1911's

Anyone have any opinions on the following 1911's? I like the feel of each. Also, thoughts on resale.

Probably only use for shooting. Minimal carry. All of these guns feel great in my hand and are in the same general price range.

1. Kimber Eclipse II - the heaviest of the three.
  2. Kimber Pro Carry II

* With Night Sights?

* With Crimson Trace?

3. Springfield Champion

All in 4 inch barrels.

I'm sure I know the answer to this but let's ask anyway: Would there be a tremendous different in recoil between a 28oz gun and a 35oz gun? I mean, "that" noticeable?

Thanks guys,

Steve

Edited by cyh1830
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Kimber Pro Carry II and a Springfield Lightweight Loaded Champion Operator. Both are Commander-sized, 4in. barrels. Both have Truglow night sights and are very accurate. Can't tell any appreciable difference in felt recoil between the two. My personal preference is usually for the Springfield, but I'd really have to give a slight edge to the Kimber in functional reliability between them.

If you're worried about recoil...try 185 or 200 grain bullets in the 4 inch. I've had several gunsmiths recommend them and really prefer it to 230 in the shorter barrels.

I have a Kimber Pro Carry II and a Springfield Lightweight Loaded Champion Operator. Both are Commander-sized, 4in. barrels. Both have Truglow night sights and are very accurate. Can't tell any appreciable difference in felt recoil between the two. My personal preference is usually for the Springfield, but I'd really have to give a slight edge to the Kimber in functional reliability between them.

If you're worried about recoil...try 185 or 200 grain bullets in the 4 inch. I've had several gunsmiths recommend them and really prefer it to 230 in the shorter barrels.

Awesome response!!

Thanks.

I have a Kimber Crimson Carry II with night sights. It is a great carry package. The best advise I can offer is to stay away from the Kimber mags, and stick with Chip McCormick or Wilson. Mine also has a little trouble feeding Gold-Dots reliably, but has no issues with Hornady Critical Defense or FMJ.

It would be nice if you could get any of your preferred choices used, because when you mention resale value it appears that you plan on letting it go before you buy it. Resale to private individuals will always be your best bet and there is a steady market for the Kimbers and I think the Champion would sell too but maybe just a bit slower than the Kimber.

The recoil impulse in these 4" guns is quite manageable or at least it was in my 4" Champion I had for a few weeks or the two I have tinkered with that belonged to a friend. I suppose Crimson Trace is a good idea and has some applications but I never have liked it on a pistol. At distance it jumps around a lot with your wobble and is a distraction to me not a help. The best handgun optic I have found is a Millet Red Dot that I use on a Ruger MKII, but has no application in a self defense pistol. Crimson Trace or any pistol laser may have a good application in practical gunfight distances.

When you say "... only use for shooting..." it makes me think this will primarily be a range pistol. The conventional wisdom (which I rarely follow) is that anything shorter than Commander size (4.5") may have some issues. My Champion ran fine, but two of my friend's 3.5" 1911s were never reliable. Recoil rate, angle of feed, mag springs, recoil springs, barrel unlock/lock speed, ammo choice, etc, all conspire to complicate the rate of movement over shorter distances. For range fun and emphasizing good fundamentals the standard 5" 1911 is hard to beat in .38 Super, .45 or 9mm. You have to love a 1911 trigger and this coming from a guy who only carries Glocks.

I have to believe night sights must be a good thing because I have tried so many and spent huge dinero on them over the years. Then I think about that with my lifestyle if I have to shoot at someone at night outside of my home, where I have a weapon light on one of my Glock's rail for night shooting, I likely won't have time for aimed fire and everything will be instinctive point shooting at relatively close distances. So although I have night sights on some of my guns from purchases in times past, I'm thinking they aren't really necessary for my personal uses other than finding them amusing in a darkened room where I can't accurately ID the target.

I too have found Hornady Critical Defense a good choice in both 9mm and .45 if you just want some SD ammo that has reliably fed in all the guns I personally have tried it in. As I grow older I find that owning a gun that I can't shoot decent "cheap" range ammo reliably is not something I have time for any longer.

