Shot Placement

Guest TNDixieGirl

Guest TNDixieGirl

Maybe one of you instructors or more experienced shooters can enlighten me.

Here's one of my targets I used this past weekend. Why is it that I can hit the head area of the target and keep them in the head area (for the most part), then when I go to shoot for the X in the abdomen, I'm all over the 8 and 9 rings too?

Anyone have any idea of what I may be doing wrong so I can try to fix it? I'd like to be able to close that gap in the abdomen area.

IMG_2038.jpg

IMG_2033.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aim small, miss small. :cool: There's truth to that.

Methinks that you're focussing on the entire silhouette when aiming for the center of mass (which is what you are supposed to do)... but you're focussing more precisely when making head-shots. If you want better accuracy in the X-ring, try focussing only on the X.

Try taping a 3 x 5 index card over the x, or a small paper plate. Aiming for a white area amongst the black of the silhouette will focus your attention to the x. Gradually move to shooting at just the x. You should see an improvement. Maintaining focus is critical. JMHO.

Guest TargetShooter84

Work on your stance, focus on the middle part of the body, not just the X, the above recommendation of index card may work better for you to improve practice.

Get someone to load your magazine with a snap caps or even some empties while you are not looking. This will show you what you are doing when you pull the trigger. Have that person watch as well. It can also help you train for if and when you have a misfire.

Guest TN.Frank

Sometimes the larger the target the less we focus on it so the bigger the groups will be. Get some 1" orange dots and put in the center of the "X" and see how ya' do.

Guest Mugster

Its nearly impossible to say, because your target is way too big. Here's something to think about:

Find or buy some type of rest for the handgun. A couple sandbags stacked up on a rifle bench will do. Get a target with a bullseye that you can see clearly but is not too big. I find this one is pretty good at 15-25 yards or 45':

http://www.targetz.com/targetzlib/10142.pdf

You can run off a few 100 down at kinko's pretty cheap. Or maybe a xerox subsidy :)

Now use the rest and try to fire a decent group. Get comfortable. Sit on a phonebook to get the elevation right...let some sand out of the bag. Whatever you need to do, it has to be comfy and steady.

Don't worry about hitting the center, what you want is a repeatable grouping. For me at 15 yards, that's usually a couple inches at least with plinking ammo. At 25 yards off a rest, an average day might be 3-4".

After a couple outings, from this you can adjust/file your sights if necessary. Although different types of ammo will hit in different places, so you want to stay zeroed with your hunting/combat ammo and let the plinking stuff go where it may or thats what i do usually, unless i have really easy to adjust sights.

1. Pull the trigger exactly the same each time.

2. Keep the sighting point the same each time.

3. Suck in a breath, and train yourself to fire as you release it.

The old army saying is BRAS: breath, relax, aim, and squeeze. The better body control you have, generally the better shot you'll be.

Then when you go back to standing up or offhand, my theory with a handgun is to practice stance/grip combo's that hopefully replicate a rest. One handed is actually pretty steady if practiced.

Guest canynracer

ok...I WILL TAKE ONE FOR THE TEAM...Dixie...you stand still and take aim...I will run at you as fast as I can, you see if you can drop me.... LOL

in all seriousness...try the 3x5 card over the "X" or get some cheap flourecent green or yellow stickers from wally world to put over the x, just shoot at the colors and you will do fine.

the good thing, is yes, they are not on the x...but they are in the torso, (hence the sarcasm in the opening line, you would drop me)...

good luck!

You dont say what you're shooting.

Personally I think the problem is that it looks like a 9mm. That's way too much gun for a little lady. Someone could get hurt with that thing, if you know what I mean.

No, women shouldn't have access to big guns like that.

Maybe a 2-shot derringer in .22 short or something. Just scare the guy. That's really all you need. Maybe some pretty pearl grips on it too--something feminine ya know.

Guest canynracer

Personally I think the problem is that it looks like a 9mm. That's way too much gun for a little lady. Someone could get hurt with that thing, if you know what I mean.

Maybe a 2-shot derringer in .22 short or something. Just scare the guy. That's really all you need. Maybe some pretty pearl grips on it too--something feminine ya know.

such a troublemaker...LOL

Guest someguy12341

+1 on the snap-cap suggestion... Excellent training tool. If you are focusing your eyes on the front sight as you generally should, you'll see the vertical and lateral movement relative to the rear sight as you pull the trigger. You can also practice this at home with snap-caps (TRIPLE-CHECK FOR SAFETY!)

Also, if you visit www.downrange.tv, there are several videos with great trigger-discipline exercises, including one or two from Bruce Gray (well known Sig/former HK pistolsmith and competitive shooter - all-around great guy.) Look for the 'wall drill'. Good stuff.

Guest TNDixieGirl

Yep, Sigma 9mm. It matches my shoes! :D