1911 mags sometimes won't drop free at slidelock?

Guest CK1

It's not the bushings or grip screws, not the mags (they're new and in-spec), and not the sear spring sneaking into the mag channel... actually, pretty sure it's the mag release.

It's an Ed Brown extended "tactical" mag release in an STI Trojan 9mm, mags are Wilson ETM's... thoughts? (thinking I need to do a little file work or something)

TIA.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To determine whether it is or is no the mag catch do this.

Lock the slide back just like when you are having the problem.

Remove the magazine catch then insert the magazine.

If it drops free it is the mag catch, if not then it is the trigger bow.

I have seen both cause problems. The mag catch is the easiest to fix but the trigger bow isn't that ahrd but you have to disassemble the gun to get at it.

Dolomite

Ah... the 1911. Most reliable weapons platform ever. Perfectly suitable for use by the MEUSOC in Asscrackistan or other remote sectors of the world where there is ample time and resources for field gunsmithing. :screwy:

Yep David, more ignorant rhetoric. Let's pretend that he didn't put in an Ed Brown extended mag catch or maybe a different trigger, and let's pretend that my buddy running an M&P in limited doesn't have to shake the hell out of the gun trying to get his mags to drop free and you might have a point.

Know this David. I am only a fan of the platform because of what it has proven to me. If I thought for a second another platform would give me even the slightest advantage I would be gone so fast it would make your head spin. I can point to dozens of people who have after putting tens of thousands of rounds down range (closer to 100k), who have worked very hard to make A or M class that have switched to the 1911 platform after gaining those serious skills. On the contrary, I know of not a single person who has gone the other direction.

Plus, maybe you shouldn't hijack a thread since I see the big orange Administrator sign under your pic.

Tim, it's not the mags, happens at random with any/all of them, seems like something to do with how I press the catch while going fast or it needs a bit of tlc to not get caught up...?

David, for someone who cannot walk the walk, you sure like to talk the talk, I likely run any one of my pistols harder in a single practice session than you probaly ever have to a single one ever over the whole time you've had them, and, Tim has more shooting skill in his pinky than you have on your whole out-of shape body, so humble yourself, add something useful, or just butt out.

Oh, FWIW, I also seem to remember a thread from a while back where you had all sorts of issues with your beloved M&Ps at a CIS class, so now instead of being just a snide jerk, you're also a hypocrite, nice.

9mm 1911,

I have heard of problems like this with everyone I know that has a 9mm whether it is Nighthawk, STI the problem seems to be the same this is why I only have .45ACP 1911's

If you installed the Ed Brown part, were you having these issues before that? if not I would replace it with your stock part and see if the problem goes away

Edited by willis68

Wow, can't we all just get along... :popcorn:

Back to the OP, did this problem occur before the mag release was changed? My engineering background makes me want to rule out other possibilities. If the problem started when the mag release was installed, there's where you need to start looking.

Tim, it's not the mags, happens at random with any/all of them, seems like something to do with how I press the catch while going fast or it needs a bit of tlc to not get caught up...?

That really sounds like the mag catch. Before I even put a mag catch in a gun I will releave material on the button side so that when the button is pushed, the rise of the mag catch cannot touch the magazine. Then make sure it is flush or below the mag well on the main plane as well.

The slide release can also do this depending on the magazines used (Mags and followers are all a little different). What happens is that a part of the follower will push up ever so slightly on the rounded part of the slide release lug, and will want to drag ever so slightly on the release.

I doubt it is the trigger bow since STI's bow channel is usually plenty deep. But you never know. Plus I've seen brand new bows out of shape.

Edited by timcalhoun
9mm 1911,

I have heard of problems like this with everyone I know that has a 9mm whether it is Nighthawk, STI the problem seems to be the same this is why I only have .45ACP 1911's

I'm pretty sure STI uses the same frame no matter what caliber. To my knowledge there is no such thing as a 9mm 1911 frame. Slides, firing pins, extractors etc....yes, but I don't believe frames.

hmmm... well, now I'm confused, been dropping different mags with the gun at slide-lock for about 30 minutes now and can't get the problem to surface...

