What do you know about the M18A1?

Guest SUNTZU

Based on another thread, I would like to know more about this:

300px-US_M18a1_claymore_mine.jpg

I have seen them on TV and movies, but would like to hear some more experiences from people who have been on the sharp end. Thanks!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw one as a "demonstration" at Fort Knox when I was at basic, we had a class with the "dummy" ones and that was at the end. It was in a field that had waist high or higher grass and it cleared that grass out in front and did so a little in the back (from what I remember).

The main thing I remember was going WOW! and looking like this:eek:. That's all I know.

Guest ETS_Inc

I know that if you pay BATFE $200, you can build one of your own. Or, you could buy one, provided you can find a manufacturer willing to sell you one.

Oh, and they're a lot of fun to play with. And really, really loud.

Guest ETS_Inc

And the U.S. Army's standards for employing an M-18A1 Claymore mine:

1. Inventory the M18A1 Claymore mine bandoleer, accounting for all accessories.

WARNING: During testing and installation, keep the M57 firing device in your possession to prevent accidental firing by someone else.

2. Conduct a circuit test at the firing point.

a. Remove the electrical wire and accessories while leaving the mine in the bandoleer.

b. Remove the dust cover from the connector of the M57 firing device and from the female connector of the M40 test set.

c. Plug the test set into the firing device.

d. Position the firing device bail to the FIRE position.

e. Actuate the handle of the firing device with a firm, quick squeeze, observing the flash of light through the window of the test set.

Note. The flashing light indicates that the M57 firing device and M40 test set are functioning correctly.

f. Remove the shorting plug cover from the connector of the firing wire and from the end of the test set.

g. Plug the connector of the firing wire into the test set.

WARNING: The blasting cap must be placed under a sandbag, behind a tree or in a hole in the ground to protect the person performing the circuit check in case the blasting cap detonates.

h. Place the M57 firing device bail in the FIRE position and actuate the firing handle.

Note. The lamp in the window of the M40 test set should flash.

i. Place the firing device on SAFE, remove the M57 firing device and M40 test set.

j. Place the shorting plug cover on the firing wire.

3. Install the M18A1 Claymore mine.

a. Tie the shorting plug end of the firing wire to a fixed object, such as a stake or tree at the firing position.

b. Place the bandoleer on your shoulder.

c. Unroll the firing wire to the selected installation position.

Note. The firing wire is laid from the firing position to the mine installation site because the blasting cap end is on the inside of the firing wire spool.

4. Aim the mine.

a. Remove the mine from the bandoleer.

b. Open both pairs of legs to a 45-degree angle with two legs facing to the front and two legs facing to the rear of the mine.

c. Push the legs about one-third of the way into the ground with the mine facing in the desired direction of fire. In windy areas or when the legs cannot be pressed into the ground, spread the legs as far as they will go (about 180 degrees) so the legs are to the front and rear of the mine and the mine will not tip over.

d. Select an aiming point at ground level about 50 meters (150 feet) in front of the mine.

e. Position one eye about 6 inches to the rear of the sight.

(1) On a knife-edge sight, align the two edges of the sight with the aiming point.

(2) On a slit-type peep sight, align the groove of the sight with the aiming point that is 2.5 meters (8 feet) off the ground.

Note. The aiming point should be in the center of the desired area of coverage with the bottom edge of the peep sight parallel to the ground that is to be covered with the fragment spray.

5. Arm the mine.

a. Secure the firing wire about one meter to the rear of the mine so the mine will not become misaligned if the firing wire is disturbed.

b. Unscrew one of the shipping plug priming adapters from the mine.

c. Slide the slotted end of the shipping plug priming adapter onto the firing wire of the blasting cap between the crimped connections and the blasting cap.

d. Pull the excess wire through the slotted end of the adapter until the top of the blasting cap is firmly seated in the bottom portion of the shipping plug priming adapter.

e. Screw the adapter, with the blasting cap, into the detonator well.

WARNING: Ensure that the face of the mine marked "front toward enemy" and the arrows on the mine point in the direction of the enemy.

f. Recheck the aim of the mine.

6. Camouflage the mine.

7. Bury the firing wire (if possible) from the mine back to the firing position.

Note. The firing position should be in a hole or covered position at least 16 meters to the rear or the side of the emplaced mine.

WARNING: The M40 test set must be used during retest of the circuit.

8. Repeat step 2 to test the circuit after the firing wire is laid out and the cap is placed inside the mine to see if there are any breaks in the wire.

Note. To ensure that the mine will function properly after installation, retest the firing circuit to check for any break in the wire that may have occurred during installation.

Note. Friendly troops within 250 meters to the front and sides and 100 meters to the rear of the mine must be under cover.

WARNING: You must be behind cover or in a fighting position when retesting the circuit on a Claymore mine with the blasting cap inserted in the detonation well.

9. Fire the mine.

a. Remove the dust cover from the firing device and firing wire.

b. Connect the firing wire to the firing device.

c. Position the firing device safety bail in the FIRE position.

d. Actuate the firing device handle with a firm, quick squeeze.

e. Assume a prone position behind cover.

Note. The mine is most effective when employed against targets 20 to 30 meters in front of it.

Edited by ETS_Inc

I know the kill zone is 50 meters in front in a 60 degree arc.I think the wound radius is a bit more..the backblast area is 25 meters. why they say 16 meters I have no idea..we always set ours off with a 25m backblast area.

they no longer put ball bearings in them..they put a piece of metal thats about as thick as a nickel and a little smaller than the casing, that has grooves cut into it so that it'll fragment into squares.

they're great devices and are made primarily for defense, though you can use them to start an ambush..(they do wonders for blowing the crap out of the middle of a passing patrol)

I know that if you don't set them up correctly, its pretty easy to hurt yourself and if you don't check the backblast area you're liable to hurt someone you didn't intend to hurt.

aside from that, the clackers are never where you thought they were when you need them most..:D (the clacker is that square, trigger thingy with the handle), and usually when you DO find it, the enemy isn't in the kill zone anymore..so it helps to have someone man that weapon if you're expecting trouble.

oh..and DO try to keep that roll of wire dry and in a shockproof environment, if possible..it comes with a blasting cap attached to it.

I've heard that they have a fuse setup that can be used with a tripwire, though I've never seen tripwires on anything but trip flares, bouncing betty's and those new suitcase minefields. (those things are coool..radio controlled even!)

aside from that, they have a nifty, idiot proof way to deploy them and even come with a handy "front towards enemy" sign on them..which is a neat way to say aim it this way or this is going to hurt you more than it will them.

;)

Edited by towerclimber37
I couldn't remember the kill range for the weapon! I think its 50m but not sure.

Tower, that pretty well sums up the M18A1. ;)

As you mention, the angle of dispersion is about 60 degrees.

I worked on increasing that angle for a project we did with a controlled minefield in Vietnam. By replacing the C4 in the center of the Claymore with another explosive with a higher temperature/pressure curve, we were able to expand the angle to around 100 degrees in a standard shell. Of course that meant less projectile density. It was a special project and didn't turn out too work well.

Next time we have lunch, ask me to tell you what the back blast from a Claymore can do.