Sandpiper of California (S.O.C.) Long Range Bugout Bag

Guest Bronker

Guest Bronker

400_38.jpg

Features: 1000-D Cordura, Expandable main compartment, Stress point reinforced stitching, Padded tuck-away straps; Accessory caribiner, webbing attachment points, non-slip shoulder straps, organizer panel, Padded carry strap, Padded waist belt, Name tag panel, Luggage tag. Approx 6840 cu. in.

Does anyone have any first hand knowledge and experience with these bag or this brand? I've handled one just like this one, as sold by the U.S. Cavalry stores locally. It seemed to be very tough, quite roomy, and I was considering it for the Get-Home-Bag that stayed in my trunk until such day that the SHTF and I'm miles from home.

Just really interested in a bag that I can get home with, as me and my family are certainly BIB's (Bug-IN Baggers). If I can get home, I'll be where I need to be to make my only desired stand.

I have a couple of Maxpedition bags that serve as EDC's and carry the light essentials, but I need the bigger, backpack style that is more substantial to last me the 2-4 days it may take for me to get home. And for simplicity sake, I've narrowed my choice down to the SOC LongRange Bugout Bag vs. the Maxpedition Doppelduffel.

What say you?

Edited by Bronker
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bronker
...Affordable stuff and above average quality...

Considering this source, and totally trusting your judgment on such matters among others, I feel totally confident in my purchase.

Thanks for the input, Joe.

:rolleyes:

Guest Bronker
I don't buy anything that has a connection to Kalifornia. Call me stupid...
Ok...you're stupid.

Beat me to it!:)

How do you feel about buying 90% of your consumable, non-food goods made by an 8 year-old Chinese kid in a slave camp passed off as a textile factory? Feel good about that?

Dang...I derailed my own thread!

Guest Bronker

I actually received my bag yesterday. Shipped 2/28, received 3/1. Not bad.

First impression: Inconspicuous little giant. Hard to believe that it rates at 7700 c.i. capacity. Seems to be well-made, but short of 'Maxpedition-esque' quality build.

I'll do a detail with pics later.

...First impression: Inconspicuous little giant. Hard to believe that it rates at 7700 c.i. capacity.

14" x 13.5" x 24", right? That's 4536. And would be less than that, cause it's not an actual empty cube with those dimensions, and is only using the largest thickness measure of outside bottom pocket.

- OS

Guest Lester Weevils

I like the looks and reviews of that bag, though as OhShoot says, unless the thing was stuffed until it is round as a tick, it probably wouldn't be 7700 cu in unless the published dimensions are wrong.

Last dec was lookin for a bag that size to keep in the new jeep. Sources such as Cheaper Than Dirt had import bags that look like that, but had numerous bad user reviews about flimsy construction and poor durability.

I have a big nice rugged internal-frame backbacking bag but it is the traditional open on top and bottom with only a couple of small external pockets. It is real inconvenient to try to get to something in the middle of that bag. You basically have to half-unpack it. Works best if you "modularize" the contents in multiple stuff sacks.

Most of the "multi compartment" bags are on the small side.

Guest Bronker
14" x 13.5" x 24", right? That's 4536...- OS

Quoted from a source at 7700 ci. I'll look for that source. I grasp the concept of rough dimensions, and agree it seems less. However (and regardless) it is plenty of room, especially with the option of fully expanding the zippered compartment. The selling point for me was that I'd had my hands on it, it fit my needs, and the quality was better than average. I did not wet myself over the magic 7000" mark. Plus, I am not interested in filling it for the sake of filling it. It's going to be a GHB, kept in the car, with enough food / shelter / supplies to get me and potentially three others home. We are 'in-buggers'. I just need to get there.

Inconspicuous little giant. Hard to believe that it rates at 7700 c.i. capacity...

Emphasis added just for you, Chief.:)

Edited by Bronker
Guest clownsdd
Beat me to it!:)

How do you feel about buying 90% of your consumable, non-food goods made by an 8 year-old Chinese kid in a slave camp passed off as a textile factory? Feel good about that?

Dang...I derailed my own thread!

You did it. As far as the foreign goods, I guess I am one of the few that checks labels and origins before I buy. I purchase Made in US whenever I can. As far as the Chinese kid, and I'm gonna take heat for this, I really don't give it a thought. What with the money that our gubment is spending in other countries that could be put to better us helping, the kids we have in provery and trouble here.

Guest Bronker
You did it. As far as the foreign goods, I guess I am one of the few that checks labels and origins before I buy. I purchase Made in US whenever I can. As far as the Chinese kid, and I'm gonna take heat for this, I really don't give it a thought. What with the money that our gubment is spending in other countries that could be put to better us helping, the kids we have in provery and trouble here.

Absolutely. Well put.

...Plus, I am not interested in filling it for the sake of filling it. ...

Roger that.

I actually carry this around pretty much daily.

policestuff_2149_284228654

Claims 2590 c.i., plus I have 4 additional various Molle cases on it. Could add more stuff to bottom, or simply tie on sleeping bags, etc.

This gets about 20 miles a week with basic stuff in there plus gym stuff ('bout 12 lbs), and another 5 to 10 miles on other missions, with up to 45 lbs or so total for roughly have those miles (mostly groceries).

Point being, I couldn't fill with average assortment of stuff and still carry a bag with much more capacity.

- OS

Guest Bronker
policestuff_2149_284228654

My wife's GHB is that exact bag. Pretty good bag. It doesn't fit me at all...keep in mind that I'm 6'7" and 350 lbs. For perspective's sake, the SOC bag is a level of quality a bit higher than this LAPG bag, but not quite that of Maxpedition. I have yet to find anything that can touch Maxpedition quality. They just don't make backpacks for Gigantors!

The SOC bag fits me perfect. I'll do a pic review.

Guest bkelm18
I have yet to find anything that can touch Maxpedition quality. They just don't make backpacks for Gigantors!

Funny you should say that. I just bought a Maxpedition Condor II. I'm a pretty big guy and wearing that bag makes me look like I'm wearing a 5 year old's backpack. I'm pretty sure the waist belt rides at or above my belly button. I plan on using it for day-hikes so we'll see how it turns out. :up:

Funny you should say that. I just bought a Maxpedition Condor II. I'm a pretty big guy and wearing that bag makes me look like I'm wearing a 5 year old's backpack. I'm pretty sure the waist belt rides at or above my belly button. I plan on using it for day-hikes so we'll see how it turns out. :P

hey I warned you ;p

Guest Bronker
Funny you should say that. I just bought a Maxpedition Condor II. I'm a pretty big guy and wearing that bag makes me look like I'm wearing a 5 year old's backpack. I'm pretty sure the waist belt rides at or above my belly button. I plan on using it for day-hikes so we'll see how it turns out. :P

Soooooooooo much THIS!