Makarov questions?

hello i recently posted a thread about wanting to buy a 9mm and what to look for.... today one of my friends showed me his Makarov, for my hands being so big i liked the feel of the gun and actually liked the trigger pull better than the RUger p95 i had........ my question is the Makarov a good gun? is the 9x18 ammo more expensive or harder to find than the 9x19 also is the power a lot different between the two ?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Makarovs are great guns, especially for the money. Domestic ammo (WWB) can be on the expensive side, but most folks I know shoot silver bear, brown bear, etc or European ammo through them with good results too and they're a little cheaper, especially if you buy in bulk. Power is between a .380 and 9mm, but seems to lean more towards the 9mm.....

If you hunt around a little, you can find decent pricing on bulk ammo, but it is likely corrosive. Not a big deal, but make sure you properly clean after a session.

Hornady makes the 9x18 Critical Defense, and it is only a couple dollars more than 9x19.

Guest BEARMAN

Academy Sports has 9x18 mm Monarch brand 95 grain steel jacketed round ball for 10.00 a box of 50.

Can't hardly beat the Makarov for reliabilty, accuracy and craftsmanship.

They are a great deal for the money.

I love my makarov, had it for over 20 years, its a 1962 east german with a redneck trigger job. I can put a full box of ammo into a group that you can cover with your hand at 30-50 yards, on a good day (some days I cant hit anything, of course). Not bad for a gun that has a major birthday next year and has going on 10k rounds thru it.

There are only 2 bad things about these guns. The finish: buy and have on hand a blue touch-up pen or kit, you will need it. Second, the ammo: while its as cheap as 9mm, it is hard to find and your best bet is to buy 1000 round bulk packs online. Sellier and belliot, silver bear are 2 of your best options for non-steel cased ammo. The guns were made to shoot steel ammo but I do not. I personally just knock 1mm off 9mm cases and reload it. Remember: mak is wider than 9mm and 380, so you cannot shoot a those slugs down the pipe or you will damage the gun with the hot gas going between the bullet and the barrel, this is really hard on the barrel.

A few maks are found in 380. These are either new production or converted guns. 380 costs more than twice as much per box as makarov 9mm ammo, so those guns are to be avoided unless you are rich.

If you can find an east german makarov, buy it if its in good shape. They are the best made IMHO. All of them are well made and as reliable and tough as a glock or military 1911. The germans cost more.

When buying, watch for 3 major problem areas:

-some doofus shot 380 and wore out the barrel

-some soldier shot corossive ammo and didnt clean the gun in time, rusty or pitted barrel/chamber

- worn out gun (should be obvious, but look at the rifleing and chamber. Nothing else matter much, you can replace the springs but the mainspring should be in good shape (cock the hammer, should have some weight to it, if its WAY too easy its worn out). The rifleing is poly and can be hard to see, but looking down it at a bright light at different angles should make it visible.

You cannot go wrong with these guns if you buy a decent one. They are cheap, some are just over $200, and the ammo is cheap as well. Mine was my college gun, bought because I could afford to shoot it a LOT during college, and while its no longer 1000 rounds of ammo for $100, its still one of the best bangs for the buck out there.

I sold my cz82 this weekend at a gunshow. It wasnt bad, but mak ammo is a pain to make and I prefer to shoot it in my mak, not the cz. Cz is better carry piece, or weapon, mak is a better shooter.

yeah i cant buy from an auction place like gunbroker because im 19 im pretty sure all the ones on gun broker are expensive to i see one for like 420 ? or a dealer so your right unless a person wants to give one up i might be looking for a while

If it costs much over $300, you need to know why, it may be a collectable one but it could also just be a rip-off. East german maks are worth over $300 in general. Your best bet is a bulgarian, which are still being imported and are less expensive at this time.

The ones at the gun show were $260 if I remember right, I have one so I didnt study what type they were. A CZ82 is about $200 right now, 250 for a really nice one.

If it costs much over $300, you need to know why, it may be a collectable one but it could also just be a rip-off. East german maks are worth over $300 in general. Your best bet is a bulgarian, which are still being imported and are less expensive at this time.

The ones at the gun show were $260 if I remember right, I have one so I didnt study what type they were. A CZ82 is about $200 right now, 250 for a really nice one.

yeah everything on gunbroker seems a bit pricey usually i will find one eventually...... thanks for your help

i posted a WTB add for a Makarov and i got a call like 1 hour later from a Makarov collector in KOdak he said he has and unissued Bulgarian mak with 2 magazines and the original holster for 350$ is that a good price?

The main difference between Makarov and CZ is a frame. CZ-82 has aluminium frame and can not take any abuse. I just ruined mine trying different loads. Makarov has steel frame and can take enormous punishment. It will handle any load that does not blow the case.

You can not use any brass cases for hot loads however. The best target ammo for Makarov is Selier and Belot 9x18. The best defence ammo is HP Silver Bear.

East German Makarov made much better than Bulgarian and Russian. It is the only Mak you can carry. Bulgarian and Russian suffer corrosion after contact with a sweat

i posted a WTB add for a Makarov and i got a call like 1 hour later from a Makarov collector in KOdak he said he has and unissued Bulgarian mak with 2 magazines and the original holster for 350$ is that a good price?

Its reasonable, unissued means its going to be basically a new gun so its worth a bit more than a typical one, and the holster adds to its value. Magazines are not expensive and add $10 or so value.

The main difference between Makarov and CZ is a frame. CZ-82 has aluminium frame and can not take any abuse. I just ruined mine trying different loads. Makarov has steel frame and can take enormous punishment. It will handle any load that does not blow the case.

You can not use any brass cases for hot loads however. The best target ammo for Makarov is Selier and Belot 9x18. The best defence ammo is HP Silver Bear.

East German Makarov made much better than Bulgarian and Russian. It is the only Mak you can carry. Bulgarian and Russian suffer corrosion after contact with a sweat

I find the buffalo bore to be better defense ammo as it has more punch than the silver bear and that is needed to push a hollow point -- the expanded rounds with a normalish 9x18 loadout can fail to penetrate and need all the help they can get IMHO. Trust me, the EG will rust too if sweated on or shot with corrosive ammo. I have spent over a decade keeping mine from rusting with reasonable success but only because I have kept it wiped down and cared for it carefully. They all rust if you do not care for them -- see my earlier recommendation to buy a blue touch up kit of some sort.

CZ-82 is an all steel frame and quite durable.

That appears to be a Russian Mak made in 1972 and that is also the extent of my knowledge on the matter.

I'm thinking $400 may be a bit high but am no expert. What kind of ammo?

Edited by Garufa