optics for a MINI14

Guest mustangdave

Guest mustangdave

OK...I will admit...I went for the first inexpensive scope I saw "specifically" for the MINI 14, a Barska 4X20 with a side mounting bracket do-hicky...decent scope for the $$...but won't stay zero'd...the bracket and hence the scope will wobble after about 3-4 rounds. I'm in the market for something better...that will fit the stock Ruger scope rings...until I get new optics, I plan to improve my skills with the iron sights. Any insights would be appreciated...:)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK...I will admit...I went for the first inexpensive scope I saw "specifically" for the MINI 14, a Barska 4X20 with a side mounting bracket do-hicky...decent scope for the $$...but won't stay zero'd...the bracket and hence the scope will wobble after about 3-4 rounds. I'm in the market for something better...that will fit the stock Ruger scope rings...until I get new optics, I plan to improve my skills with the iron sights. Any insights would be appreciated...:)

Don't understand. You mention side mount but stock Ruger scope rings are for the built-in scope bases on current models (which are not side mount). Just what vintage of Mini do you have? Does it have cast-in scope bases on top of receiver?

- OS

I put a 3-7 adjustible power on ours, a leopould (pricy but well made). However, if the bracket is the problem, get a new bracket, cant blame the scope for that! I do not know for sure but ruger *probably* makes rings that will fit other sizes than the one free set that came with the gun (??), if not, there has to be something out there that will work and a new mount is a lot cheaper than a new scope.

Oh, okay, you must have older mini without the built in scope bases.

Looks like that one ONLY holds that particular scope, right? Then if you want to use a scope of your choosing, guess you'll have to get a side mount base. Ruger doesn't make one. I'm sure some are better than others.

Most likely MikeGideon will see this and set you right.

Will look something like this:

opplanet-leapers-mini-14-weaver-style-mount-with-1-rings-mnt-214.jpg

- OS

Guest mustangdave

I have a newer version with the scope bases....the BARSKA 4X20 just had a minimalist appeal to it....but it will loosen up after a few shots. I have a set of ring waiting for a more "standard" scope

I have a newer version with the scope bases....the BARSKA 4X20 just had a minimalist appeal to it....but it will loosen up after a few shots. I have a set of ring waiting for a more "standard" scope

Oh, okay. Had to drag it out of you. :)

Well, you'll probably get all kinds of recommendations, along with the standard advice that the violent Mini action is hard on scopes. I dunno, I put a totally no-name 3-9x40 that came with a Marlin 30-30 on mine, and it's held up so far for about 9 months. Also put one 1911 recoil buffer in mine, dunno if it makes all that much diff, but just like a 10/22 it stops metal on metal sound. If you locktite the Ruger rings down on the integrated bases, they'll hold.

- OS

Guest mustangdave

Not looking to spend more than the rifle...I think $100 should do it for a nice scope...just a little something to compensate for my poor eye sight....LOL

I've got a generic 3x9 Tasco on mine. It holds its adjustment quite well (at lesat with about 400 - 500 rounds through it).

I've got one of the older models with the side mount scope. I've never had any issues. It is a B-Square scope attachment.