Took a long lunch today...

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

... and headed to the range to try out some different handguns. Gave it a go with an M&P9, Ruger SR9, Glock 19, and a Sig p250. All were chambered in 9mm, and all were close enough to the same size/weight, despite the fact that some of them purport to be compact.

Prior to today, I have never shot any of those handguns, or any other handguns in their families. Plan was to run 20 rounds through each, then to put an additional 20 through my favorite. All shots were taken in sets of 10 at 7 yards (no pictures, just saying) with 1 second or less between them. I am, by no accounts, a particularly good shot. Not terrible, but I consider myself fairly average.

Here are my results and completely subjective opinions:

M&P9 - Ergonomics were good. Had previously handled one at my LGS, so that was not a real surprise. Felt good while firing. Trigger was much better than anticipated. Not sure if it's just because it was a rental, a good example, or if I just had low expectations, but I had no problems with it. Weight was nice, and recoil wasn't bad at all. Shot about a 4"-5" group after 20 rounds, with one flier about 5" away from the pack and low. It came in the first shots. The main group was made up of a few smaller little groupings of 1"-1.5", spaced about 1"-2" away from one another. Overall experience was enjoyable.

Glock 19 - Next up was the Glock. I have handled a few Glocks, and have never been impressed with their ergonomics. The angle just seems awkward for me. Trigger was fine, and recoil was subjectively softer than the M&P, but my grouping was not as good. Much more of a shotgun-blast pattern around a 6" circle with probably 3 fliers - all high. Felt good to shoot, but I evidently had a lot more difficulty getting back on target for follow-up shots.

Ruger SR9 - Followed up the Glock with the Ruger. Shot about a 3" group with only one flier (if you can call it that) about 1.5"-2" to the right. Holding this thing was nothing special, and I didn't expect to like it as much as I did, but it was the best first-pass shooting I did, and it felt good doing it. Recoil felt subjectively about the same as the M&P, and wasn't bad at all. If I weren't so interested in eliminating safeties from my guns, I would strongly consider picking one of these up. Relatively thin, even in the non-compact version, and I shot it well. Wouldn't have any problems recommending that others give them a shot, though my experience is obviously very limited.

Sig p250 - This one was a last minute pick, and I ended up regretting it a bit. Felt nice and solid in the hand, but I did not shoot it well. Noticeably worse than the Glock in terms of "grouping." Recoil also felt strange to me. Not that there was a lot of it, but it seemed almost slow. Like I could feel the slide moving back and then forward again in separate movements, rather than in one single event. It seemed like I could also feel the slide moving on the rails. I have experienced this once or twice before when switching to my Beretta after shooting my Kahr. It's an odd feeling. Like everything's in slow motion. I guess it's just more noticeable when switching to something heavier after shooting something snappier, though I wouldn't say any of what I had been shooting before was snappy. I also experiences a FTF because of a light strike on round 9. Reloaded and tried again. Another light strike. Replaced round, fired 9 and 10 without incident. Decided not to put another 10 through it.

Went back to the M&P for my final 30 rounds. Started with the one which wouldn't fire out of the Sig, and it went through no problem. Second set of 20 tightened up a bit from the first set to about 4" with no fliers. Shot my last set of 10 with about half a second between eat shot, and had a group that was about 2" wide, but trailed consistently straight down. Guess I was pushing down too much trying to get back on target quickly. Must be because I'm used to the extra recoil from my little Kahr.

Overall it was a great little lunchtime trip. Leaning very heavily towards picking up an M&P or two now, really enjoyed the Ruger, and disliked the Glock less than expected. Only real bummer was the Sig, but I suspect most of its problems were in how I was shooting it (not every gun works for every person) and how poorly it probably gets treated as a rental.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 250 is a horrible gun in my opinion. I've shot all of the guns you list above and add an XD9 in there as well. The Ruger is my choice for EDC but safeties don't bother me. The XD9 comes in a close second followed by the M&P and then the glock. I would recommend any of those to anyone looking for a great duty weapon. The sig on the other hand, I wouldn't recommend to ANYONE!!!

I have shot the XD9sc in the past (before getting my Kahr), and found it to be enjoyable. I have no doubt the 4" or 5" model would be equally nice to shoot. From what I remember, I would put it about on par with the M&P. Don't know which I would prefer, but I bet they would be close in my book.

As for the Ruger - you've got yourself a good one. Definitely a nice gun. Fun to shoot, nice size and weight, the safety has a good positive feel to it. For a gun with a traditional safety, I don't see how you could go wrong with it. Definitely felt more natural for me to operate than the safety on the Beretta.

And the Sig. Oh, the Sig... I had been led to believe that they made a really nice product, and it certainly felt good in my hand. It just wasn't right for me. Perhaps I would have been better off trying the p229?

Also, ALL BENDER THREAD.

