Beretta 92F Jamming Problems

I have a Beretta 92F (9mm) that I got probably 15 years ago from my dad who bought it probably in the late 80's/early 90's (either because it became the new military side arm OR it was the pistol used by Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon! I don't know which!!). It has been nothing but reliable with no failures or jams of any kind - until recently. The last time I took it to the range I couldn't squeeze off more than 2-4 rounds without it jamming or failing to load. It was suggested that it might be the magazines but they seem fine to me (factory Beretta). Although they are old, the gun and the magazines have no more than between 300-500 hundred rounds through them. The gun itself is in great condition and these are not known for these types of issues. Any thoughts?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If a thorough cleaning and lube doesn't work, you might want to try new mag springs from Wolff before you buy new mags - they can be found here. With only 500 downrange, the recoil spring shouldn't be an issue, but that's another cheap part to replace before you try more expensive fixes.

If a thorough cleaning and lube doesn't work, you might want to try new mag springs from Wolff before you buy new mags - they can be found here. With only 500 downrange, the recoil spring shouldn't be an issue, but that's another cheap part to replace before you try more expensive fixes.

Clean and oil it, and buy a new mag, and try again.

+1

What mouse said,Beretta 92s are supposed to be THE most reliable autos handguns there are.

I would agree. The Beretta 92/96 series are the only center-fire autos that I've shot a lot (I have one of each and carried one in the military) and never had a malfunction with. That's not to say that they can't break (locking blocks) or have bad mags, but...

I'm a Glock guy, but I have to give Beretta credit.

Edited by TN-popo
Guest Lester Weevils

Wish I could offer advice, but neither of my current 92FS ever had problems that needed fixing.

The first 92FS I got was a police trade-in, more scratches than blue, looked worn-to-death, but remained real accurate and reliable. Eventually traded that first one off because it looked so rough. The only time I managed to get that old one to misbehave was when I tried a cheap third-party ported barrel bought from Cheaper Than Dirt. Maybe even that cheap barrel would have fed reliably if I'd known anything about fitting back then. Ain't claiming to know anything about fitting now, but at least now I'm aware that fitting is sometimes necessary. :D

Well I've had problems with the locking blocks breaking, but with that the pistol will just lock up. Then it's a real battle to get the slide off. That doesn't seem to be your issue, although when a locking block starts to get a weak spot in it, I've seen them start to malfunction more frequently. May want to have that looked at. Other than that. Good cleaning and keep her wet and it should fix it. A good set of dental picks and some degreaser are handy in the process.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently borrowed a 92fs from a buddy at work and begged him to sell it to me with no success. I can't blame him for not wanting to sell it, if it was mine I would keep it and request they bury me with it when I die. It started off as a cop trade in beat all to h. He replaced the trigger, recoil spring and guide rod and dropped in a skeletonized hammer and jumbo mag release button and 3 dot sights from a high end 96, sent it to birdsong for green t and topped it off with ctc grips. It's a beauty and combat work horse. It works fine, just wanted to share my joy in regards to cop trade berettas.