Brown bear and Silver bear

Guest simboden

Guest simboden

So, whenever this brand comes up, it always seems that there are people on both sides swearing one way or the other about whether it's dirty or not. So had to test it out for myself.

YMMV, but today, with my loads gotta say it seemed pretty dirty on my gun and hands. Thought it was a little smokey at first, but my S&B 9mm seemed comparable.

I had a box of each FMJ Brown, FMJ Silver, and HP Silver in 9mm Makarov from a CZ 82. And after that (and ~150 rounds 9mm), my hands were "sooty" enough that I wiped them off on the paper target at the end.

But since the Mak's price/round was the same as the 9mm (instead of close to double as I often see it) I'll survive.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

Cleanliness is irrelevant to me since I clean after every range outing. I shoot Brown/Silver Bear a lot since it is generally cheapest.

It depends on the caliber some too. I have not seen a lot of buildup in my makarov with it, but the brown stinks on an indoor range and the silver did not. S&B is also cheap commie ammo.... its on par with the bear but slightly better in brass cases that can usually be reloaded (at twice the price). To compare it you would have to shoot some of the expensive, clean mak ammo, which costs too much to bother with.

The mak ammo is probably some of their best though, try it in 9mm against US made 9mm sometime. Most of the folks that say it is dirty are shooting 223 or 9mm, from what I have seen, while most mak users praise the stuff.

If shooting Brown Bear or Silver helps you spend more time at the range....shoot it. Cleaning your gun is a small price to pay. I shoot a bunch of 223 and never had any issues. Reliable and good accuracy. The US used a lot of steel case ammo in WWII and the 45's it was used in still work today. Now Hornady is making steel cased ammo.

I'd say most folks in the Czech Republic would resent that comment.

Sellier & Bellot is also one of the oldest companies in the world.

- OS

You are correct, and CZ makes some darn fine firearms! No offense intended, was thinking about my makarov & the soviet empire. And no offense to S&B either, I *like* their ammo and have shot thousands of rounds of it -- I appreciate low cost products that work, and if its dirty, well the mak is easy to clean =)

I don't like either one. I can load better than either one, even using salvaged components:)

†Amen†!!!!

I've never seen any steel cased stuff shoot HALF as accurate, reliable, or clean as what I load; And no matter how cheap they make it, I can load it cheaper.

†Amen†!!!!

I've never seen any steel cased stuff shoot HALF as accurate, reliable, or clean as what I load; And no matter how cheap they make it, I can load it cheaper.

Have you seen any brass factory that is as good as your home-loads at the same prices? Its not the steel, its not the nasty powder, its just the mass production effect, same as how anything made by hand is better than mass produced, if the hand-maker is skilled.

Quality is actually a side effect, fringe benefit if you will. I started loading 9x19 strictly for the economy of it. At just under $60/K there's not a manufacturer out there that can compete.

...But that is all a bit off topic.

I have shot a lot of X39 Brown Bear in the SKS. It seems accurate and reliable. Can't say that I ever had trouble with it. If the price is right I would buy the heck out of it.

I always get a kick out of "dirty ammo" comments. I have yet to see any clean ammo, LOL. It is all dirty.

Guest simboden
If shooting Brown Bear or Silver helps you spend more time at the range....shoot it. Cleaning your gun is a small price to pay. I shoot a bunch of 223 and never had any issues. Reliable and good accuracy. The US used a lot of steel case ammo in WWII and the 45's it was used in still work today. Now Hornady is making steel cased ammo.

I love cleaning my guns, sometimes I want to clean them even if I haven't been able to shoot in a while, you know, just for the quality time. Although, I meant to use this trip as a teaching opportunity to show the little lady how to clean 'em.

I always get a kick out of "dirty ammo" comments. I have yet to see any clean ammo, LOL. It is all dirty.

Mike, you're right of course, it's all dirty. BUT, (just for example)Fire a couple hundred rounds of Hornady TAP through a clean AR and an equal amount of Russian made (take your pick) stuff. There's a noticeable difference. When I bought my first XD9 in 2002-2003 (can't remember) The only thing I shot was Wolf. It looked like doodoo after a 4 or 5 hundred round day at the range. It still gets nasty after a day of shooting, but it's noticeably less.

I think Academy Sports Monarch brand is worse than Brown Bear. I've shot it in both 9X18 and 9X19.

Unless something has changed (don't think so)...

Russian Monarch is made by Barnaul (same as Brown Bear).

Serbian Monarch is made by Prvi Partisan.

I've shot a ton of Brown Bear in 7.62x39, .223, and 9mm and a bunch of Silver Bear in 5.45x39.

Zero problems and it's my preferred practice ammo when I'm buying it.

Edited by TN-popo