TWRA Regulation change

Here is your chance to voice your opinions in hope of some reg changes.

Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency (TWRA) is soliciting comments for its 2011-12 hunting seasons’ regulations. This is an opportunity for the public to share ideas and concerns about hunting regulations with TWRA staff.

Public comments will be considered by TWRA’s Wildlife Division staff and may be presented as proposals for regulation changes. Comments may be submitted by mail to: 2011-12 Hunting Season Comments, TWRA, Wildlife Management Division, P.O. 40747, Nashville, TN 37204 or emailed to twra.comment@tn.gov. Please include “Hunting Season Comments†on the subject line of emailed submissions.

The comment period concerning the 2011-12 hunting season regulations will be open until Feb. 24, 2011.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BEARMAN

Well fella's, here ya' go... here's the link to give your input into next years hunting regs. I've wrote the T.W.R.A. a nice, long letter complaining of just such restrictive hunting methods and means of which to hunt feral hogs and coyote's for the last two years. However, one voice will rarely be heard, but an onslaught of concerned sportsmen and citizen's can't be ignored for long.

Please take the time to write them, and voice your concern's on the hog/coyote issue's facing Tennesseans. It can only mean a win, win situation for us all.

Suggestions taken until Feb.24
th

Thanks...Bearman

Link below...

TWRA Requests Public Input for 2011-12 Hunting Regulations

The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency (TWRA) is soliciting comments for its 2011-12 hunting seasons’ regulations. This is an opportunity for the public to share ideas and concerns about hunting regulations with TWRA staff.

Public comments will be considered by TWRA’s Wildlife Division staff and may be presented as proposals for regulation changes. Comments may be submitted by mail to: 2011-12 Hunting Season Comments, TWRA, Wildlife Management Division, P.O. 40747, Nashville, TN 37204 or emailed
to
. Please include “Hunting Season Comments†on the subject line of emailed submissions.

The comment period concerning the 2011-12 hunting season regulations will be open until Feb. 24, 2011.

Do it now!

Guest BEARMAN

Here's mine....2-5-11

To whom it may concern,

Let me preface this by stating I have been a sportsman license holder since the inception of the sportsman licensing program.

As a concerned sportsman and avid outdoorsman, I wish to address the hunting of the invasive species, in particular, feral hogs and coyotes.

Neither of these two species were ever indigenous to the state of Tennessee. This, by their very nature, makes them an invasive species to our state.

As a lifelong hunter, and a financial contributor to the game populations of Tennessee, I cannot fathom why we aren’t allowed to hunt these vermin in such a way as our breathern states that border us.

I see no reason that either of these species can’t / shouldn’t be hunted at night, over bait and with electronic calls, on W.M.A.’s, etc.

These species are already heavily documented as entering the suburbs, and cities alike, in our great state.

Now is the time gentlemen, to gain a foothold on the spread of these animals, and the disease’s they bring with them.

Crop damage, damage to our large and small game as well as our avian wildlife, can only be reversed by eradicating these vermin in an efficient, and cost savings manner to the people of Tennessee.

Gentlemen, you have this golden opportunity standing before you, begging for the opportunity to help the T.W.R.A. advance this goal in Tennessee.

Let’s, with your help and sensible decision’s, take advantage of this opportunity before more damage can be done to our beautiful state by these destructive creatures.

I wish to propose you to begin in earnest, to invest in Tennessee’s future biological welfare and declare war on these invasive vermin that has overtaken and overwhelmed our state, before it’s too late to reverse…just look to Texas, for an example.

Please, for Tennessee’s future, and our children’s future; let’s reverse the restrictive Hunting regulations the T.W.R.A. has placed upon the hunting of these destructive animals.

The W.M.A. restrictions are contradictory and convoluted at best; and makes the hunting of these vermin next to impossible, except during the deer gun season’s, where centerfire weapons are only allowed then, and only then.

The financial gain to Tennessee’s coffer’s will also be increased; due to more license sales and hunting gear purchases, as well as the financial increase to the motel/ food establishments in the state; as hunter’s travel well and spend their hard earned dollars freely…when they’re enjoying a sport that they support and cherish so dearly.

Thank you for your continued support of Tennessee’s wildlife.

I will put this out there.

Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency - Small Game Hunting

Here is something allot of people Miss

under Illegal equipment, it tells you something that is LEGAL. Funny how they hid a legal item under the Illegal equipment.

http://www.tn.gov/twra/pdfs/huntguide.pdf

]

Rifles or handguns loaded with centerfire

ammunition are prohibited during

all deer, bear, or wild hog seasons for

hunting any wildlife except deer, bear, or

wild hog. Coyotes, crows, groundhogs,

beaver, wild hogs, foxes and bobcats

may be taken by big game hunters while

hunting big game with any legal big game

equipment or ammunition.

[/QUOTE]

I pointed that out to a friend that it was legal to kill a crow in deer season with his Deer rifle, although in crow season it is not when you look at another page.

then page 18

Rifles and handguns using center-fire

ammunition are legal for hunting beaver,

bobcat, coyotes, fox, groundhogs,

and crows, except during deer and bear

seasons, and on wild hog hunts with dogs

permitted. For specific restrictions on

WMAs see page 43.

The hunting guide almost does a double take on it's self

Also, crows are listed as

Migratory Birds which when in season puts them in another category

which leads me to

page 18

Rifles and handguns using rim-fire ammunition

and air rifles are legal for hunting

small game except migratory birds.

I find it funny in deer season a person it allowed to kill a crow with a deer rifle but say in squirrel season a person can't kill a crow with a .22.

[/size]

Not sure if this matters on the state level, but I know when I have written letters in the past commenting on National Forrest issues, I have always been directed to include the wording that I request my letter be entered into the public record regarding the comment period.

I will be writing and sending a paper letter tomorrow for sure with my suggestions.

Also, any of you with a specific "cause" you want addressed, perhaps you should summarize your "issue" in a short descriptive few sentences for the rest of us. I have no problem adding in language to my letter that I am personally ambivalent about, if it helps us all out get clearer and more reasonable regulations.

I sent in my pet peeves.

Dear Sirs,

Here are a few suggestions for Hunting Season Regs.

1) Allow hog hunting year round by any means with or without aids and baiting. These are, and are going to continue to damage our mountains and farms if we do not eradicate these pests. Plus the meat can be used by the hunter or distributed to those in need. The procreation rate of these animals is astounding, astonishing, and frightening.

2) I have read your handbook, website and other PDF documents. While I am fairly well educated, there are those who are not so. Utilization of simpler, plainer language would promote better understanding of the regulations on the books and the reasoning behind them. This would add to increased compliance for good intentioned hunters and strengthen the prosecution of those who poach, spotlight or otherwise break the law.

3) On a humorous note, please misprint duck season dates in the Waterfowl Guide and post the actual dates online. Everyone knows ducks can read very well and are long gone during the season. However, they seem to have a problem with net access thus far. (lol)

• 2 weeks later...

I sent my comments in,

also copied my Commission member, and both state legislators.

Seven well organized pages, several writing sessions, several hours (~6), and several headaches.

Remember to get yours in by the 24th (Thursday).

Bert

Coyotes and Hogs need to be hunted with centerfire year round day during and night to help cut down on their population. Turkey and archery seasons do not need to be used as a reason to stop centerfire/night hunting of coyotes and hogs. Night vision, bait, electronic calls at night also needs to be lifted on coyote and hogs. I would even go so far and let people kill either species without a hunting license because they are both pests and need to be eliminated. I am sick and tired of seeing coyotes even right outside Memphis. They are killing quail, other game birds, and fawns.

Coyotes and Hogs need to be hunted with centerfire year round day during and night to help cut down on their population. Turkey and archery seasons do not need to be used as a reason to stop centerfire/night hunting of coyotes and hogs. Night vision, bait, electronic calls at night also needs to be lifted on coyote and hogs. I would even go so far and let people kill either species without a hunting license because they are both pests and need to be eliminated. I am sick and tired of seeing coyotes even right outside Memphis. They are killing quail, other game birds, and fawns.

I've seen 4 dead does and lost two cows this winter on my girlfriends farm in Brentwood to coyotes! I've only been able to get one yote so far. They are coming after my dogs at night also!!!

Guest adamoxtwo
I've seen 4 dead does and lost two cows this winter on my girlfriends farm in Brentwood to coyotes! I've only been able to get one yote so far. They are coming after my dogs at night also!!!

Soooooo when are we going to have a party and kill some Yotes??