I got to shoot a M&P Pro w/5 inch barrel in 9 mm last weekend. It's trigger was sweet. I'd love to have one, but I have 2 service model XDs. I really want a XD 45 tactical.

I have not gotten a chance to handle the Pro at all, but they did have the M&P9L at the LGS when I was there last week. Seemed really nice. They also had the M&P9 VTAC, which I found to be quite interesting. Not sure how practical it would be in real life, but I like the idea. I'm also not sure how I feel about the color. The particular brown they use is a bit off-putting. I would much prefer something like an OD green.

Why does the M&P Pro ($669) have a lower MSRP than a 9L ($758)?

No idea, but that is a huge difference. The 9L I saw was lower than either of those prices (not that surprising), but I don't know why there is so much difference. I'm pretty sure night sights aren't standard on the 9L or anything, and there aren't that many differences between the two...

Did you "ride the reset", or let your trigger finger all the way out between shots? I only ask because it makes the length of reset more important if you ride the reset.

Full reset between shots. Which do you think would do better or worse riding the reset?

Guest nashvegas
And the Sig. Oh, the Sig... I had been led to believe that they made a really nice product, and it certainly felt good in my hand. It just wasn't right for me. Perhaps I would have been better off trying the p229?

You would definitely have better off with a 229 or 226. The 250 is not a good representation of a Sig.

You would definitely have better off with a 229 or 226. The 250 is not a good representation of a Sig.

Bummer. Guess I'll know better next time.

I have shot the XD9sc in the past (before getting my Kahr), and found it to be enjoyable. I have no doubt the 4" or 5" model would be equally nice to shoot. From what I remember, I would put it about on par with the M&P. Don't know which I would prefer, but I bet they would be close in my book.

As for the Ruger - you've got yourself a good one. Definitely a nice gun. Fun to shoot, nice size and weight, the safety has a good positive feel to it. For a gun with a traditional safety, I don't see how you could go wrong with it. Definitely felt more natural for me to operate than the safety on the Beretta.

Also, ALL BENDER THREAD.

Yes you would have been better off with a 229. I think its the 250s modular design that makes it so horrible to shoot. BENDER RULES!

Capbyrd loves Rugers. I think he has a tatoo :D

Not yet but I maybe I should go get one. Maybe Ruger would pay me for it. haha

Guest The Highlander

Riding the reset, I think (my opinion only!) that the Glocks would shine there. Only my experience, and I shoot Glocks a lot, so I'm used to them.

On the other hand, my SR9 is SUPERB in every respect. And I also like SIG's, but mine are either the 220 Elite (mid-level gun) or a 239. No experience with the 250, I've heard good and bad though I like the concept.

Very little experience with the M&P, but I wasn't impressed. Another Glock copy like the Sigma, only prettier. Not that that makes it a bad gun by any means.

If I could only have one of the above, I'd be hard pressed to go between my G17 and my SR9. The Glock might get the nod based on all the toys I have for Glocks, and their reliability. But for ergonomics, the SR9 wins hands down.

If I included all the 9mm's though, my Springfield EMP and a SIG 210 might just beat them all, but the Springer is two or three times the price what all the ones you shot cost, and the 210 about 4-5 times the price.

Edited by The Highlander

I wanted to like the Glock. Tried to give it a fair shake and see how it shot for me, even though I didn't think the angle would work for me. In the end, though, the grouping spoke for itself. As a result, I'm quite pleased that there are Glock copies out there with different grip angles. Life would be easier if I didn't have to find a good alternative to them, though.

I will have to give some other Sigs a shot one of these days. Don't want to count them out entirely if i just chose a poor representative of the breed. Also need to spend some time with some 1911 variants, I think.

If you can spend a little more money, check out an HK P30

Does it have a compact cousin of some sort? Part of the idea would be to eventually get a full size and a compact that have all the same levers and switches, have the same ergonomics, and have the same feel while shooting.

Does it have a compact cousin of some sort? Part of the idea would be to eventually get a full size and a compact that have all the same levers and switches, have the same ergonomics, and have the same feel while shooting.

HK P2000 and P2000SK would be the smaller cousins. Not as ergonomic as the P30 but very comfortable.

Sorry, double tap. I think Glock has the shortest stock reset. Competition is good however. I wouldn't force something that's unnatural if the grip angle does't work for you.

That was pretty much my thought. I figured I would give the Glock a chance to see if I could perform with it despite my dislike for the angles. I ran it under the same conditions I ran everything else. I did not perform as well with it as I did with other guns. I think I gave everything a fair shot. I did note that the recoil felt less on the Glock, a gun I didn't expect to care for shot very well for me, and a gun I expected to like quite a bit was so bad I stopped shooting it.

I'm not a great shot, though hopefully I will continue to improve with practice. I'm sure I could train myself to adjust for the differences in the Glock, but why handicap myself if there are similar products that work better for me? I would be in a sad state if Glock had no competitors...