pretty darn fast

Guest jackdog

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That guy was good. Using my leather thumb-break holster (my CCW holster), I can draw and fire one shot from concealment (vest) from the retention position (one-handed, gun out of holster and simply rotated 90 degrees downrange) at a target within arm's reach in about .6-.7 seconds. In 1.07 seconds, he drew from a holster concealed under an untucked shirt (harder/ slower to execute), got a two-handed grip, and shot the guy 10 yards away. I can accomplish what he did with an OWB holster and no concealment in 1.07, but throw on a vest and it adds another .15-.2 seconds. Ripping an untucked shirt before drawing? I'm not sure how much time that would add to my first shot, but it would be a lot. That guy was a pro indeed.

Edited by deerslayer

Now factor out the reaction time to an outside stimulus (buzzer or whatever) and you will cut .25 or so off of those times............

Try this. Place a coin on the back of your hand and hold your hand and forearm parallel to the ground. Then go for your gun. That is more a measure of your draw to shot speed, not your reaction time, and THEN draw to shot speed.

Depending on your height, if you can draw and fire before the coin hits the ground that is about .15 to .10 of a second for a draw and shot. (objects fall 33.3ft/sec so 1/10 the height = 1/10th the time.) Now do it from concealment. How much slower was that? Interesting thing to play with......

Now factor out the reaction time to an outside stimulus (buzzer or whatever) and you will cut .25 or so off of those times............

Try this. Place a coin on the back of your hand and hold your hand and forearm parallel to the ground. Then go for your gun. That is more a measure of your draw to shot speed, not your reaction time, and THEN draw to shot speed.

Depending on your height, if you can draw and fire before the coin hits the ground that is about .15 to .10 of a second for a draw and shot. (objects fall 33.3ft/sec so 1/10 the height = 1/10th the time.) Now do it from concealment. How much slower was that? Interesting thing to play with......

Nice practice tip. Will be practicing that one.

Draw and fire in .15? I don't think I can do that.

I guess short people are screwed then. :eek: Draw and fire, but how accurate will you be?

O crap, didn't think about that, I'm 5'9":rolleyes: Will need more practice:D

Guest jackdog

I think a key point in the video that was mentioned was the reaction time. I believe they used 1.5 seconds. as an average. Point being that action is always quicker than reaction.

Actually what they were saying is a world class shooter has a reaction time to the buzzer of about .15 of a second. So that is how far they moved the "beep" ahead of him starting his draw stroke. The "average guy" reaction time is more like .25 to .35 (or more) . So reaction time and draw is definitely different than just straight up draw speed.

Someone asked what kind of accuracy you can get. Usually COM hits on targets at 2-3 yards away. Now, I can't do it that fast with a 2 handed eye level shot. I'm drawing and shooting from "retention" or "point shooting" if you must call it that. But I'm also doing it from concealment just like in the video but from under an untucked polo shirt. I'll try to post video of me doing it. I have a snippet of that in a video presentation I'm doing at the Rangemaster Tactical Conference at the end of this month in Memphis.

If you want to know your actual draw time without reaction time and have access to a timer start with the gun loaded and ready to fire pointed down range and have someone push the button and you fire. Then you have your reaction time to an audible signal then just subtract that from your draw time.

Guest Papabear
was that first gun rigged for auto???

I can not believe any one can move a finger that quick. Even if it was not full auto I bet it is one light trigger.

If you are talking about Jerry Miculek video then its fairly light. His comp guns run about 2.5 to 3 pounds for trigger pull.