Taurus Service

Guest bkelm18

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ken45
Ok, not impressed anymore. Received the revolver back today and with about 3-4 minutes of dry firing, the cylinder failed to lock 3 times and over-rotated, which of course would still cause the firing pin to miss the primer. On the sheet they said they adjusted the timing, which they must not have done much since it's doing the same thing with about the same frequency. :)

Sorry to hear that your experienced echoed mine. I mentioned that it took three tries to get a good one :( I like mine but I probably would not buy a Taurus again.

Well maybe they adjusted the timing as claimed....they just didn't test after adjusting?

Guest bkelm18
Sorry to hear that your experienced echoed mine. I mentioned that it took three tries to get a good one :) I like mine but I probably would not buy a Taurus again.

Well maybe they adjusted the timing as claimed....they just didn't test after adjusting?

It's possible. The problem is, it doesn't over-rotate every time. When dry firing it happens maybe 2 or 3 times out of a hundred. When firing at the range maybe half the time. So it's possible they ran a full cylinder through it and didn't experience any issue.

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

Seems weird that you are experiencing over-rotation more at the range than empty. It would seem to me (uneducated though I am at gunsmithing) that the cylinder would be more likely to under-rotate with the extra weight of the rounds than to over-rotate. Unless it's an inertia thing...:)

Guest bkelm18
Seems weird that you are experiencing over-rotation more at the range than empty. It would seem to me (uneducated though I am at gunsmithing) that the cylinder would be more likely to under-rotate with the extra weight of the rounds than to over-rotate. Unless it's an inertia thing...:)

Yeah that's what I was thinking, that the extra weight of the rounds would give it more momentum and make it easier for it to over-rotate.

Guest MrCleaner30

That's funny I haven't heard nearly any bad stories recently about Taurus' customer service. In fact, the only ones I've heard from friends are: they were sent an entirely new gun, or it came back with night sights, or they got back an extra mag, etc. I think in the past few years they may have been somewhat poor but recently they have really improved their service.

Edited by MrCleaner30
Guest bkelm18

OK, it's on it's way to Taurus. Again. I was as descriptive as I could possibly be on the work order. We'll see. I'm not necessarily disappointed in their service since the problem doesn't reveal itself every single time, but I wish they woulda contacted me prior to returning it to me since whatever they did had absolutely no effect on the problem.

OK, it's on it's way to Taurus. Again. I was as descriptive as I could possibly be on the work order. We'll see. I'm not necessarily disappointed in their service since the problem doesn't reveal itself every single time, but I wish they woulda contacted me prior to returning it to me since whatever they did had absolutely no effect on the problem.

If it makes you feel any better, it's not just Taurus.

Member here OhShoot sent his Beretta Neos in for repair a few moths ago for a problem with the trigger(sort of?). IIRC they replaced the entire slide and sent it back. It didn't fix the problem so it's currently at Beretta again.

He had to pay shipping the first go-round. Keep us posted on what happens Bkelm

Guest bkelm18

Well... I'm done dealing with Taurus. They returned it to me after they "adjusted the timing" again. It over-rotated on the first trigger pull. I put on the work order to call me if they couldn't replicate the problem. They didn't call. So.... I sold it (yes the buyer knew what they were buying) at a deep discount and put the money towards a 3" SP101 which I should have gotten to begin with. I've been a happy Taurus customer for some time and was hoping my first experience with their CS would be good. Oh well, live and learn.

I have checked 3 or 4 of these Taurus revolvers that over rotate. I think the problem lies in the shallow "excessivley" angled cylinder lock notches. Compare the notches to the S&W. The function is the same in both guns and that particular process is almost identical in operation. I took one guy's gun, a Taurus .44 Mag Tracker blued, and took needle files to a couple of the notches, profiling them like a S&W, end of over rotating on those particular chambers. Intially I thought it was a short cylinder lock (the part that engages the cylinder from the bottom of the frame). I took a little material off the cylinder lock "bar" and a little up under the frame so that the curved lock engagement surface could fully engage the cylinder locks. Then I discovered the poorly cut cylinder notches. I've had 5 Taurus revolvers over the years. I had 3 from the '80s that worked well, one titanium .357 ported snubbie it worked but was too stupid to use for anything other than range toy and an 85. None of these guns had a problem functioning. However, I have seen enough problems and hear enough through my FFL I tell folks to get a used S&W or Ruger. If I had to guess I would say that their cylinder notches are not being cut well, and that may be due to poor/old tooling, and maybe even a lack of QC checks.

Guest bkelm18

Yeah, just from looking at it, I knew it had to be either the cylinder lock or possibly the notches. Even if Taurus had managed to fix it, I'm not sure I could have 100% trusted my life to it knowing that it had still had issues even after being back to the manufacturer twice. I'm very happy with the SP101 and it's easy to see just looking at it the craftsmanship and overall quality it excellent. And the cylinder locks up tight every single trigger pull. :)

Guest kirkosaurus

I just bought a used TCP that's already having problems. Looks like I'm gonna have to use Taurus's awesome customer service. :(

The first time I shot my new Taurus 66 revolver last month I had intermittent misfires using both 357 mag & 38 special ammo. Taurus CS told me this was covered under my lifetime warranty & had a Fed Ex truck sent to my house the next day for overnight express delivery to their facility in Miami for repair – all at no cost to me. They also told me that the repair should take 3-4 weeks. My only other experience with a firearms manufacturer was about 2 years ago when I had to return a Kel-Tec PF9 with a broken extractor to be repaired & it took almost 3 months to get the gun back. So I really didn’t know what to expect from Taurus.

However I was able to follow the progress on Taurus’ online repair status checker & saw where it arrived at their facility the next day & was awaiting repair. It remained in that status for several days & then suddenly on the 7th day it abruptly showed that repairs were finished & it had been handed back to Fed EX for return to me. The next day Fed Ex delivered the gun to my house & a quick trip to the range that afternoon showed that the problem was indeed fixed.

Now maybe I was just lucky or maybe this was merely a simple fix that could be done quickly, but as a first-time Taurus owner I am definitely pleased & impressed with the outcome. An 8-day turnaround out & back seems like pretty darn good customer service to me!

Just wanted to pass this along for what it’s worth. I sincerely hope your experience is the same or better.

Best regards, Bob