Smith and Wesson Bodyguard 380

Troutburger

Picked up a new item yesterday. The s&w 380 bg. Hopefully will get a trip to the range this weekend.

Impressions so far:

-Feels good in my hand

small enough to conceal

large enough to be shootable

-Seems well made

trigger pull is long and heavy but smooth

-I like the sights better than the ones on the LCP

-The controls on this gun are really tight

safety is too tight

button for the laser takes two hands to operate

-take down lever is a bear to disengage

-tear down/assembly is easy

not glock easy but easy enough

Hopefully this thing loosens up with a little use.

I dont see why they aren't putting a sa/da trigger on these?

IMG_20110421_150421.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the deal breaker for me. I hate those mile long 10 pound triggers. It's the reason I picked the Sig P232 over it. Of course there's a considerable size difference between the two as well so it's not strictly an apples/apples comparison.

I don't carry a .380, but I keep hearing people talk about it being a "get off me" gun. If that's what it's for, then that means you would use it if someone were on top of you. Do you really want to have to fumble with a decocker/manual safety?

IF I were to carry one of these, it would be the last option to a .45 and a .38 as a BUG, and then for the express purpose of sticking it in the guys gut and emptying the mag. Even then, I'm not sure what effect it would have.

All:__________

I aint interested in starting a "caliber war"; or a debate on "which handgun is best for you arguement"; but, there is no appreciable difference between a 380 and a snubby 38 special; and there is plenty of data out there to prove it. The 380 has been around a long time; just like the 38 special.

I've got an old "Handloader" article from the late 70's with lots of data that basically shows that it is a draw muzzle energy wise between a 2 inch smith j frame (...i always have one around; i like 'em...) and a 380. They also list the "speer hot loads" for the 380 at 4.6 grains of unique and a 95 grain hollow point. The 38 special loads ran from 110 grain to 158 grain. Muzzle energies are basically the same. About 225 to 230 ft-lb.

I suspect no one could really tell the difference in being shot with either one. The point is to have a gun when you need it; and to be competent to hit what you are shooting at.

I keep a 380 in my pocket if i have my pants on. For the most part; no one knows that i have it in my pocket; that is the whole idea. The 380 is much easier to carry than anything else i own. I also keep a glock 33 (...or larger; we got 'em all; right up to 44 mag and 45 colt....) close by (...sometimes in the hip pocket or jacket pocket; all the time in the glove box; or nearer....).

Now, in the interest of "full disclosure"; do i that "bigger is better" when (...God forbid...) you have to shoot something or someone? --- you bet i do... I also think that shot placement trumps everything else; but first you need something to shoot. If ya aint got it with you; you cant use it.

Hope this gives a bit of a fresh perspective.

leroy

Edited by leroy
punctuation and spellin!!!!
Guest carter
I don't carry a .380, but I keep hearing people talk about it being a "get off me" gun. If that's what it's for, then that means you would use it if someone were on top of you. Do you really want to have to fumble with a decocker/manual safety?

IF I were to carry one of these, it would be the last option to a .45 and a .38 as a BUG, and then for the express purpose of sticking it in the guys gut and emptying the mag. Even then, I'm not sure what effect it would have.

I have to disagree with you... correct me if I’m wrong...seems like your thinking that a .45acp is a one shot one kill round...which is not true... if a subject is coming at you and you shoot them with a .380 and they don't budge...you have another problem on your hands...cause he’s not going to stop unless u get a head shot, people don't understand how resilient the human body is, and how long it would take for someone to actually stop fighting... unless you hit an artery or get a head shot or heart...chances are this bad guy is going to survive no matter what you shoot them with… seen plenty first hand

Picked up a new item yesterday. The s&w 380 bg. Hopefully will get a trip to the range this weekend.

Impressions so far:

-Feels good in my hand

small enough to conceal

large enough to be shootable

-Seems well made

trigger pull is long and heavy but smooth

-I like the sights better than the ones on the LCP

-The controls on this gun are really tight

safety is too tight

button for the laser takes two hands to operate

-take down lever is a bear to disengage

-tear down/assembly is easy

not glock easy but easy enough

Hopefully this thing loosens up with a little use.

IMG_20110421_150421.jpg

pretty accurate description

Takedown is really bad I agree,worst part of the gun

Lazer which I dont like to use is a two handed deal,silly IMO should use a switch instead of a button IMO

Saftey too tight,but i dont use mine problem solved

150 rds 3 diff ammos and not one FTF,unlike the LCP with is a jamming mess

like the gun allot overall and CC it daily

I have to disagree with you... correct me if I’m wrong...seems like your thinking that a .45acp is a one shot one kill round...which is not true... if a subject is coming at you and you shoot them with a .380 and they don't budge...you have another problem on your hands...cause he’s not going to stop unless u get a head shot, people don't understand how resilient the human body is, and how long it would take for someone to actually stop fighting... unless you hit an artery or get a head shot or heart...chances are this bad guy is going to survive no matter what you shoot them with… seen plenty first hand

Nowhere did I say that I believe the .45 ACP provides a "one-shot kill". In fact, I don't believe any caliber produces a "one-shot kill", unless you get extremely lucky. I just believe in using the best tool for the job that's available and practical.

A hammer is a good tool, but it's inadequate if you want to drive a post in the ground.

