53 guns found in home where 2-year-old fatally shot 6-year-old [Video]

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a terrible tragic thing. The LA Times is an anti-Bill of Rights newspaper and I'm sure they were foaming at the mouth to report that there were 53 guns in the home but it only takes one. I blame the man who owned the gun. I have raised four wonderful kids and have two grandchildren. I wish I could say that I never had a loaded gun in my house when children were around but that ain't so............

My father was a country doctor and made what they call "House Calls". He would go to peoples houses in the night when they needed a doctor. He carried a revolver in his bag. A Burgo 22LR. He kept it locked in his desk drawer. I was 5 years old when I figured out how to get his key and unlock the drawer. I will never forget the whoopin' I took...........

Edited by Will Carry

I hate to hear anything like this.

I don't recall much at 2 years old. But pretty sure at 2 I don't believe I could have find and fired a gun, at least not aiming.

At this time I have only read the linked story I have not read the other stories.

I don't know what the other 53 guns have to do with this, other the Media Hype, O wait that is it Media hype.

My Dad always had guns in his Bed room, never locked in anways, ammo there. Trust me, I knew better then to even think about it touching them.

When I was 10, he trusted me with my own, guns and bullets in my room.

Edited by vontar

An unloaded gun is a wretched club. An unloaded gun with the ammo in another room is a worse club. I had a friend who lost a younger child to a jealous sib. The kid actually said...now daddy will love me more.

Guest pfries

Truly tragic, they do state that most but not all of the guns were locked up.

All the guns in my house are always loaded... Just ask my kids :up:

My EDC which stays with me is always loaded.

Two of mine are grown and gone of the other three two have thier own rifles and the third is two and a half (don't forget the half you will be corrected).

My older two that are still at home are the ones that brought up the saftey concerns when the youngest came home from the hospital.

I still keep a shot gun up in the closet with a combination trigger lock on it and it stays loaded . The rest are in the safe. The handeling of firearms is at minimum a weekly thing for the family in my house. My youngest will already correct some one for touching one of "Daddy's Guns" when we are cleaning them unless they have asked or been told to.

It has been a little hard on my middle boy as some things had to retro grade (has to wait for me to double check his rifle prior to break down and things like that) when I started letting the yougest get involved.

Edited by pfries

The weapons were found when the Police executed a search warrant after the shooting. That tells me the parents will likely be charged criminally.

To say that all firearms should be loaded is reckless and make us all look bad. Some states have laws addressing this, and there is legislation pending at the Federal level.

I support this legislation. It’s sad that we need it. I have been in many homes where the parents had no business having kids, let alone kids and firearms. This was no an accident. Parents are responsible for the safety of their children.

Laws for locking up guns are stupid and reckless. Studies have shown that criminals take advantage of those laws to burglarize and assault citizens.

While incidents like this are sad, they are never entirely preventable. Anyone who has had inquisitive small children knows they can get into almost anything. The key is trying to keep your loaded firearms inaccessible until they have grown up enough to get safety lessons. In my case, my father used his Army .45 to blow up some melons when I was about four. I knew it was kept in his top dresser drawer, but I couldn't get to it until I was about 4. But after that demonstration, I stayed away from it until I was old enough to be taught to handle it at 14. I taught my son the same lesson, and it is simple and effective. If you properly teach older children, they will keep the younger ones away from dangerous objects.