The Ethics of Breeding vs. Rescuing Pets.

Marswolf

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No county has ever ran a shelter I've visited. It was private rescue groups.

Then you are lucky. Our county shelter is run by the county and its a disaster. The vet previously used to euthanize animals is now up on several cruelty to animal charges. A private group WANTS to take over the shelter, but the county mayor wont allow it -he does not want to see tax $ given to non-profit groups.

We also have a private shelter in the county as well. Needless to say, my $ goes to the private group.

One reason shelters charge a fee is to keep people from collecting the dogs and selling them as lab animals.

My concern would be finding my pet the best possible home. Getting paid for it would be the last thing I'd be concerned about. Guess everyone is different.

What he said.

Guest TNDixieGirl

Oh our county has a so-called "shelter". A high-kill shelter. They've recently been busted putting down dogs while there were people actually STANDING IN THE BUILDING trying to adopt said dogs. People begged them not to kill them and let them fill out the paperwork and they refused. What kind of scumbag does that???? No response really needed, I know the answer already. :)

Congrats Glock. I'm glad for you and the pup. :tinfoil:

Mars, I hate to derail your thread, but I'm going to.

Why did you throw your internet message board moderator weight around in the radiator thread when people started discussing something other than guns, and then turn around an hour later and start this animal ethics thread?

Regardless, it's a gun board as Mars said. How long before posts start disappearing in this thread like they *almost* did in the radiator thread mad1.gif
Much of what we discuss here is a matter of ethics, but not a matter of religious belief. Is it ethical to prevent people from carrying weapons to protect themselves from thugs? Is it ethical to forbid carry in some locations like a restaurant that serves alcohol? These ethical concepts may be as easily considered by an atheist as a religious person and come down to practical concepts. That is largely the touchstone, whether an ethical concept may be held without reliance on religion.

If you want to argue that abortion is good or bad because it saves or costs the public tax dollars, that is very different than arguing that it is good or bad because God (or more like his self-proclaimed representative) told you it was OK or not OK There is no sensible debate of belief.

When you get into things that are matters of religious doctrine, rather than logic and general convention (such as, for example, that murder and stealing are bad), you are just saying that one idea is better than another just because you happen to believe it. In my view, that is the equivalent of two kids shouting at the top of their lungs that their dad is more handsome that the other kid's dad. It is inherently unresolvable, a waste of time, and needlessly divisive.

I don't think anyone can reasonably accuse me of being a board Nazi.

Mars, I don't recall in that radiator thread ever saying anything about religion or God. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that statement. I think abortion is a matter of ethics. Don't you think abortion is a subject that "may be as easily considered by an atheist as a religious person?" I for one do. I have to agree with ReefBlueCoupe on what he said too. I also think that the abortion issue was a much more relevant discussion than this ridiculous thread. I don't think it was right of you to threaten to make those posts disappear. Just my .02.

Mars, I hate to derail your thread, but I'm going to.

Why did you throw your internet message board moderator weight around in the radiator thread when people started discussing something other than guns, and then turn around an hour later and start this animal ethics thread?

This thread already existed in the for-sale area, I moved it over here and the first chronological post in this split off portion was Mars' (which was where the discussion began).

Adoption of pets, abortion, civil rights, etc... can all be argued from an ethical, political, or religious standpoint (or combination thereof). I think there is room for all of those viewpoints here. All that is asked, is for those opinions to remain in relevant threads, and the discussion to remain civil. There is no problem discussing non-gun-related issues in this sub-forum, and it will only be moderated if the rules set forth by the owner are broken. If something off-topic comes up in an inappropriate thread, I will move it before considering deleting it... but, a little bit of thread drift is to be expected sometimes.

Guest TargetShooter84

I am a dog-lover and I think ALL dogs should be treated very well since they are man's best friend and they should be adopted/rescued by good families, regardless. Everytime I see a poor dog thats been treated badly, I get angry about it and makes me want to go after the owner....thats just me though. Dogs deserve so much better.

Guest gcrookston

All of my dogs in the last 10 years have been rescues. Canuck cost exactly $0.00, save for driving to pick him up when he was turned in. I happily paid $75.00 each to the non-profit for Tina and Greta after they were seized from a puppy mill in Colorado...

dsc001299ih.jpg

All dogs are AKC. Canuck - English Bull Terrier, Greta - Scottish Terrier, Tina - Italian Greyhound

Edited by gcrookston
Guest GetoffTheX

This topic is all subjective, just like anything else. Its funny how on a Pro 2A message board one of our own is so quick to call another a douche bag for handling a dog sale differently than he would have liked.

It's screamingly obvious that GlockingTn is a trader of goods. Be it animals, firearms, vehicles etc. Its extremely obvious as well that his attention span is pretty small and his understanding of anything out of his immediate comfort zone is minimal. I'm sure alot of you out there feel exactly like I do every time he has a teacup sized dog for sale, or a German Shepard, or the countless cars, pistols, phones, motorcylce, did I mention Pistols? And the elaborate stories that go along with the merchandise is a bonus as well. But thats neither here nor there, because theres a merchandise forum here on TGO, and SwappingTn, ooops I mean GlockingTn meets all of the forums qualifications to post there.

Put your personal feelings aside for a minute and ask yourself if you're really being fair to the poster in question. And then man up and ask yourself why you just didn't PM GlockingTn and call him a puppy peddling, horse trading douche bag to begin with if thats how you really feel instead of running all over his for sale post. :devil:

Edited by GetoffTheX