Single stage press reloading time experiment

I was wondering how long it would take to load 50 rounds of handgun ammo on a single stage press, so I timed myself.

I took a box of 44 mag brass we "unloaded' this afternoon down to the basement. I had to get out and assemble everything as usual. My dies were already adjusted, but my powder measure was not. I sized/deprimed, cleaned primer pockets, belled case mouths, primed, and loaded 50 rounds in 50 minutes. This time also includes several minutes crawling around on the floor looking for a primer I dropped, and weighing each charge; assuring that no charge varied by more than 1/10 a grain. It also includes the time it took to disassemble and put everything up.

My equipment is a Lee Anniversary Kit, with an O ring press, a Lee Perfect Powder Measure, Lee Carbide Dies, a Lee Hand Priming Tool, and a Frankfort Arsenal Digital Scale.

This was an actual time. I did not hurry, nor did I vary from my normal loading routine. If I'd have loaded 50 more rounds, they wouldn't have taken very much longer, as setting everything up takes up a lot of the time.

I hope this helps someone who is trying to decide whether to get a single stage press, or spring for a progressive.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't done 44's or 45 acp's on a single stage in a while. Last time I did them on the Dillon I did about 350 and hour for the 44's and 450 an hour on the 45's. I switched the bullet type and powder charge on the 44's or it would be about the same. I have done 500 plus an hour on prepped 223's when I went at at. So progressives are great for busy people....or people like me with ADD. I can't do it all night like I used to ...... nor do I like reloading all evening either.

Exactly. Progressives are much faster. If a person wants to load a high volume, or only reloads a limited number of calibers and is pressed for time, a progressive is the way to go. For me, I don't load that many, and especially in bad weather, I'm kind of looking for something to do. I also load for at least a dozen calibers, and am always experimenting. I just wanted to give a baseline for prospective reloaders, in hopes we can help them to decide what's right for them, instead of buying several presses.

Guest Lester Weevils

It usually takes me at least an hour just to load 100 rounds in a progressive press. And at least another hour in prep work, cleaning cases, case examination, uniforming primer pockets, etc. Optimistically, probably no better then 50 per hour on a progressive press.

One reason is that I'm just naturally slow on everything, and another possible reason is that I do a lot of checking thruout the process.

Running that slow on a progressive, if I did it on a single-stage, maybe it would take many more hours. It certainly wouldn't get any quicker individually weighing each charge and such.

I'll get some extra money together and think about getting a progressive setup......then I find a good deal on a gun, and forget about the press. I have plenty of time, and the single stage works great for me. It isn't for everyone. I didn't intend this thread to become a pizzing contest. I just wanted a new reloader to know what they were getting into, and the time involved with a single stage. I never claimed I could win a speed contest with one. I have very little money tied up in it, and I can reload for virtually everything I own with the same press. It isn't for everyone, but I contend it is a good, inexpensive way for a newby to get into reloading. On my cheap Lee setup, I can load ammo that will consistantly shoot groups into one hole at 100 yards using the right load and gun. You will NOT beat that with your uberfast progressive press. I can also change calibers in mere seconds.

I was actually pushing for humor not a pizzing contest(sic). Sorry if it has turned into one. I can load pretty quick on a single stage if I have a clear bench and I have all my components out. For handguns I keep a good rhythm on the powder measure and my Uniflow stays very consistent. When I do rifles I do the same unless it is a varmint/benchrest gun then I weigh every charge. As to time, I can do 50 rounds in about 45 minutes on handguns. Rifles about the same unless I have to trim cases or weigh charges, then maybe and hour.

As to loading accurate ammo on a progressive, I can't speak to Lee or Hornady, but I have tested loads on my Dillon 550B with excellent results. I have used a neck sizer die in 223, 6mm, 308 and used ball powders with benchrest primers, bullets seated to within .010" of the rifling. My groups ran just as good as if I had loaded them on a single stage. I only did it once to test the potential of using a Dillon for mass producing ammo in the field for a prairie dog hunt but I have never had the chance to go on one yet. But when I do, I am packing the Dillon on a portable bench.

Glockster157. Why would you load in the field while PD hunting? Wouldn't you just load a thousand rounds before you leave home? Not trying to be a smartazz, just really don't know.

My thought there was not having to have so much brass for each rifle. I like to dedicate brass for each gun so I can neck size for a better chamber fit. So if I had 300 cases dedicated for 2 different rifles I would have plenty of ammo for each gun, could swap up to cut down on heat, and I should be able to load all the empties back up in only a hour or two in the evenings for the next days shoot.

Edited by glockster157

well the camdex you pour the primers in a hopper bullets in a box powder in a 8 pound funnel turn it on .the point i was trying to make is somebody or something can always be faster .i load my rifle ammo 1 at a time most of the time my pistol ammo as well all but 9mm i feed 3 9mm subguns.i usually use a lyman orange crusher press but have several dillons and stars .at any given time i have 1 or more set up for use if anyone would like to try one just ask the best thing i have for reloading is a gracey case trimer i hate case trimming. i am now retired and if some of you want to learn how to reload i will help if i can i am afraid if we dont reload sometime in the future shooting will be hard to do

How quick could you load a box of 280 Remingtons on it if I handed you the dies, brass, powder, and primers right now?:P

i went out to my reloading shead and loaded 20 280 ai counting set up and case trimming 36 min. but i use a gracey trimmer and have been reloading for over 40 years i dont reload for speed i reload because i like to everything but trimming tell you what i am sure i have a single stage press i dont use pm me i will give it to you and enough stuff to get started thats how i started david

i went out to my reloading shead and loaded 20 280 ai counting set up and case trimming 36 min. but i use a gracey trimmer and have been reloading for over 40 years i dont reload for speed i reload because i like to everything but trimming tell you what i am sure i have a single stage press i dont use pm me i will give it to you and enough stuff to get started thats how i started david

Wow! That is impressive. I assumed it took a lot of time to change calibers.