Guest carter
Nowhere did I say that I believe the .45 ACP provides a "one-shot kill". In fact, I don't believe any caliber produces a "one-shot kill", unless you get extremely lucky. I just believe in using the best tool for the job that's available and practical.

A hammer is a good tool, but it's inadequate if you want to drive a post in the ground.

indeed a hammer would not do justice for the post... an auger would be best...

....indeed a hammer would not do justice for the post... an auger would be best...

All:_______________

It all depends on just how big the hammer is. I remember well using a sledge hammer to drive fence post in the winter time. We would wait until the rainy time had started (...usually about the end of November...) to build or fix fence. We would sharpen the end of locust posts, take a sledge hammer, and drive them into the ground. The only problem was that you either needed to stand on a wagon bed to start the posts; or hold the hammer about shoulder high for the first several blows. It is a helluva way to work; its tough to drive posts that way. The upside was that it was a quick way to get posts into the ground... You could drive 5 or 6 in the time it would take to dig a hole for one (...that was in the late 50's; before power or pto type augers for the tractor...).

The only time we would take the time to dig a hole would be to set corner and gate posts that carried a lot of load. We used uncle Charlie's special stash of used power poles for that duty. All cut to length with a two man crosscut saw. We dug the holes with uncle Charlie's special "long handle" posthole diggers.

My uncle Charlie was an old Bell Telephone lineman who started with the phone company in the thirties. He could drive posts all day and dig to the center of the earth with the old time posthole diggers. Driving the line posts is lots faster than digging holes for them. Another great plus was that you didn't need to go to the gym to get a good workout. The sledge hammer solved that problem for ya. Exercise plus productive work; what a concept!!! A good day's worth of driving fenceposts with uncle Charlie made for a great appetite and a good nite's sleep!

Hows that for a bit of homespun fence building lore ? (...plus, its all true!!....)

leroy

It is what it is (trigger) but I like everything else about it. I carry mine daily and it shoots very well at reasonable distances. And the important part is that if I ever to happen to need it I might actually have it on me. I have larger stuff but they aren't nearly as mobile as that little jewel. I have put several hundred rounds through it with ZERO problems.

Took it to the range Saturday. Had the 7 yr old with me, so didn't get to shoot it a lot. Ran about 40 rounds no failures of any kind. Was shooting WWB and Remington Hollow points. Both the cheap 100 round boxes from Wally. POI seemed to be a bit low. But shot fairly tight groups for me. In the bright sun the laser was pointless could not even see it. Liked the sights.

Bottom line is this gun carries good. Lots more practice to be done with it, but IMHO its a keeper.

Shot this group at appx 10 yrds.

IMG_20110423_105117.jpg

Think it was the gun shooting low, or you shooting low?

Didn't get to shoot it that much only 8 x 5 round groups. But the POI seemed low vs the POA everytime on every target. If I aimed at the top of the target vs center bull I would have the same group, just higher.

I have read reports of other people shooting low with them as well. Could be the heavy trigger, likely just my bad shooing.

I'll let a couple hundred more rounds be the judge...

Since the sights are dove tailed, it should be easy enough to switch front sight posts and change the elevation. Or just learn some KY windage...

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

Those are all combat effective, even if they are low. Just curious if you thought it was the adjustment to a new piece or if the sights were a bit off. I guess only time will tell.

Guest GotGlocks

I ALWAYS carry a 380 in my pocket, it beats a rock. Just FYI the last five homicides in a neighboring county was with a 380. It works for me cause i can't always carry a Remington 870 pump shotgun :-)

FWIW, I preferred the LCP over the Bodyguard. Really didn't like the feel of the gun and absolutely dislikded the laser switch. Haven't shot a Bodyguard so I can't reasonably compare the two, but I've had no problems with the LCP. Put several hundred roounds thru it so far with no problems. I've used only the Prvy Partisan loads and find them as accurate as I am.

I opted for the CTC package on mine and find it exceedingly easy to use. Preset the laser at home, then went to G&L and fired it in, setting the laser and point of impact at about 25 feet. I take it with me every time I shoot and run several mags thru to keep comfortable with it and the trigger.

If the Bodyguard works for you as well as the LCP does for me, you'll be very happy with it.

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez
FWIW, I preferred the LCP over the Bodyguard. Really didn't like the feel of the gun and absolutely dislikded the laser switch. Haven't shot a Bodyguard so I can't reasonably compare the two, but I've had no problems with the LCP. Put several hundred roounds thru it so far with no problems. I've used only the Prvy Partisan loads and find them as accurate as I am.

I opted for the CTC package on mine and find it exceedingly easy to use. Preset the laser at home, then went to G&L and fired it in, setting the laser and point of impact at about 25 feet. I take it with me every time I shoot and run several mags thru to keep comfortable with it and the trigger.

If the Bodyguard works for you as well as the LCP does for me, you'll be very happy with it.

It's definitely personal preference. I don't own either, but have handled both quite a bit thinking I will probably buy one or the other. For me, I think the LCP feels a little better, and I completely agree about the laser switch on the Bodyguard. However, the sights on the LCP are unusable. Maybe it doesn't matter in the heat of the moment, but it would bother me as I practiced with the gun. Unless I added the Crimson Trace like you have. And then you have a laser which actually works without hassle.

Then again, the Bodyguard has double action in case you have a FTF...