerns regarding our facility security policies. Please understand that Regal Entertainment Group, with the assistance of safety experts and law enforcement personnel, has developed policies and procedures designed to provide the safest environment for our guests and employees. Rest assured these policies and procedures are not designed with the intent to inconvenience or otherwise cause hardship to our guests. However, we believe these policies appropriate to assure the general safety of all guests and employees.

Again, thank you for taking the time to advise us of your concerns.

Sincerely,

Clint Roberts

Senior Customer Relations Associate

I tried to post this in the prohibited database guess i dont have enough post. Could someone please do that for me?