You guys "Rock!"

When I buy a gun, I purchase with intent to keep it. And shoot.

I would certainly be interested in a 5" barrel. I have small hands and have found the Commander size really feels good, grip wise. I suppose I could change the grips out to something thinner on the full size gun. Basically, I'm looking for a good reliable, comfortable shooter. Notice Wilson and Les Baer are not on the list. This is not about designer guns.

This is for shooting pleasure, and novelty. Not necessarily for carry. I have guns for that. I've never owned a 1911 and am intrigued.

Regular or nights sights sites are also my preference. And yes, the nights sights are lovely for looking at the pretty colors glow in the dark. Kinda like a night light!

The other currrent 1911 thread, "But which 1911 ????" is also on target with my inquiries. I have read about RIA and have interest, as with any reliable, quality built gun, but have not had the opportunity to get my hands on one. I suppose an internet search, for a local dealer, would have some merit.

Edited by cyh1830
Cause I want to

I haven't been there, but Berkshire Hardware is supposed to stock RIAs. Most shops have them from time to time.

The grips on the commander and full-size should be the same. In my experience, most shooters can get a 1911 to fit just right by changing the trigger (long, short) and the thickness of the grip panels.

IMG_3126.jpg

This is my every day carry. I love it. It has ran flawlessly for thousands of rounds. I like the weight for shooting, it gets a little cumbersome for carry sometimes but a good holster an belt have helped tremendously. I really don't think you would be disappointed with any of the choices on the list. All would serve you well, I don't have much use for the laser grips, especially if your not going to use for self defense. They just add unnecessary cost. My list in order

1) Kimber Eclipse

2) Springfield Champion

3) Kimber Pro Carry

You guys "Rock!"

I would certainly be interested in a 5" barrel. I have small hands and have found the Commander size really feels good, grip wise. I suppose I could change the grips out to something thinner on the full size gun. Basically, I'm looking for a good reliable, comfortable shooter. Notice Wilson and Les Baer are not on the list. This is not about designer guns.

This is for shooting pleasure, and novelty. Not necessarily for carry. I have guns for that. I've never owned a 1911 and am intrigued.

Regular or nights sights sites are also my preference. And yes, the nights sights are lovely for looking at the pretty colors glow in the dark. Kinda like a night light!

The other currrent 1911 thread, "But which 1911 ????" is also on target with my inquiries. I have read about RIA and have interest, as with any reliable, quality built gun, but have not had the opportunity to get my hands on one. I suppose an internet search, for a local dealer, would have some merit.

Keep in mind a "Commander" sized 1911's grip size is the same as a full size 5" 1911. Only the "Officer" frames are shorter. If you don't intend to carry it a full size 1911 is much more enjoyable to shoot and is, at least in my hands much more accurate. As you have found out the RIA seem to have a good rep going for them. However, one that has caught my attention lately is the Desert Eagle 1911. They seem to be well built and priced at about $675. They come in full size and a Commander. The only thing I don't like is the large DESERT EAGLE down the left side of the slide. Good luck deciding, 1911 shopping can be overwhelming with all the choices.

I have a Kimber Crimson Carry II with night sights. It is a great carry package. The best advise I can offer is to stay away from the Kimber mags, and stick with Chip McCormick or Wilson. Mine also has a little trouble feeding Gold-Dots reliably, but has no issues with Hornady Critical Defense or FMJ.

I haven't had any better luck with Chip's mags either. When I am at the range I shoot Kimber, Chip, and Wilson. When I carry I carry exclusively Wilson mags.

I haven't had any better luck with Chip's mags either. When I am at the range I shoot Kimber, Chip, and Wilson. When I carry I carry exclusively Wilson mags.

I have had some issues with the Chip McCormick magazines with another 1911, but they seem to run fine in the Kimber. Never had any issues with Wilson's, and they are generally what I carry