Hiking Pack

Guest bkelm18

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 73challenger

I just bought a Maxpedition Falcon II for a hiking pack / overnight camping bag. It is smaller than I thought it was going to be so It's going to be my hiking and edc bag. I bought it just for the CCW area...I would not suggest this. It would take FOREVER to draw from this pack. Overall it's very nice though.

Guest bkelm18
I just bought a Maxpedition Falcon II for a hiking pack / overnight camping bag. It is smaller than I thought it was going to be so It's going to be my hiking and edc bag. I bought it just for the CCW area...I would not suggest this. It would take FOREVER to draw from this pack. Overall it's very nice though.

That seems to be the common theme when buying Maxpedition gear. It's a lot smaller than you thought it would be, which is a shame since the packs are extremely well made.

That seems to be the common theme when buying Maxpedition gear. It's a lot smaller than you thought it would be, which is a shame since the packs are extremely well made.

yeah. It's a common trend. However, I did warn YOU before you bought it. :cool:

They list the Falcon II at 1500 cu in., which is really quite small for pack. About the size of a small-ish kid's school backpack. It also looks like it has lots of small pockets instead of one real big pocket. For reference, a typical hiking daypack is at 2000-2500 cu in. A multi-day pack is 3500-6000 cu in. I also have no idea how you'd draw a gun from a backpack.

Guest 73challenger
They list the Falcon II at 1500 cu in., which is really quite small for pack. About the size of a small-ish kid's school backpack. It also looks like it has lots of small pockets instead of one real big pocket. For reference, a typical hiking daypack is at 2000-2500 cu in. A multi-day pack is 3500-6000 cu in. I also have no idea how you'd draw a gun from a backpack.

Ya, I wish I would have known this before I bought it... I'm glad I bought it used of eBay instead of paying $100.

• 1 month later...
Without a doubt the LA police gear caombat pack is the best deal for the money. There are some better packs out there but they cost LOTS more.

Have to agree. I recently suggested one of my friends try out one of the LAPG bags. I was impressed. Hard to beat considering the small price tag.

I have a Maxpedition Falcon II as an EDC bag. It is small, but it serves well in an EDC/day hike role.

Guest Bronker
...I have a Maxpedition Falcon II as an EDC bag. It is small, but it serves well in an EDC/day hike role.

I've just bought one as well. What all do you have on it / in it?

I've just bought one as well. What all do you have on it / in it?

In no particular order:

Firesteel

Waterproof matches

Water filter (Katadyn Hiker)

2L water bladder

Water treatment tablets (iodine based)

1x change of clothing (warm weather stuff at the moment)

Emergency bivvy

Generic 8x12 tarp.

Generic Bushbuddy wood burning stove

Kindling (in stove)

Petroleum Jelly soaked Cotton

One-person mess kit.

Tikka 2 LED Headlamp

Quark Mini AA flashlight (+ extra battery)

Sunscreen

Bug Spray

Tooth brush

Tooth paste

Deodorant

100ft paracord

Victorinox Swiss Army Ranger knife clipped on the outside of the pack with a caribiner.

A first-aid kit (bandages, OTC medications, tweezers, etc) are in a Condor MOLLE equipped bag strapped to the webbing on the back of the Falcon II.

Also keep at least a day or two worth of food. Oatmeal packets, tuna in the pouch, crackers, Ramen, etc..

I'm probably forgetting some stuff, but that's most of what generally stays in it when it is on truck duty. Of course I'll adjust as needed if I need the pack for something else.

Guest Bronker
In no particular order:

Firesteel

Waterproof matches

Water filter (Katadyn Hiker)

2L water bladder

Water treatment tablets (iodine based)

1x change of clothing (warm weather stuff at the moment)

Emergency bivvy

Generic 8x12 tarp.

Generic Bushbuddy wood burning stove

Kindling (in stove)

Petroleum Jelly soaked Cotton

One-person mess kit.

Tikka 2 LED Headlamp

Quark Mini AA flashlight (+ extra battery)

Sunscreen

Bug Spray

Tooth brush

Tooth paste

Deodorant

100ft paracord

Victorinox Swiss Army Ranger knife clipped on the outside of the pack with a caribiner.

A first-aid kit (bandages, OTC medications, tweezers, etc) are in a Condor MOLLE equipped bag strapped to the webbing on the back of the Falcon II.

Also keep at least a day or two worth of food. Oatmeal packets, tuna in the pouch, crackers, Ramen, etc..

I'm probably forgetting some stuff, but that's most of what generally stays in it when it is on truck duty. Of course I'll adjust as needed if I need the pack for something else.

Great list, j. Thanks for taking the time to post the list. Very helpful.:tough:

Guest Eagle One

Greetings from the West side of this great state. I have a medium size Kelty that I use to carry my fishing gear when we are not using the boat. All of the fishing gear that I think I may need plus some water and snacks fits in nicely. Then I have a medium size fanny type pack from Kelty that does a great job as a weapon toter, it is very useful and allows easy access to my .357 when I feel the need. I have found that by using the two pieces together that it is extremely versital and has plenty of room for mild to medium hiking....