Yesterday I gave the gun it's first real full-on detail-stripped cleaning as I topped 1000+rds through it, and it was pretty darn disgusting inside. Every single last piece got the deluxe treatment and then all the parts got oiled and I put it back together, thinking maybe the issue may have been just to do with all the crud caught up in it. Only time I can replicate the issue is if I hit the mag release super quick and lightly and release it just as quick, then it'll grab the mag before it's gotten out of the gun, that's just operator error and on me though, and at the speed of the drills I was running it's highly possible that I was just f'ing up and not really pressing the catch correctly (splits in the teens, and rapid-fire, fast-reload type stuff)... So, hmmm, kind of like a car that won't stay broke when it goes into the shop, looks like I'm going to keep an eye on it to see if I can really track it down...:popcorn:

FWIW, yeah, I was VERY skeptical of 9mm really working in a 1911, but have to say I'm now a believer and that now I know for sure it can be done.

I was running the gun just filthy yesterday, WAY dirtier than almost anyone would run a 1911 in ANY caliber, and through 300rds it just ran and ran.

I'll say this, the stuff you hear from guys like Larry Vickers and such about the 1911 platform being a commitment to being your own armorer is true, probably just more so in the case of the 9mm version. I've read countless articles/threads on 9mm 1911's to sleuth out the "do's" and "don'ts" and think that has A LOT to do with it: I bought quality from the start, nobody builds more 1911-style guns in calibers other than .45 than STI and they have got it down better than anybody IMO, I didn't skimp on mags and treated their choice as serious as choosing the gun, and finally, I learned the science of springing guns correctly, do to the weight of the slide and the obstacle of feeding the shorter OAL round in a frame originally intended for a longer round, 9mm 1911's tend to work best with an 8-12lb spring, yet fairly universally most companies aren't really into shipping them out that way as a newb in a LGS may mistake a light spring for a loose gun, but it turns out it's all timing, if the slide out runs the mags you're f'ed, if the slide moves sluggishly you're f'ed, etc. you get the idea... there's a lot to 'em, they're not for the uninitiated or uninformed, but yeah, they'll run.

Edited by CK1
hmmm... well, now I'm confused, been dropping different mags with the gun at slide-lock for about 30 minutes now and can't get the problem to surface...

A couple things. You will mash that button way harder under pressure than you will at a practice session. Often, it will only show up at a match and nowhere else. Secondly, if these are slide lock reloads, there is not a ton of pressure pushing the mag out at that point, and many folks have the gun at the wrong angle allowing it to hang up on the way out just on it's own friction (this problem will really rear its ugly head the faster you get). I'm sure you have seen this, but check out the angle of the gun when he ejects the mag and how then and only then he changes the angle to insert the mag.

• Administrator
Yep David, more ignorant rhetoric. Let's pretend that he didn't put in an Ed Brown extended mag catch or maybe a different trigger, and let's pretend that my buddy running an M&P in limited doesn't have to shake the hell out of the gun trying to get his mags to drop free and you might have a point.

Plus, maybe you shouldn't hijack a thread since I see the big orange Administrator sign under your pic.

Tim, you might shoot better than Jesus himself when you're gaming, and CK1 might think you hung the moon, but I'm not about to carry your water for you. It has nothing to do with me being the owner/admin of this site. It has a lot to do with you not being able to handle a little friendly ribbing and being a complete girl about it.

Tim has more shooting skill in his pinky than you have on your whole out-of shape body, so humble yourself, add something useful, or just butt out.

Oh, FWIW, I also seem to remember a thread from a while back where you had all sorts of issues with your beloved M&Ps at a CIS class, so now instead of being just a snide jerk, you're also a hypocrite, nice.

I tried to read this several different ways and think of how I could just be the bigger, out of shape guy about this. Frankly, I can't. You took a lighthearted attempt at poking fun and ramped it up to something personal. You're done here. Maybe Tim will let you hold it for him out on the range some more now that you won't be able to on TGO anymore.

You guys both need to lighten up and not take things so serious.