Tarus TCP or Ruger LCR

Guest HunterDude

Guest HunterDude

Looking for some advice on an easy to carry pistol. I have a Ruger SR9C that I've slowly began to be fond of but I would like to have a smaller , lighter, easier to carry pistol. One that I can just stick in my pocket and not have to hassle with putting on a IWB holster to conceal it. I've been looking at the Tarus TCP and the Ruger LCR. I like the size and light weight of the TCP . At the same time I like the simpleness and dependability of the LCR.Any help and advice between the two are appreciated Thanks in advance.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

love my LCR. If I were you I'd get the .357 model though. It gives you more versatility and has a stronger frame.

I have the .38 model LCR but I will eventually get the 357. I pocket carry my LCR quite often and usually forget it's there.

IMG_20110404_151417.jpg?t=1304425971

Guest peacexxl

Sooooo... I'm the only one who thinks that is a really wierd comparison? Shouldn't you be comparing the TCP to the LCP/P3AT, BG380 or something in the same class. Or if you want something like 5 shot 38 maybe compare the LCR to the BG38 or one of the other BILLION J frames out their. I mean that's kind of like saying I want a .45 should I get a Colt Government model or an M&P 45 compact? Apples and oranges.

Ruger vs Taurus: Always Ruger! If you are considering a Taurus .380 you should look at the Ruger LCP. The LCR is a solid choice for sure. I carry a Smith model 642, j frame revolver, pocket carry. Some people don't like carrying a revolver pocket carry. Put a Ruger LCR in your pocket with a pocket holster and see what you think. Then check out the Ruger LCP. IMO get both. LCR and LCP.:P

Guest HunterDude

Not looking to be called out nor am I taking it that way and I know it's kinda a weird comparison. BUT I can only afford one or the other. My wife has a Smith Chief special. J frame I guess, Neat little gun, but in my opinion it's a little too heavy for its size and although I've carried it some in my pocket(no pocket holster) it just seems like it's a little too much gun (maybe the weight thing) for your pocket. Maybe a pocket holster would help and not make it so noticeable (it does print some also). I guess I just assumed the LCR would be quite a bit lighter and maybe that would make a bit of a difference in carrying it. Never really handled either of the guns I mentioned or had either in my pocket so I really don't know much about either. Again any advice is appreciated.

The model 642 I mentioned is an airweight model very close in weight to the LCR, both the 642 and the LCR seem pretty big in a front pocket especially in a pair of jeans, not so bad in cargo type pants. Carrying a revolver in a front pocket takes a little getting used to. When it comes to price , size and weight don't leave the LCP out of the picture it is a great pistol to carry wearing any clothing, you can almost forget it is there. It is so easy to carry you will never be without it.

• Admin Team

I carried an LCP daily for about a year. I recently gave it up and went back to a j-frame, specifically a M&P 340CT. It's a bit lighter than the LCR, and is rated for .357. I've fired the TCP, but frankly would never trust the one I fired for carry. It was picky about ammo and was temperamental about ejecting spent brass. In the box of rounds I put through it, I averaged one issue per magazine. I know some people like them. I'm not one of them.

In pocket carry, a proper holster makes all the difference. Lack of one that really fit both me and the pistol was the reason I gave up the LCP. In experimenting with several holsters, I couldn't find one where I could get a full firing grip while the pistol was still in my pocket or that I didn't have to readjust my grip after drawing it. Both of these are critical issues to me, and relegated the LCP to a range gun. Other people may have a different experience. I'm 6'0" and 150lbs, and usually carry in jeans.

The j-frame in an aholster is a different story. It conceals well, you can get a full firing grip, and the draw is seamless. The pistol comes out ready to go. The holster stays put.

I can carry my 642 almost invisibly in a pocket with a small pocket holster. It wouldn't be a invisible as a LCP, but the LCR is a good size. With that said, i would prefer a LCP if i were to draw it to fire. If i thought i might have to shoot it out of a purse(if i were a woman), coat pocket, etc, i would get a hammerless revolver.

Guest tbone

Personally speaking, I would highly recommend the Ruger LCP, equipped with the Crimson Trace laser. You truly know you are living in the 21st century when you can put a laser sighted, six shot weapon in your pocket and forget that it is there until you need it.

LCR w CTL in an Aholster front pocket is my EDC. It's everything you want and in comfortable jeans is easy to conceal and draw. I have reliability issues with small 380's. I have a Sig 238 but it would occasionally FTE at the range and felt uncomfortable trusting it for EDC.

Guest Xring04

I'd go with a S&W 642 over the TCP or LCR. It may weigh a but more than the LCR, but it is a bit smaller and better suited to pocket carry. Just my .02

LCR. Light, no hammer, great trigger... no question.

Steelharp mentioned the great trigger on the LCR. I own the S&W 642 and I have to admit this is one area that the LCR is better than the 642.

Steelharp mentioned the great trigger on the LCR. I own the S&W 642 and I have to admit this is one area that the LCR is better than the 642.

I have never understood why S&W can't do a snub trigger correctly. Guess they wanted Ruger to come out on top.

I have never understood why S&W can't do a snub trigger correctly. Guess they wanted Ruger to come out on top.

:) S&W and several others are going to have to step it up a notch to keep up with Ruger. The last several years Ruger has come out on top several times, all while keeping prices down, gotta love that.