Ruger LC9

I'm thinking about picking one up......you know, for evaluation, holster molding, and other scientific endeavours. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone here has one, or has shot one. If so, I'd love to hear your opinion before I drop the coin. Thanks, Greg.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The April 2011 edition of GUN TESTS magazine has a 7 page detailed comparsion between the Keltec PF9 and the Ruger LC9. Long story short: The Keltec has an A rating. The heavier, more expensive copycat Ruger LC9 received a C rating. Just enough changes to stay out of court.

Guest Dukebb23

I have actually shot both the lc9 and the SR9c and they both shoot very well with not alot of recoil IMO. I actually bought a Sr9c about 2 days ago and took it out the other night and absolutely loved the way it felt with the 17 mag on it. Smooth like butter. For the money I would go with the sr9c instead. More bang for the buck. I seen them new at G&L for like 419 but you might find them used for around 369-379. I don't use mine as a carry so I don't know how the comfortable it would be but it's a great shooter for me. Just my 2 cents

Guest The Highlander

I handled one a few days ago and really liked it. Especially for the money, I think it is a good choice when compared to the SIG P290 and Kimber Elite Carry.

My SR9 is one of my favorite weapons, and since I have it, holsters, mags, etc, I'd probably go the SR9c route instead. I don't pocket carry much, so the size isn't an issue for me.

I like Rugers very much, especially the newer models.

I bought one and didn't like the long trigger pull and it wasn't that enjoyable to shoot. I sold it on here and found a deal on a P238 to use as my CCW.

Hickok45 has a great review on the LC9 but it wasn't for me. I wanted a CCW that was also fun to shoot, the P238 suits me well.

If I had a choice between LC9 and the SR9c and wanted a 9mm for CCW, I'd go with the SR9c.

If I had a choice between LC9 and the SR9c and wanted a 9mm for CCW, I'd go with the SR9c.

+1 I have the SR9c and a KelTec PF9 (which as noted above is the prototype for the LC9). The SR is a joy to shoot and very accurate.

I pocket carried the PF9 for a while but ended up buying an LCR. It's a much better shoot, and I don't mind spending some time practicing with it.

Not a whole lot of size difference between the SR9c and the LC9 anyway, and even if you can't pocket carry the Sr9c, it's easy to tuck away IWB.

I went to buy an LC9 this morning. Picked it up, laid it back down, and came home empty handed. It appears they took the LCP and bastardized it. It was top heavy, you could see through the gap between the frame and slide, and although the LCP works fine without a safety, some genius decided the 9MM versoin just had to have one. On the plus side, if there was one, it was cheap, and the sights were easier to see than the LCP's miniscule front sight and groove in the slide.

I own and use a Kel Tec PF9 that has worked quite well for me after its initial break in period. Kept cleaned and lubed it does its job. Now the trigger guard on the PF9 could be a bit larger for me because it’s tough to index, I can only get my finger tip into it and have to deliberately line my finger up to do that. When I fire the pistol the inside portion of the front trigger guard raps the heck out of the front part of my finger, just behind the first digit. While this is not debilitating it is uncomfortable for a few days afterward. The sharp recoil from this pistols light weight and compact size is just that, you won’t shoot more than a box or two of ammunition at a time, but you can train with the pistol.

Now as for the Lc9: I recently purchased one and have field tested it with good results. For my hand size it’s a little more pleasant to shoot, but of course still has the sharp recoil and you wouldn’t want to shoot hundreds of rounds through it at a time while at the range. It does have a more finished look to it and is nicely contoured in an appealing sort of way. In fact it reminds me of my Glock 36 in some ways, just a lot smaller. I like the Lc9 and will transition from the PF9 to it but still intend to keep the PF9, though I’d like to figure out a positive way to increase the trigger guard w/o potentially weakening it as well.

It appears they took the LCP and bastardized it. It was top heavy, you could see through the gap between the frame and slide, and although the LCP works fine without a safety, some genius decided the 9MM versoin just had to have one.

My thoughts exactly. I can't stand the manual safety on the SR9c either, that and the stupid chamber loaded indicator that is almost as tall as the front sight.

Guest 556or762

Great observation there BigJim I cant stand the loaded chamber indicator its freakin huge I have a few Springfield XD's and the indicator on those full size guns is smaller than the LC9. I have been spending a lot of time at On Target in the Boro and have been looking at them for concealed carry but after buying my newest Kahr P45 I am reminded how great those guns are so I think I am gonna go with a P9 for my little gun and leave the Ruger for someone else.

Greg:______________

I'd hold out for the new Kahr (....that's what i intend to do....). Let the "new wear off the kahr" and the "bugs worked out of the ruger"; then round one (...or both of 'em up...). Like the kids used to say: "....collect 'em all!!!....).

Keep up the good work!

leroy

Guest dprovons

I hated the trigger feel of the LC9. Just didn't come off as something I would enjoy shooting again. Best trigger feel in a pocket-size 9mm for me has to be the new Kimber Solo. Unbelievably smooth. Unfortunately, I'm told Kimber has made all the Solos they're going to make this year. If I were getting a 9mm this size (and had $650 to spend), I would probably get the Sig P290. It's almost the same size as the Solo, similar quality, and might even be easier to hold and shoot, though it doesn't look quite as cool as the Solo.

