Picked up a bug . . .

Guest Halfpint

Guest Halfpint

Well, a Mosquito, actually. Just got it out of layaway today, taking it to the range tomorrow. Since I'm planning on a suppressor before the year is out, it's the threaded-barrel model, but I'm already thinking about picking up a drop-in barrel from Gemtech so I can forego the need for an adapter. Feels great in the hand, I kinda miss my P22 but this just feels better overall. I had one of the "good" P22's, so if it shoots that well, I'll be happy with it.

Range report to follow tomorrow night, as well as pics of the target(s).

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my wife a mosquito last month when I was home. Hers was a great shooter! at 25 yards I was getting rounds no farther than a bullets' width apart.

It's the first Sig we've owned...so i wasn't sure. I quickly realized that its a great shooter, ergonomic and just fun to shoot!

I'm willing to bet that you're going to love it.

000_0068.jpg

Guest Halfpint

Well, pre-range session, I've cleaned and re-lubed it, and I have several types of .22LR ammo to try out.

-Remington Golden Bullet, 36 gr

-Eley Club Xtra, 40 gr

-Remington Thunderbolt, 40 gr

-Remington Sub-Sonic, 38 gr

-Winchester SuperX, 40 gr

-CCI MiniMag HP, 36 gr

-Federal Lightning, 38 gr

-Federal/American Eagle, 40 gr

Shooting all of them for functionality, then for groups at 25 feet. Then, since the rest of my .22's are all bolt-action rifles, I'll buy the brand/type it likes best and stick to that.

I'll be back with pics and targets in a few hours.

I have a P22 that has been great. No FTF's or FTE's like all of the naysayers have posted. My buddy has the Mosquito Sport model and I have shot it many times also without any problems. He has had only ONE FTE that I know of. I must say, it feels and shoots great. We have been buying the 550 count box of Federals lately from Wal Mart and have never had any problems with either pistol. I have also read that both are "ammo sensitive" but have not experienced that for myself yet.

I have a P22 that has been great. No FTF's or FTE's like all of the naysayers have posted. My buddy has the Mosquito Sport model and I have shot it many times also without any problems. He has had only ONE FTE that I know of. I must say, it feels and shoots great. We have been buying the 550 count box of Federals lately from Wal Mart and have never had any problems with either pistol. I have also read that both are "ammo sensitive" but have not experienced that for myself yet.

A friend just bought one (Mosquito) used and has had problems with his. It seems to run a lot better when drowned in gun oil, but he is not happy with it so far. He mentioned selling it, but I don't think he is really ready to give up on it yet.

Guest Halfpint

A quick report tonight, I'll post the full report with target pics or at least group sizes tomorrow. Just too busy to give it the attention it needs.

Shot great, 3 FTFeed's but possibly due to my swapping out the recoil spring in the gun for the other that comes with it. One is mean for standard velocity rounds and the other is meant for high-velocity rounds--thinking I would do most of my shooting with HV ammo, I put in the stronger spring. All three FTF's looked like they were from the same problem, the slide not coming back far enough to chamber the next round. Other than the three FTFeed's, it ate everything I could put through it.

Free-hand at 25 feet, no rest and no prior experience with the gun, groups stayed in the ~3-4" range. Not great, but I was splitting my time shooting and teaching my mother and my girlfriend's sister how to shoot, so gimme some slack . . . :)

I can live with it . . . my only complaint is (my fault) that I tend to ride the slide stop since I'm so used to 1911's and my H&K. Other than that, I must say it's money well spent, and now I have something I can afford to shoot more than twice a month!

I'll update tomorrow with a better review, group sizes, etc.

Guest Halfpint

Sorry for the delay, kept having issues uploading the pics to my gallery.

Anyway, on to the review:

Mosquito_001.JPG

An overall shot, targets at various ranges but the majority at 25 feet. The third target with the rest of the 25-foot groups had them all hovering in the 3" range, with the leftover targets used as plinking fun. It's tough to do a review or shoot for accuracy when you're teaching others and dog-tired from the start, so I might update the thread again later if I can make it back to the range on my own sometime.

Mosquito_002.JPG

Definitely the best group out of all of them. I'm happy with it, but would have been happier if I had done better as a shooter. I'm looking forward to more time with it, to see if I can't get the groups trimmed down enough that 2 inches is average, or better yet, bad.

Groups ranged from 2" to 4" at 25 feet, with one attempt at 45 feet coming in just under 5.25 inches. Not great, but not too bad either.

Mosquito_007.JPG

The threaded model made pretty good sense, given that I'd like to pick up a suppressor sometime this year--just in case the Dems take office and the restrictions get tougher in a hurry. The gun can be broken down with or without the thread protector attached.

Mosquito_006.JPG

With the correct spring, I really think it would have eaten everything I put through it. Great shooter, but like one of my pic captions says--I REALLY need a .22LR 1911 if I want to get in a lot of good practice!