Tsunami in Japan

Guest nicemac

Guest mikedwood

'Military flying in US Navy pumping equipment in a last ditch effort to cool those rods in the nuke plant. Flying out of Yokota Air Base. Wish us luck!'

Good Luck Guys!!!

I have to agree with Bkelm18, tiny island, 125 million people and the #3 economy* in the world, Japan had no choice. It's a different mindset over there. They want to be as good as they can be not as mediocre.

*Until recently Japan was the number 2 economy but was overtaken by China who has 10 times more people and 25 times more land mass. Japan is 145,920 square miles. China is 3,705,407 square miles. So Japan is roughly the same size as Montana but spread out through different islands.

Edited by mikedwood
  • Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

I think what this really shows is that it is completely impossible to prepare for everything. The most safeguarded reactor with the most redundant safety systems can fail given the right scenarios. Mother Nature will always win. I truly give my hat off to the workers returning to the plants, receiving by some estimates a lethal dose of radiation in the hopes of averting a disaster of epic proportions. As I said earlier, if you have containment and if you have a source of water to cool the cores, you've got it made. Lose either or both, you're in trouble.

All:_______________

RE: The "spent fuel rod "swimming pool blowing upl" comments in the InfoWars article. Take the time to look at the link in post #68 and follow the link to the fuel pool discussion. The fuel pits are evidently in tact. They are built to withstand earthquates and explosions. The problem is that there is no power or water on hand for the pool cooling (...same problem with the reactor....) and the guys are pumping water in to cool them down. Water is simply evaporating out of them both (...the reactor and the fuel pits...).

The hydrogen explosions were evidently above the fuel pit area. As long as the TEPCO guys are able to add water to the fuel pits (...think giant swimming pools here...) the spent fuel rods will stay at a reasonable temperature. They may be damaged from heat; but now that aint a big deal considering the overall damage done to the plants from this catastrophe. The TEPCO plant guys are (...and have been....) pumping pumping water into both the reactor suppression chamber(s) and the fuel pits.

leroy

Edited by leroy
spelling
Guest Lester Weevils
It would be nice for Obama and the family to stay in Rio the rest of his term.

At least for awhile the high security cavalcade of VIP SUV's will be inconveniencing drivers in Rio rather than USA.

Guest 6.8 AR

Oh, goodness. That reminds me of the Al Gore roadblocks in Nashville. Always while I'm on my way to work.

I hope they enjoy them down there.

Guest 6.8 AR

However this tragedy ends up in Japan, it will be because they did what had to be done. They are a

highly advanced country and have taken precautionary measures to minimize loss of life. compare it to the

Christmas tsunami in the Indian Ocean that killed 250,000 people. Japan is used to this happening and

learns from these things every time. You can't prepare for something you don't know about, but they

have done quite well, so far.

I dare say that if this happened off the left coast of our country, we wouldn't fair so well. It's in the Ring

of Fire, also, complete with reactors.

I won't second guess about the possibility of a meltdown, but I do understand the engineering and

manufacturing of a nuclear plant is so precise and so studied a process that when you look at a risk/

benefit ratio, their benefits outweigh the risks and when something like this happens all the fleas

come out and scream about terrible flaws that "could" have been prevented to the point that I don't

won't to hear about it. The news, including Fox, is reporting stuff that is just not necessarily true and

is speculation, except for events that have actually taken place. There are the "green" crowd reporting

phony information and propaganda that is skewing a lot of peoples thoughts about this. The left is

using this as another propaganda tool for their anti-nuclear crowd. The Center for American Progress

is producing phony articles about this. The Tides Foundation is doing the same. Just pay attention to

what you believe to be a news source before you take it to be fact. The same could be said for the BP

oil spill and look where that got us.

Guest bkelm18
However this tragedy ends up in Japan, it will be because they did what had to be done. They are a

highly advanced country and have taken precautionary measures to minimize loss of life. compare it to the

Christmas tsunami in the Indian Ocean that killed 250,000 people. Japan is used to this happening and

learns from these things every time. You can't prepare for something you don't know about, but they

have done quite well, so far.

I dare say that if this happened off the left coast of our country, we wouldn't fair so well. It's in the Ring

of Fire, also, complete with reactors.

I won't second guess about the possibility of a meltdown, but I do understand the engineering and

manufacturing of a nuclear plant is so precise and so studied a process that when you look at a risk/

benefit ratio, their benefits outweigh the risks and when something like this happens all the fleas

come out and scream about terrible flaws that "could" have been prevented to the point that I don't

won't to hear about it. The news, including Fox, is reporting stuff that is just not necessarily true and

is speculation, except for events that have actually taken place. There are the "green" crowd reporting

phony information and propaganda that is skewing a lot of peoples thoughts about this. The left is

using this as another propaganda tool for their anti-nuclear crowd. The Center for American Progress

is producing phony articles about this. The Tides Foundation is doing the same. Just pay attention to

what you believe to be a news source before you take it to be fact. The same could be said for the BP

oil spill and look where that got us.

Very well said.

Guest mikedwood

Well said as well,

But I'm of the view currently that Tokyo has 12 million people and the Japanese government is sugar coating it big time. There are several million plus population cities close, and I think they know they can't handle the evacuation right now due to the quake and tsumani. Apparently they are having problems taking care of the ones they have evacuated.

I think the US government is more leaning towards my view as well or I don't think we would have sent a spy plane over the area earlier today. Also the US is putting up more radiation detectors along the west coast.

I think the Japanese have done an admirable job dealing the triple play handed to them so far but I think the nuke deal isn't as rosy they want us to believe. Plus it's putting a huge hamper on some of the rescue efforts and other countries coming in to help.

