The Ethics of Breeding vs. Rescuing Pets.

Marswolf

I rescue dogs. I am down to 3 right now. Have had 7. They never leave. After a while they die, with a lot of love around them. I provide their burial space.

I'm sorry but I get dogs from animal shelter to rescue them from death from neglect. I never buy dogs from commercial sources,. Registration is a scam to enrich the agencies. I absolutely, totally, despise registration scams from AKC, etc. Registration is worthless and stupid. I get dogs from people who care about the dog, not their monetary value.

I'd give you $35 to rescue the dog to a very good home with other dogs who have been through a puppy mill environment. I'll drive there to pick her up.

Sorry to be so blunt.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TNDixieGirl

Aww how precious. If I didn't already have 3 dogs, I'd scoop him up in a heartbeat. 2 of our 3 are rescue dogs, the 3rd is a product of the two before we got them fixed. But I wouldn't hesitate to take any li'l guy (or big guy) needing a new home.

OK!:confused:

Sorry, its for the children....right?

I fall right in the middle on this one. If you can't take it with you and your concern is for the animal, then the qualities of the potential new owner would take precedence over the potential recovery of money spent. I would never pay for a dog either. There is nothing special about a registration, I'm sure there are plenty of pure bred animals that suck as pets yet thousands of mutts that will devot their lifes to an owner.

A quality potential owner would probably offer to help recompense you for the "dog".

Guest GlocKingTN
Sorry, its for the children....right?

I fall right in the middle on this one. If you can't take it with you and your concern is for the animal, then the qualities of the potential new owner would take precedence over the potential recovery of money spent. I would never pay for a dog either. There is nothing special about a registration, I'm sure there are plenty of pure bred animals that suck as pets yet thousands of mutts that will devot their lifes to an owner.

A quality potential owner would probably offer to help recompense you for the "dog".

Let me get this straight.....your replying to a thread in the "For Sale" section of this forum. You stated above, and I quote, "I would never pay for a dog either"! So my question to you is this, why the hell are you even replying to my thread? This isn't the "Let me give my .02 section of the forum"! This is the "For Sale" section of the forum. So how about keeping the reply's on the subject at hand.

If anyone else is replying to my thread, and insist on telling me what I "need" to do, dont bother replying!

Let me get this straight.....your replying to a thread in the "For Sale" section of this forum. You stated above, and I quote, "I would never pay for a dog either"! So my question to you is this, why the hell are you even replying to my thread? This isn't the "Let me give my .02 section of the forum"! This is the "For Sale" section of the forum. So how about keeping the reply's on the subject at hand.

If anyone else is replying to my thread, and insist on telling me what I "need" to do, dont bother replying!

Ok.

I would be all over this if it wasn't a dog.

Guest TNDixieGirl

Even when you "rescue" a dog, you WILL pay for it. They call it an adoption fee, but you're paying for it no matter what it's called. I've never gotten off lucky enough to pay a mere $35 adoption fee either. Cheapest one so far was $75. Highest so far was $110. I guess if I were superior enough to say I'd never pay for a dog, my little guys would be dead.

Guest TNDixieGirl

No county has ever ran a shelter I've visited. It was private rescue groups.

Why is off-setting shelter cost any different than Glock trying to recoupe his vet fees, training time, etc.?

And I'm not trying to sound like a smart-ass here. I just don't understand your harsh attitude about him trying to sell his pup.

Guest rockytop

+ 1 on what Dixie said.

If anyone has purchased a gun and found that they can't use it, don't try to recover your purchase cost. Just give it to ME.

Edited by rockytop

One reason shelters charge a fee is to keep people from collecting the dogs and selling them as lab animals.

My concern would be finding my pet the best possible home. Getting paid for it would be the last thing I'd be concerned about. Guess everyone is different.

One reason shelters charge a fee is to keep people from collecting the dogs and selling them as lab animals.

My concern would be finding my pet the best possible home. Getting paid for it would be the last thing I'd be concerned about. Guess everyone is different.

One of our dogs I got from our county shelter, they gave him to me for FREE. I was just there to bail my beagle out of doggie prison and fell in love, the animal control officer didn't want to see him put down and no one wanted an 80lb dog. They even gave me a coupon to get him fixed for $10. Best $10 I've ever spent too. Sorry to get so personal but,

I'm with Marswolf

Guest TNDixieGirl

So what you guys are saying is, if he gives the dog away for free, he's a great guy. But if he sells it to try and get some of his money back, he doesn't really give a rip about the dog? I don't get that line of thinking at all and I'm a dog rescue fan.

