That loud popping noise was my cherry: first 1911 detail strip

Guest peacexxl

Guest peacexxl

I've had my PT1911 for a little over a year and since I'm on call for work and can't go out to do much, I figured "hey, why not take this thing apart and see what happens".

First impression, this thing is filthy, there is tons of gunk and grime in here. Second impression is that it wasn't as scary as I thought although I haven't tried reassembly yet.

PROBLEM #1: I can't get the firing pin stop to move. I depressed the plunger and pushed the pin in passed the stop but the stop will not slide down out of the way.

Got it out. New flash, steel is strong and hard.

Problem #2: The extractor doesn't really want to come out. Not as comfortable tapping on this. Don't want to damage the extractor. How easily should it come out?

Any thoughts or ideas (other than put it back together, sell it and save up for a Kimber because Taurus is a POS)

Edited by peacexxl
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does it work? I mean, if it works, and you don't have to take the extractor out, do the best you can without taking it out? I have had some luck using kroil on stuck parts, and on occasion, dental floss (the ribbon kind) will slip in to knock out crud & loosen a piece. You can also try to wiggle it back and forth to loosen it. I dunno how easy it should be on that gun, but it seems like it should just come on out. Maybe look online to see if there is a trick to it, sometimes a piece is held by something you cannot see and there is a way to get it out that isnt obvious.

Guest 10mm4me

Well, you are partly correct, it is a Taurus and is therefore by definition a POS. If it runs fine, if you are not happy with it, I would def. sell, trade and buy something you like.

Don't get rid of your Taurus if you like it. I know 3 friends that have them. All use them hard, one doesn't clean anything and no problems. He has shot about 900 rds; 600 over 4 days and it's still ticking. They make good guns. They're just not 'designer' brand.

To get the extractor out pry it from the rear where the firing pin stop slid into it. It should come out with some resistance. I use a small screwdriver most times but I have used the firing pin in a pinch without issue.

As far as selling, if it shoots and you shoot it well keep it and save for your Kimber. When you have enough for the Kimber then buy it but I wouldn't sell the Taurus (I actually don't like Taurus). Then after that use and abuse the Taurus for practice to keep the Kimber in shape.

Dolomite

Guest Aces&8s
As far as selling, if it shoots and you shoot it well keep it and save for your Kimber. When you have enough for the Kimber then buy it but I wouldn't sell the Taurus (I actually don't like Taurus). Then after that use and abuse the Taurus for practice to keep the Kimber in shape.

Dolomite

+1 to this!! If the gun functions well and you shoot it well, then why sell it? Save up for the Kimber, and buy it when you can, but keep the Taurus 'cause you might need something reliable to fall back on in case you experience the infamous Kimber break-in period.

I have known several people who had Tauri, some who had bad ones, but those who had good ones had good ones.

As far as getting your extractor out, odds are you will need to clear the hook of the extractor from the breech face. So I take an allen wrench or a punch and clear the hook from the breech face while at the same time pushing it back. Once you clear the breech face you can then remove it from the rear as Dolomite suggested and there will be very little resistance.

I have to trip the hook on my extractors to get them started in the extractor tunnel easy to do..use a shell casing and slide up as if it was feeding a round while you have the extractor as far back as possible,.this usually works for me..

I would suggest a brass punch instead of a steel one since sometimes the hooks are a bit thin... actually broke one once... that is when I learned to fit extractors and how they really work..

John

Guest peacexxl

Just for clarification, I love all 3 of my Taurii. I just wanted to head of the naysayers. The take down was initiated partially out of boredome, a little bit of curiousity, and moreso the fact that I am a technician by trade and in general mindset which means eventually, I'm gonna want to figure our how sh*t works.

Bad news is I did manage to break the extractor. Goodnews is Midway USA has bullet proof SS extractors, safties, triggers, and a few other bobbles to pretty this bad boy up. Could I have been a little more gentle in freeing the extractor from the slide? Yes. But then could I have honestly told my wife that I NEED some new parts for my 45? Well yes but we have different definitions of the word need. She doesn't think I need a couple of revolvers and long guns to round our my collections and I know that no one needs however many pair of black boots she has (I just know its more than 3).

How exactly did you break the extractor while removing it?

I have removed extractors on the magnatude of hundreds of times and never broke one. As a matter of fact every cleaning includes removing the extractor to inspect it. Could just be Taurus quality parts too because I always use quality extractors in my guns.

Dolomite

Dolomite,.. the hook broke on mine I suspect it was a few factors

Probably always forced in and out by previous owner and "reshaped" by someone who didn't know what one should look like and the edge that engaged the case rim was beveled to a sharp edge so it was very thin.. joys of used 1911's

Had the pleasure of shooting with the guns previous owner at a match shortly after I purchased the pistol.. and witnessed him "going hot" by locking the slide back,dropping a round into the chamber and tripping the slide stop..then inserting a magazine.. I'm sure that didn't help the extractor nose at all...

John

of course I expect somebody to chime in and praise the AFTEC extractor soon. saying that it would avoid all these problems...

Edited by LngRngShtr
AFTEC

Concur with your assesment of the previous owner's loading methods probably taking some life out of extractor.

How'd the rest of the detail strip go? Personally, I love learning how different guns come apart and go together. (Yes, I've launched a few springs.) I consider the stock 1911 one of the easiest to strip, you don't even need tools.

Well, you are partly correct, it is a Taurus and is therefore by definition a POS. If it runs fine, if you are not happy with it, I would def. sell, trade and buy something you like.

So did you have anything of value to add or are you just here to poo-poo others' choice of guns? If the latter please feel free to refrain in the future. I know you only carry Ed Brown and Les Bear $25,000 1911's but there are other that either haven't hit the lottery yet or are more frugal with what income they have. Whatever their reason it doesn't make you smarter.

Concur with your assesment of the previous owner's loading methods probably taking some life out of extractor.

How'd the rest of the detail strip go? Personally, I love learning how different guns come apart and go together. (Yes, I've launched a few springs.) I consider the stock 1911 one of the easiest to strip, you don't even need tools.

Doh! Ive done that a time or 2, not often, didnt think about it doing damage. Mental note added, use only in actual emergency.

Yeah, especially on a 1911 you should not drop the slide on a loaded round. It definitely causes a lot of stress on the extractor. On some of the pistols with a spring loaded extractor, like a Glock, it isn't really an issue but it will definitely hurt 1911's if done repeatedly.

Something else, never release the slide using the slide release on an empty chamber and I think releasing the slide on a loaded round would do the same, maybe without as much vigor but still not good. The process of stripping the round from the mag through loading it is sort of a cushion or buffer if you will that slows the slide down enough to keep it from slamming home with too much force. Releasing the slide using the slide release can cause stress on the link pin as well as the the link itself when dropping the slide on an empty chamber repeatedly. It may not be as much of an issue on know quality guns but some of the budget guns will probably break a link pin, link itself or elongate the link if done a lot. There are some that have said dropping the slide this way can also mess up the sear nose. I don't know because I never drop the slide on an empty chamber using the slide release.

Dolomite

Guest FiddleDog

I remember the first time I detail stripped a 1911...definitely had to walk into the gun shop with head hung low carrying a bag-o-gun that used to be a fully functioning firearm....I think that it happens to everyone when they detail strip their 1911 at least once.