Tsunami in Japan

Guest nicemac

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils

A tragedy for sure. Hope they can keep the nuclear power plants out of trouble. News said some plants are shut down but the fuel is still hot and they are having problems getting enough power to run the coolant pumps.

One of the hounds is a storm predictor. A good 20 minutes before a storm he gets under my feet and hides under the desk. That is storm specific behavior. If the weather gets real bad he will abandon my protection and hide in the basement. A wise human would probably follow him down there. :confused:

Weather was clear last night, not even wind, but about 8 p he took up his station under the desk. I checked weather.com at the time to see if he was responding to local weather, but nothing.

The earthquake was 7:46p HST, 12.46a EST. That is a 4 hour offset between the dawg storm alert and the earthquake. Probably not correlated in time close enough to make any sense. Dog probably could not sense something on the other side of the world four hours ahead of time. Odd coincidence, though. He doesn't cower under the desk except for storms.

Guest nicemac

We have a software engineering team here from Japan working on new software for us. They are from Sendai(the city hit hardest). They have not been able to reach any family or friends back home this morning.

Guest db99wj
I've got family in Okinawa and some of the smaller islands to the south. I hope and pray they are all ok.

My cousin is stationed in Okinawa and said on Facebook that "all is good here in Okinawa, no tsunami, earthquake. Mainland different story".

Hope this helps.

My cousin is stationed in Okinawa and said on Facebook that "all is good here in Okinawa, no tsunami, earthquake. Mainland different story".

Hope this helps.

That's great news. My mom's been trying all day to reach anyone. She's from Kume Jima and has lots of family on Okinawa. Thanks a bunch.

-southernasylum

Japan isn't exactly somewhere that earthquakes aren't common.

Common in Kali, too, but not 8.9. This was 130 miles off coast from nearest landfall in Japan.

If this had happened on land there (or Kali), wow. 150 mile long by 50 mile wide gash of total destruction, probably approaching 100% fatality rate, not to mention the other destruction for many miles beyond those parameters. Would definitely qualify as The Big One.

- OS

Guest Revelator

In that video you can clearly see cars on the road, all trying to get to safety. I wonder if any of them made it. If the road went in a straight line away from the coast then I think they'd have a chance, but if not... I'm pretty sure that at one point you can see a moving car get overtaken by the surge. Some of the pictures I've seen on the net today look like the end of the world. Like something out of Revelations, speaking of the Bible.

In that video you can clearly see cars on the road, all trying to get to safety. I wonder if any of them made it. If the road went in a straight line away from the coast then I think they'd have a chance, but if not... I'm pretty sure that at one point you can see a moving car get overtaken by the surge.....

One thing I'm sick of hearing misrepresented though: over and over "waves traveling at 500 miles per hour, slamming into..." .

They only travel at speeds like that at sea; as they reach shore they become more like 25 mph or less.

Not to minimize the catastrophe, but the news doesn't need to enhance it with voodoo science either.

- OS

One thing I'm sick of hearing misrepresented though: over and over "waves traveling at 500 miles per hour, slamming into..." .

They only travel at speeds like that at sea; as they reach shore they become more like 25 mph or less.

Not to minimize the catastrophe, but the news doesn't need to enhance it with voodoo science either.

- OS

very true.

I heard about this all day. I am just now getting a chance to look at some of the video's

I hate to see things like this.

very true.

I heard about this all day. I am just now getting a chance to look at some of the video's

I hate to see things like this.

I was watching it late last night, seeing the tsunami videos breaks youe heart knowing that thousands are dying.

Now I heard that one of their nuclear plants is probably melting down.