Sig p238

TennXD

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker

Great guns, have owned a couple. Though I'd recommend it more as a backup than a sole carry gun.

I never had an issue with either of mine (with the exception of the recall when they first came out).

Before carrying it I'd practice with it to get a feel for the locking mechanism on there if you're not used to 1911 style safety.

Edited by JHatmaker

I have 2 of them (well, one is the wife's) and they do well. Mine had a burr on it that needed a gunsmith to cure (or $1000 in ammo worth of break in maybe) that made it hang open before the mag was empty. Once that was fixed it has been flawless thru many hundred rounds, getting close to 1000 rounds I guess.

Its a small pocket pistol with its own set of pros and cons, as with any gun.

Pros:

-accurate to 25 yards or so

-low recoil

-very good single action trigger

-reliable

-quality construction

-simple to clean/maintain

cons

- weakish caliber

- low capacity

- high price tag

- drops magazine easily from daily activity / with pocket carry

- expensive ammo for break-in and practice sessions

I highly recommend it if you need something that will vanish with zero chance of being "made", for those occasions where you do not want or are not able to conceal a more powerful weapon.

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez

They are magnificent little things, aren't they? I have been toying with the idea of picking up a pocket gun of some sort, and the Sig has definitely caught my eye. For the intended purpose, though, I'm not sure if I can justify the couple hundred more it costs compared to a little Ruger or similar. It would be such a niche product unless I got rid of my Kahr (which I can carry in about 95% of all situations without trouble) that it seems overkill. Doesn't mean I don't handle one every time I go to the shop, though...

I love mine and would echo Jonnin's comments with one exception: I often carry mine in my pocket as backup to the Sig 220, and have never had a magazine drop, ever.

If I'm just running to the store, I often pick up the 238 and put it in my pocket. Great little gun, accurate considering the short sight radius. The rest of Jonnin's analysis, I think is completely accurate.

I sold mine due to the fact that it's reliability was questionable. I now regret selling it. I will have another one someday but unless it's flawless I probably won't carry it that often. Just not sure I would trust one with my life.

I love mine and would echo Jonnin's comments with one exception: I often carry mine in my pocket as backup to the Sig 220, and have never had a magazine drop, ever.

If I'm just running to the store, I often pick up the 238 and put it in my pocket. Great little gun, accurate considering the short sight radius. The rest of Jonnin's analysis, I think is completely accurate.

Thanks!

It could just be my specific gun, but the mag release is easy to activate on mine so a minor bump to the pocket has a small chance of setting it off. Its not a huge problem as I am aware of it -- if I get hit in the pocket, I quietly check it and push the mag back home if needed, but its a minor issue nonetheless.

I sold mine due to the fact that it's reliability was questionable. I now regret selling it. I will have another one someday but unless it's flawless I probably won't carry it that often. Just not sure I would trust one with my life.

That is as it should be if it did not work! What did it not do reliably, do you remember?

Edited by Jonnin

That is as it should be if it did not work! What did it not do reliably, do you remember?

fail to eject. Many stovepipe's.

After several hundred rounds the recoil spring MUST be replaced. I took the old one out and compared it to the new one Sig sent me. It was nearly 1 1/2" shorter than the new one. Also, mine was one of the early ones that came with a bad magazine. They made changes to the magazine followers which seemed to solve that problem.

Wow thanks for all the responses. I was really just wanting something small for when it is hard to conceal something larger. I've handled the Ruger LCP and Taurus TCP and this one felt better in my hand, although I've never fired any of them. Thanks again for the insight.

Guest Sgt. Joe

I will just add that I love my 238 and will be getting another one at some point.

I do understand that a lot and I do mean a lot of folks love those Ruger LCP's. But even as much as I love Ruger firearms I would not trade my Lil' Sig for three LCP's. Nothing against the LCP really, that is just how much I like the Sig.;)

The fit, finish and accuracy of these little guns simply amazes me. Most all of them also have the Sig night sights on them and while they probably would not be needed in any encounter that was up close and personal I do think that they are really nice to have.

I do carry mine mainly as a BUG but like MikePapa will on occasion only have it with me for different reasons such as how I am dressed or a short trip to a store that my old butt should be walking to anyway.

I just dont think that you can go wrong with one. Even if you were to have a problem Sig's customer service has always been top notch.

I was really shocked when Eric let his go, but like he said he is willing to buy another at some point. Given that he did have problems that alone should speak volumes to ya.

Good Luck to ya.....all big ++++'s from me on the P238:)

I too have a Sig 238 HD and had problems with FTE so I sent it back to Sig and they adjusted the Extractor and said to use Gold Dots. Now after shooting the more expensive ammo it seems 100% reliable as a Sig should be. I only carry it when I can't carry something bigger.

Ok, so I took some time to handle one a bit more at the store the other day, and I found that the safety was REALLY tight. I understand wanting to it stay firmly in place so it won't accidentally get switched off in your pocket or whatever, but it was bordering on too hard to flip off with my thumb while "drawing." Is this common? Will it loosen up a bit in time? That could end up being a deal breaker for me.

Ok, so I took some time to handle one a bit more at the store the other day, and I found that the safety was REALLY tight. I understand wanting to it stay firmly in place so it won't accidentally get switched off in your pocket or whatever, but it was bordering on too hard to flip off with my thumb while "drawing." Is this common? Will it loosen up a bit in time? That could end up being a deal breaker for me.

That should break in, possibly even after initial takedown & lube.

I've read some places that some of the earlier models experiences some problems but Sig may have fixed the problems with the later models. Can anyone that knows more than me confirm this?

I've read some places that some of the earlier models experiences some problems but Sig may have fixed the problems with the later models. Can anyone that knows more than me confirm this?

You just described basically every new gun (or electronic product, etc.) ever made. Haha.

I had 2 at one point. One for me & the wife. Wife didn't care for it, I loved mine, but wanted to move everything to 9mm. My PM9 has always been reliable, just a bit large for pocket carry on those hott summer months.

I don't shoot as much as I used to, and have thought about picking up another P238 or P380. Love the Kahr triggers, but I'm more accurate with the SAO trigger the P238 has. Carrying cocked & locked was a bit hairy the first couple days until my mind got over it. I do miss those little guns ...

• 2 months later...
Guest 1817ak47

I just got a bi tone one from CCA. black frame and stainless slide with laser and all steel night sites. is is more expensive than most 380's, bu the fit and finish and build quality is alot better too.

I love mine and my wife loves hers. It's a real shooter unlike the rugers and whatnot which I consider for emergency only. Fits in the pocket well and you can always have it with you. When you can't carry your hand cannon with you, your little 238 will be tucked nicely out of sight in your pocket. I have yet to replace the spring in either of mine with over 700 rounds fired without malfunction. I may just do that now anyway. I don't carry it cocked, I practice cocking it while pulling it from my pocket. I had this one Cerakoted to combat my butt sweat! Yea, the holster looks like a wallet.

238left.jpg

Guest olddog

look at the sig forum at the thread on customer service. i was thinking of getting a p238, but after reading the thread i am rethinking the sale.

Every brand has been trashed online for bad service by someone who got a raw deal, and every brand has been praised for being awesome. I would not let that stuff enter into the decision, instead focus on the gun itself and those reviews. If you want to try mine give me a pm, Im in chatt town too. You have to buy the ammo though. I did wear out my recoil spring finally, new one is much better design, and I got 3 for not much $$.