So what you guys are saying is, if he gives the dog away for free, he's a great guy. But if he sells it to try and get some of his money back, he doesn't really give a rip about the dog? I don't get that line of thinking at all and I'm a dog rescue fan.

I am discouraging buying/selling dogs because of thier papers or certifications. I am in no way singling out Glocking for selling his pup, just giving my .02 on the topic, since thats what forums are for.

Maybe it will get someone to think that maybe next time they want a dog, a shelter should be the first place they look, instead of the breeders section of the newspaper.

I think people know my view. Nuff said.

I'll tell you a quick story that really isn't related to this matter.. When my future wife and I were dating (and living together - yeah, old people do that too :blush:) we got a Lhasa Apso - not from a breeder. Our first "rescue". I came home one day and found Pat crying. I finally got out of her the problem that was causing this distress. It seems that the Lhasa had bitten her and she was concerned that I might insist we get rid of the dog. My response was that when we got the dog, we made a commitment to take care of it. When you get a dog, you have made a commitment that transcends other problems. It's a matter of honor to me.

I could say a lot more, but I'm finished with this topic. The less I hear of it the better.

Guest GlocKingTN

The reason MY puppy is "for sale". Is because she was "for sale" when I got her. She wasnt given to me, therefore I wont be giving her away! Its not totally about the money, its more about a good home. But at the same time, it wasnt free to me, and it wont be free to the new owner. As far as the registration, in my opinion, its a way of knowing that you own a PURE bred dog, not a mutt! And if you will notice, MOST dogs you get at a rescue, or pound, are mutts! Very few are purebred, which is more than likely the reason they are at a pound or rescue! Im not saying mutts arent good dogs by no means. But they are usually there because the owners couldnt GIVE them away!

Unfortunately, I cannot help you out by taking her. I have a dog, two cats and a teenager :blush: so I'm already overrun. I do however want everyone to realize, whether you think she or any dog is worth it or not, Chihuahua's sell for anywhere between $600 and $1000 every day. I have absolutely no doubt that you can find a home for her AND get $200. Good Luck.

Dave

But at the same time, it wasnt free to me, and it wont be free to the new owner. As far as the registration, in my opinion, its a way of knowing that you own a PURE bred dog, not a mutt!

It's not my fault you were taken for a ride.

I regret that you bit into the hype. There is no such thing as a purebred dog. I could submit paperwork that my parakeet is a purebred dog and the agencies would never check on it. They do not inspect kennels or check DNA. I have no way to explain on a family board how vile breeders are.

Registration is meaningless and inherently fraudulent. My "registered breeder" Bichon Frise is obviously mostly a poodle to anyone who really knows anything about dog breeds - and I do. I can spot real Bichon in a second. My registered Bichon breeder isn't one. Do you care?

You really don't want to get me started on this. You really don't.!I know a lot about it. I know a lot about dogs. Purebred status is a scam. It's a matter of money and to the feeble of mind, something of importance.

Give the dog to a good home - for free if you really care about it. Just a serving suggestion.

I think this is a worthwhile discussion, as long as everyone can be civil.

Personally, I prefer adoption. Putting a price on the life of an animal simply for companionship doesn't appeal to me, but that's just me. I don't have any say over what anyone else does with regard to their pets, I'm only responsible for myself.

(merging other thread)

Guest canynracer

LOL...

I for one adopted my dog...

I also agree with Glocking trying to sell his dog...I dont think he is a "puppy shop", I believe he loves the dog, but unfortunate situations make him have to sell...but honestly, I also think that putting a 200 price tag also helps make the best assurance you can make that the dog will go to a decent home...I dont think anyone here would destroy 200 bucks...Giving the dog away seems a little unsettleing to me....people tend to not care about what is given to them.

Regardless of the pure bred status, or whether its true or not is irrelevant really, I am no dog expert, but I rely on the dog experts to give me some assurance that the dogs status is legit.

Hey Marswolf.......I thought this was a gun board :eek:......here's a quote by you that's in the stolen radiator thread....."If this turns into a religio-centric thread, posts will disappear. Hey folks, it's a gun board, not a religion board." I guess it's ok for the Super Moderator to get off subject as long as it's an issue that matters to him.....just not ok for the rest of us folks? Am I wrong or isn't that why there's an "off topic" section on here?

BTW, I also believe in rescuing dogs vs. buying them. If more people would spay/nueter their pets, we wouldn't have such a problem with all these unwanted dogs/cats.