We Have Another Future Permit Holder

Guest TNDixieGirl

Guest TNDixieGirl

I took my mother-in-law shooting for the first time last weekend. She enjoyed it very much.

She just called me and wants to go again this weekend, so we have a Friday night date at the range.

And get this, she wants to take the safety class and eventually get her permit.

Right now she wants to shop around and find out what kind of gun would be best for her. My opinion from seeing her shoot last weekend is she definitely needs a revolver. She's almost 70 and didn't have the hand strength to rack the slide on the gun I loaned her (not the Sigma). I'm going to get her to rent several different guns at the range and get a feel for her choices.

Apparently they had an incident in her neighborhood (Bartlett) last night and that made her decision for her. She seems to think me inviting her to go shooting and this incident happening were some sort of "message" telling her to protect herself. Whatever it was, I'm glad she's finally doing it.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took my mother-in-law shooting for the first time last weekend. She enjoyed it very much.

She just called me and wants to go again this weekend, so we have a Friday night date at the range.

And get this, she wants to take the safety class and eventually get her permit.

Right now she wants to shop around and find out what kind of gun would be best for her. My opinion from seeing her shoot last weekend is she definitely needs a revolver. She's almost 70 and didn't have the hand strength to rack the slide on the gun I loaned her (not the Sigma). I'm going to get her to rent several different guns at the range and get a feel for her choices.

Apparently they had an incident in her neighborhood (Bartlett) last night and that made her decision for her. She seems to think me inviting her to go shooting and this incident happening were some sort of "message" telling her to protect herself. Whatever it was, I'm glad she's finally doing it.

What happened in Bartlett last night?

That's fantastic!

Get some firing line pics! That way when the internet search "spiders and bots" hook onto the tag line of senior-female-gun-carry permit they will get the news that its not just us southern boys that like a little protection!

(tell her to touch up her makeup before putting on the hearing protection though, a lady has to maintain her standards:D)

Guest TNDixieGirl

deer, I'm not totally sure what happened. To me, it sounded like a bunch of teens running around her neighborhood dressed in fatigues and camo. Even though they may have been up to no good, I never did really get a clear story on just what it is they supposedly did. She did say that the police ended up chasing them onto the golf course, but beyond that she doesn't really know what happened. I just know it scared her and her neighbor lady that's a single mom.

It wasn't anything newsworthy, no murder or carjacking type deal (that I've heard anyway), but I'm just glad that it didn't take a horrendous crime to get her to finally protect herself. She lives alone and has needed some form of self-defense for a long time now.

Guest TNDixieGirl
(tell her to touch up her makeup before putting on the hearing protection though, a lady has to maintain her standards:D)

Uh-oh, I think I may have lost my lady standards..LOL :cool:

When I called her Saturday morning to tell her I was ready to go, I never thought twice about putting on make-up to go to the firing range. Since I wear it M-F, I kinda consider Saturday my "give-my-skin-a-breather day". Anyway, she was taking forever to get to my house and I had a suspicion as to why, but not positive yet.

So when she drives up...you got it.....fully decked out in make-up, jewelry, the works. I couldn't believe she'd snazzied herself up just to go to the range. :D

Uh-oh, I think I may have lost my lady standards..LOL :)

When I called her Saturday morning to tell her I was ready to go, I never thought twice about putting on make-up to go to the firing range. Since I wear it M-F, I kinda consider Saturday my "give-my-skin-a-breather day". Anyway, she was taking forever to get to my house and I had a suspicion as to why, but not positive yet.

So when she drives up...you got it.....fully decked out in make-up, jewelry, the works. I couldn't believe she'd snazzied herself up just to go to the range. :P

I'm married to one of your species Dixie. I know all about the need to wear the good stuff to some of the damndest places;)

Guest TNDixieGirl

I may try to talk her into joining the forum too. She has tons of questions, just like I do, and this is one of the two places I go for answers.

I have to make sure I haven't called her the monster-in-law, or something equally flattering, before I bring her in though. :)