Guest ddemonbr

My girlfriend is looking to get one of these to serve as her CCW. Handled it at Cabela's (made a pit stop while in Kansas City) the other day. It felt decent for a smaller gun, personally I prefer 1911s, but she liked it. She was pretty attached to the idea of having an external safety which really helped this one to stand out. Another big reason she liked it is that she doesn't like to carry around a purse. She would end up putting it in a "clutch" type thing that seriously limits the size of the pistol she can carry. After taking into account the criteria above and then throwing a fair price tag on it (Cabela's was asking $400 new for it--Shouldn't be hard to find a better price elsewhere), it seems to be a decent route to go.

Keep in mind this is ignoring probably the most important aspect to buying a gun: How it shoots.

That leads me to ask a question to those that have shot it. How does it shoot in relation to the PF9? Is it about as snappy? We will probably try and find a gun range that will rent the pistol to her before we buy one so she'll know what she is getting into, but it is nice to have an idea going in.

With all that said, if you guys have any recommendations on a different pistol to go with please let me know.

Guest 556or762

I think I would have to go with a Kahr P or PM9 they just shoot every time and they dont have extra switches and loaded chamber indicators sticking out every where to snag on things during draw and safetys to forget to click off when you are freaked out and going on muscle memory and you lose those fine motor skills ( and it happens when you get shot at ) just y two cents.

I have a lady friend that recently bought a Taurus TCP after shopping around for one to suit her. She liked it above all the others she tried on.

Of course it's in .380 though.

Thanks for the info. I already have an LCP. It's what I carry, and I love it. I just can't believe the LC9 couldn't simply be the LCP's slightly larger brother. The LCP is miles ahead of it in my opinion.

She was pretty attached to the idea of having an external safety which really helped this one to stand out.

Why would one want a safety on a DAO handgun?

Edited by gregintenn

I have one of these, its a nice size and I don't mind all the safety features. I have about 200 rounds on this and am getting more accurate. I have shot a PM9 and Glock 26 which I like but I may look at a Kimber solo too. After 2 weeks jury is still out out overall I Like this pistol.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest doc.card

I have the LC9 and couldn't be happier with it. It depends on what and how you are planning to use the pistol. LCP and most of the sub compacts were just to small for my large hands. This one is just about right. I looked at the SR9 compact and like it a lot, but this little single stack was much slimmer and weighed less. I can carry IWB, OWB, or pocket carry the LC9 depending on what I am wearing. I have put about 200 rounds through the LC9 without any problems with 3 different types of ammo and I find it accurate, not too snappy, and a fun pistol to shoot. It is not a target pistol but can get the job done as a ccw. Price was right and all the safety mechanisms do not bother me. If you don't want a safety you don't have to use it, but if makes you feel better as you shove the pistol down your pants with a round in the chamber it is there. Lots of good carry choices out there, this one works for me.

I have the LC9 and couldn't be happier with it. It depends on what and how you are planning to use the pistol. LCP and most of the sub compacts were just to small for my large hands. This one is just about right. I looked at the SR9 compact and like it a lot, but this little single stack was much slimmer and weighed less. I can carry IWB, OWB, or pocket carry the LC9 depending on what I am wearing. I have put about 200 rounds through the LC9 without any problems with 3 different types of ammo and I find it accurate, not too snappy, and a fun pistol to shoot. It is not a target pistol but can get the job done as a ccw. Price was right and all the safety mechanisms do not bother me. If you don't want a safety you don't have to use it, but if makes you feel better as you shove the pistol down your pants with a round in the chamber it is there. Lots of good carry choices out there, this one works for me.

+1. The LC9 is not fun at the range. However it is at the moment my most concelable gun that shoots a half-way decent round. If I want range fun, there's 1911's and single action revolvers. The LC9 does what it's meant for. And I leave the safety off. It is totally not needed.

Guest xlearguy

I own both the Ruger LC9 and the SR9c. The SR9c is very close in size to the Glock 26, and the LC9 is even smaller. I have fired about 500 rounds through my LC9 and it is amazingly accurate for a pocket pistol, has good sights. My main gripe is it has a long trigger pull to the break, but after you are used to it it is OK. It has a sharp recoil that ladies may not like. The LC9 only comes with one magazine, so you will want extras, they run about $35.00 and if you like the finger rest add another 4 or 5 bucks. The LC9 was designed for a carry pistol and I think it serves that purpose well. I've had no malfunctions with the LC9 firing 115 and 124 grain ammo. The SR9c is one of my favorite pistols, small enough to carry, very accurate, and I think the trigger is the best feature, very smooth and fairly light, love the trigger. For an all purpose pistol the SR9c would be my pick, but for a CCW and pocket weapon the LC9 sure fits the bill.

Guest buck7997

I picked up a sr9c from another member of TGO and I love it. Never shot the LC9 but for pretty much the same money I would go with the SR9c

Guest bulluck533

Another choice you have when i comes to 9s are the new DB9s. Of what i heard around they shoot good and are way smaller than the LC9 and the CM9. They also dont have a high price tag.