That's a very kind offer you made to the other poster as well.:dirty:

I really want to get into this, and I learn faster if I can see something being done. I'll bring a pizza or a bucket of chicken if someone will let me sit and watch them reload some .45 somewhere in the Nashville area one of these days.

(I'd offer to bring the beer, but that might not be a good idea, eh?)

I prep my brass in batches, so I can't really say how long it takes me reload xx amount of rounds. I use a Lee single stage press, the $25 one. I deprime, tumble, size, and expand in batches of however much brass fits in my tumbler. After all of that, I load 100 or 200 at a time. I can charge, seat, and crimp 100 in, I guess, an hour.

I have a Lee 1000 that is set up for 9mm, but I still prefer the single stage.

Guest bcbulldog78

I load my rifle rounds on a single stage except for .223. I also use my single stage for load development. For pistol and .223 rounds I work up the load that I want and then I transition it over to a Dillon 650 to run it in progressive. As far as speed on the single stage I have never really measured it but to me the single stage is not intended for speed. I use a Lyman DPS1200 for powder measure / weighing charges so I am more that ready with the brass by the time it finishes trickling the charge in to the exact weight.

• 2 weeks later...

I loaded 1,000 357 Sig over the last three days,,I bet I have at least 8 hours in them on an RCBS single stage,,that is 5,000 strokes ,I really wish I had a Dillon,,I am just getting into pistol loading and will have one at some point..

to load the 357 Sig,,I like to FL size deprime with a 40 S&W Carbide die first with no lube,,FL size with 357 Sig Die,Flare die,prime,dump 10.6 grs Blue Dot,seat 124 XTP,and crimp.

is it possible to do all that on a 5 station press or do I need 7 ??

my brother has a 550, and a Redding T7,,and Daddy has a 650,,gonna try all those before dropping that kind of cash,

Guest nicemac
I loaded 1,000 357 Sig over the last three days,,I bet I have at least 8 hours in them on an RCBS single stage,,that is 5,000 strokes ,I really wish I had a Dillon,,I am just getting into pistol loading and will have one at some point..

to load the 357 Sig,,I like to FL size deprime with a 40 S&W Carbide die first with no lube,,FL size with 357 Sig Die,Flare die,prime,dump 10.6 grs Blue Dot,seat 124 XTP,and crimp.

is it possible to do all that on a 5 station press or do I need 7 ??

my brother has a 550, and a Redding T7,,and Daddy has a 650,,gonna try all those before dropping that kind of cash,

You could do that with a five station Hornady Lock-N-Load Auto Progressive:

1. Size and deprime .40 on upstroke of position one–then prime on the downstroke.
  2. Size .357 (without de-capping pin) in position two.
  3. Flare and dump powder (PTX powder drop insert) in position three.
  4. Seat in position four.
  5. Crimp in position five, then eject.

Edited by nicemac
formatted list
Guest Lester Weevils

Hi Mr.Big

I'm probably misunderstanding the reasons for your steps, but here is the typical process on my dillon 4 station progressive square deal b.

The dillon 550B four station would work about the same except you have to manually rotate the shellplate after each lever stroke. The XL650 is a 5 station progressive press that apparently uses the same four-die combination approach, except the fifth stage is usually used for an automatic powder level check which alerts if the dropped load is way too small or too big. That sounds potentially useful-- I visually check each powder dump which slows down the loading. If the auto-powder check can be trusted, then it would speed up the loading for me.

The carbide dies rarely need lube for pistol rounds, though it is good to have the brass clean to avoid unnecessary die wear or sticky-ness.

First station does full length resize and de-prime on down-stroke.

Shell holder rotates on each up-stroke, so the new de-primed shell is sitting in the second station at the top of that first up-stroke. You push the final part of the up-stroke firm and gentle to seat the primer into the shell at the top of the up-stroke.

The next down-stroke, on station 2, drops powder and also flares the cartridge. Then the up-stroke moves the flared loaded cartridge to station 3.

Insert bullet on Third station. The next down-stroke seats the bullet and takes most of the flare out of the cartridge. The next up-stroke moves the shell to station 4.

The station 4 downstroke crimps the round, and station 4 upstroke ejects the finished round into the output bin.

You are adding an empty cartridge to station 1 on every lever cycle, and adding a bullet to a flared loaded cartridge in station 3 on each lever cycle, so every stroke generates a loaded round after the first three strokes.

Guest nicemac

First station does full length resize and de-prime on down-stroke.

Shell holder rotates on each up-stroke, so the new de-primed shell is sitting in the second station at the top of that first up-stroke. You push the final part of the up-stroke firm and gentle to seat the primer into the shell at the top of the up-stroke.

The next down-stroke, on station 2, drops powder and also flares the cartridge. Then the up-stroke moves the flared loaded cartridge to station 3.

Insert bullet on Third station. The next down-stroke seats the bullet and takes most of the flare out of the cartridge. The next up-stroke moves the shell to station 4.

The station 4 downstroke crimps the round, and station 4 upstroke ejects the finished round into the output bin.

You are adding an empty cartridge to station 1 on every lever cycle, and adding a bullet to a flared loaded cartridge in station 3 on each lever cycle, so every stroke generates a loaded round after the first three strokes.

He wants to re-size twice–first to 40 S&W, then to 357. I'm not exactly sure why (then again, there are a lot of things I don't understand), but that was one of his requirements.

Edited by nicemac