Guest bkelm18
Well said as well,

But I'm of the view currently that Tokyo has 12 million people and the Japanese government is sugar coating it big time. There are several million plus population cities close, and I think they know they can't handle the evacuation right now due to the quake and tsumani. Apparently they are having problems taking care of the ones they have evacuated.

I think the US government is more leaning towards my view as well or I don't think we would have sent a spy plane over the area earlier today. Also the US is putting up more radiation detectors along the west coast.

I think the Japanese have done an admirable job dealing the triple play handed to them so far but I think the nuke deal isn't as rosy they want us to believe. Plus it's putting a huge hamper on some of the rescue efforts and other countries coming in to help.

Yeah they've been handed the raw end of the deal any way you look at it. Even though really there's zero threat of any contamination reaching the west cost, potassium iodide tablet sales have gone through the roof with most of it going to folks on the west coast.

Guest mikedwood
Yeah they've been handed the raw end of the deal any way you look at it. Even though really there's zero threat of any contamination reaching the west cost, potassium iodide tablet sales have gone through the roof with most of it going to folks on the west coast.

Guess it makes them feel safe? Radioactive iodine is a short lifer isn't it? I mean unless it caught a heck of a wind it would be gone before it got here anyway.

I don't know if anything will get to the west coast or not. Any little bit will cause a freakout.

I'd say the area around the plant is toast for ahwhile and Japan better make some good long range plans for cancer treatment over the next 30 or 40 years. Watch them develop a cure in a few years.

Guest bkelm18
Guess it makes them feel safe? Radioactive iodine is a short lifer isn't it? I mean unless it caught a heck of a wind it would be gone before it got here anyway.

I don't know if anything will get to the west coast or not. Any little bit will cause a freakout.

I'd say the area around the plant is toast for ahwhile and Japan better make some good long range plans for cancer treatment over the next 30 or 40 years. Watch them develop a cure in a few years.

Iodine-131 has a half life of about 8 days. I believe it is recommended that you take KI tablets for at least 2 weeks following exposure. I doubt anything will reach the US coast. Alaska MAYBE though I don't know what the wind currents are like. You are right though, if this situation really goes "Chernobyl", they'll have issues for quite sometime.

Guest bkelm18

Another thing of interest, is that even in this time of disaster, the people of Japan remain calm and collected. Think back to Katrina. There was mass looting. There were roving gangs with weapons. Murders... etc etc. None of that is happening there. You got to admire that. They really have an "Others before self" mentality over there.

Another thing of interest, is that even in this time of disaster, the people of Japan remain calm and collected. Think back to Katrina. There was mass looting. There were roving gangs with weapons. Murders... etc etc. None of that is happening there. You got to admire that. They really have an "Others before self" mentality over there.

I was just thinking the same thing. It's amazing how far behind our country has fallen. So many people only care for themselves and have no values in there life. It really is amazing how japan has reacted to this. They have handled it alot better then we would have.

Guest mikedwood

To the Japanese it's all about Japan. That little island is everything to them and to be Japanese is the greatest honor. Failure is not an option. It's a give a 110% mindset. They are Japanese in heart and race.

All:_________________

Here is an update on the fuel pool situation that all the talking heads and experts are wringing their hands about: Attempts to refill fuel ponds. I think its just another extremely dangerous (...for those fixing these problems...) and serious problem for these worn out techincians and others to work on. Let's keep sending up the prayers that these heroes can get this back under control and keep the fuel pits flooded and water in the reactors. I also read the TEPCO has almost completed an emergency power line back to the plants. If they get that finished, the plant guys can crank up the big pumps and plant systems and furnish all the water they need to keep everything calmed down.

leroy

Guest db99wj
All:_________________

Here is an update on the fuel pool situation that all the talking heads and experts are wringing their hands about: Attempts to refill fuel ponds. I think its just another extremely dangerous (...for those fixing these problems...) and serious problem for these worn out techincians and others to work on. Let's keep sending up the prayers that these heroes can get this back under control and keep the fuel pits flooded and water in the reactors. I also read the TEPCO has almost completed an emergency power line back to the plants. If they get that finished, the plant guys can crank up the big pumps and plant systems and furnish all the water they need to keep everything calmed down.

leroy

So the pumper trucks, helicopters spraying and dropping water and all that has been done so far is a bandaid fix until the power can be restored. That will be the ultimate fix. Well God help them stay strong until that happens.

....So the pumper trucks, helicopters spraying and dropping water and all that has been done so far is a bandaid fix until the power can be restored. That will be the ultimate fix. Well God help them stay strong until that happens. ....

Yup, you are exactly right. If they can get power to the plant (....and it takes a bunch....). They can crank up all the cooling systems, start making clean make-up water for both the reactor and the fuel pits and get everything back under control using the existing plant systems. That will make life lots easier for them.

There are some who say the fuel in the fuel pits has been uncovered. Check this link for a great discussion of this: http://bravenewclimate.com/2011/03/17/fukushima-redux-design-basis-godzilla/.

There is also a good discussion of the spent fuel problem here: http://reindeerflotilla.wordpress.com/2011/03/16/fukushima-redux/

leroy

Edited by leroy

Assuming everything is working properly post earthquake, tsunami and explosions...

Based on how everything that could go wrong has to this point, I suspect power to the plants will be met with some other issues.

...Assuming everything is working properly post earthquake, tsunami and explosions...

Based on how everything that could go wrong has to this point, I suspect power to the plants will be met with some other issues. ...

The good thing about getting power back is that all the systems have backup systems (...they call them redundant systems...) that allow for working around problems with the "main systems". I understand the concern about "assuming everyting is working properly" -- it has probably sustained some damage; but it's a lot easier to fix and work around when the plant has power.

leroy