M&P Thumb Safety removal

I just got an awesome trade . I got a S&W M&P40c . It has the thumb safety . I know how to take it out but wanted to know if anyone here has done it . It will leave a small void on both sides of the frame . I am not worried about it and dont think it will be a trash-magnet hole . Just wondering if anyone has did this and how it turned out . I know there are frame plugs for these holes/voids but I dont understand how they fit in there .

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a gunsmith remove the external safety from my M&P9c. I couldn't figure out how to get the frame pins out.

If you call S&W, they will send you, free of charge, the frame plugs to fill in the holes that are left.

I had a gunsmith remove the external safety from my M&P9c. I couldn't figure out how to get the frame pins out.

If you call S&W, they will send you, free of charge, the frame plugs to fill in the holes that are left.

I called and they are not sending out anymore .

I called and they are not sending out anymore .

I just spoke with S&W today and they are sending me some for a nominal fee. I removed only the right side of my M&P 45's safety, making it a right handed gun. Will take a picture once I get it installed.

Here it is . All I have to say is **** roll pins ! I am used to Glock's regular pins and these roll pins suck a** .

I am happy with the way it looks and very happy about how it "thins" up the pistol and gets rid of the large safety levers on each side . One thing I dont like is how you can see some of the trigger bar on the right side of it . I only took a pic of the left side . But overall I am happy . I just hate these crappy roll pins .

My XD9 has roll pins and Lord help the day I have to take it apart .

001-2.jpg

It felt like the roll pin was gonna bend or flatten out . It didnt but I guess I was just scared it would . I just like good solid pins . I had to really hit it hard .

I'm with you on the roll pins. They do take a little more force to get them out and I've found that the punch should be just slightly smaller than the roll pin to avoid damaging it.