Failure to Feed in Glock 27 - please help

I just recently purchased a gently used Glock 27. I was told it had less than 50 rounds fired through it and it looks brand new. It came with two factory Glock magazines, one with a pearce +1 extension and one with a +2. I fired 80 rounds through it so far. During my shooting session today, I had a failure to feed twice, one in each magazine.....and with two different brands of cheap fmj 180 gr. bullets. The first time it happened, it was in the mag with the +2 extension and it was the last bullet.....the slide locked back like it was empty, but it had one more bullet in the mag......I manually brought the slide back and then the bullet fed into the chamber. The second time it happened it was in the +1 mag.....and it was my last three rounds that I loaded into it.......the slide was locked back, I put the mag in and pressed the button (please forgive me for not knowing the exact word for this "button" :D) for the slide to go forward and it didn't go....so once again I manually brought the slide back and it then fed into the chamber.

So, can any of you Glock experts on here tell me what might be wrong? And for all you Glock haters out there, please don't tell me I shouldn't have bought a Glock :D

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very odd. Glocks are generally very reliable. My problems with them are in other areas.

Since you don't seem to have problems with limp-wristing, I'd have to guess it has something to do with the extension magazines?

Maybe I've mis-read your post, but that is my guess.

If you have the original plates that go on the mags I would re-install them. Then give it a try a see what happens. I have a 27 with a pinkie extension - no +1 or +2. I suspect this is where your issue is. I have fed my 27 everything from very cheap stuff to the very good stuff. I have never had a jam. On my 23 I had installed the +2 extension and it did jam or ftf a few times - I had several mags, so I just set this one aside.

Guest tjbert47

I carry a 27 24/7 shoot it at the range regularly. The only problem I have had with it was with the extended magazines. Replaced them and no farther problems.

Tom in TN

Like I said.....I really like the extra groove to put my pinky finger....but if these extensions are going to cause failure to feeds.....I can live without them. I've shot over 10,000 rounds through a first generation Glock 17, and about 5000 through my Glock 23 with not one failure of any kind in either gun. These two failure to feeds today in my new G27 really have me bummed out. I want to start carrying this weapon as my primary carry gun.....but I need to be able to rely on it.

It sounds like you primarily are looking for the extra grip area. I have 3 or 4 of the Pearce grip extension that just replace the factory baseplate and do not add any capacity. I never had a problem with them I just never liked them. PM me your address and I will mail them to you if you want them.

Hi Tabby, I am glad to find out the extensions may cause a problem since I was thinking of getting them for my G26. I stopped at the gun store today to check on them but they were out but while I was there I did buy one of the Pearce grip extensions and it works beautifully, I need to get one more for the other magazine but I think you would be happy going that way.

Diane, I already ordered two new magazines and asked them to install the +1 extensions on them......too late to change my order now, so I guess I will try out the new ones when they arrive and see how they work. I talked to a Glock technical rep today before I ordered them and he recommended the pearce brand to me. Urse said he is going to mail me his pearce extensions with no extra capacity....so I think I will install them on the two mags that I had problems with today and see how they work. I was reading on the GlockTalk forum and I didn't find anyone on there that had problems with the plus capacity extensions.....so I don't know :D The new mags I ordered are fully metal lined and the ones that came with my gun are not....maybe there will be a difference with that ;) Something you would probably like for your G26 that I also ordered today is a Hogue Jr. grip. I have a Hogue grip on my G23 and I love the it.....the feel is really nice and it helps cushion the recoil too. You should check out Lonewolfdist.com.....they have them on there....along with a lot of other Glock accessories.

Guest jackdog

Failure to feed could be caused by the following.

Weak magazine spring

Limp wristing

magazine not fully seated in mag well

Off the top of my head thats about all I can think of.

Go here glockfaq.com/

bunch of great glock info

Failure to feed could be caused by the following.

Weak magazine spring

Limp wristing

magazine not fully seated in mag well

Off the top of my head thats about all I can think of.

Go here glockfaq.com/

bunch of great glock info

It sounds like limp wristing. However, I will be sending the extensions first of the week.

Guest kdgreen23

It is the extra capacity mags causing the ftf. I had the Exact problem so I replaced both of the mag plates with the pierce pinky extension with flat

plate and wallah! No more problems. My g27 would shoot rocks if they would

fire.

Guest Glockster27

I have extensions ( 0 to +2 Pierce and Glock OEM) installed on all 9 magazines for the G27 and have NEVER had any problems with them. :devil: It could either be limp wristing, weak magazine springs or bad followers.

Everyone that seems to have this problem automatically blames the extensions for the problem. I must be the 1 out of 1 million that doesn't have this problem. Go figure!!

The suspect mags need to be disassembled and inspected, since you don't know who installed the grip extensions. Make sure there is a mag insert--the small, flat black piece that goes between the spring and the baseplate. Some people leave these out when installing grip extenders. It shouldn't matter whether the mag ext. is a +0, +1, or +2--they should all run fine if they are Pierce. Also, as mentioned above, the mag follower could be an issue as well.

Guest Todd@CIS

Unless I'm reading your post wrong, you're have problems with premature "lock-back."

Three things cause this...

1. Thumb hitting the Slide Stop Lever during recoil (as GhostDog mentioned and the most common cause).

2. Broken Slide Stop Lever.

3. Bad Magazine Followers or bad interaction between the Slide Stop Lever, Follower and/or bullets.

Your mag extentions would not contribute to your "lock-back" problem...if anything, they could contribute to "failure-to-lock-back" or "failure-to-feed."

Edited by Todd@CIS

Ok, here's the latest on this issue. I took my G27 to Coal Creek Armory in Knoxville today and had it cleaned and inspected by a Glock Armorer. He said the gun looked great with no problems at all. He did not seem to think the magazines, extensions, or the mag followers were the issue, and he said the mag springs were fine. He said what several of you have said already......probably either limp wristing or my thumb accidentally hitting/bumping the slide stop lever. He also said that when I put in a fresh magazine with the slide locked back, that I shouldn't press the slide stop lever to chamber the round......I should "slingshot" the slide by pulling back all the way and letting go. I have always used the previous method in both my Glock 17 and my Glock 23 with no problems ever.......but maybe with this smaller gun it's different? :D I brought up the question of whether to replace the mag followers and he said he thought they were fine. So, I think I will try (and hope I don't screw up :eek:) to disassemble the mags to see if that smaller baseplate is in there...and clean them while I am at it. Then I will just go put some more rounds through it and see what happens. If I still have a problem, I will wait and try the new mags I ordered and see if that makes a difference. Thanks to everyone for the input! :)

my 33 did this very same thing a time or two right when i first bought it. my problem was from limp wristing the weapon. i changed my grip and all is good. all 4 of my mags have extentions. 2 of them have hte +1 and the 2 new ones i just bought online last week have the +2 that i had to install myself. that took about a minute to do.

the only other quirk i have had with the 33 was the last time i was out shooting, me and the Gf were taking 2 clip turns. i have been working on her with her grip, as the 33 is a monster for recoil. she was limmp wristing it so bad that the recoil of the slide actually made the slide lock retention pin slide to the right side inside the weapon, letting the retention part of the spring on the internal side of the run go limp, therefore failing to keep the slide lock down. it would fire a round and lock open. would not close by manually racking, but pressing the slide release , it would close and fire then hang back open. it was the damnest thing and i didnt know what was wrong with it till i got it home and started taking it apart to see what had broken. realigned the spring and reset pin and all has been good.

these smaller glocks are bad for having these little annoying characteristics. a police officer that works with me part time helped me alot with my shooting stance, and since then, my firearm problems related to weapon holding have gone away.