Bringing back the nickel with FLITZ ?

Just picked up a nickel wheel gun and it's a bit dull here and there. So I started researching on how to bring that shine back and like all things opinions are varied as well as what products to get the best results.

Many advise to use something called FLITZ but use it lightly, only when neccesary, and in moderation. Others suggest Mothers (tried the chrome polish last night...no luck !) and others suggest a homemade concoction of lemon juice and various household chemicals.

So as usual I am turning to the fellow TGO crew for help.

I have a nickel gun that has lost it's shine......what do I do now ? I don't want to take it back down to copper and while I would love to re-nickel the entire gun that's not only overkill but I am sure not worth the expense.

And for those suggesting FLITZ please let me know where I might pick up this product locally (Knoxville area) as I've been unsuccessful in tracking it down thus far.

Edited by FUJIMO
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve used Mothers, Flitz and Happich semi-chrome. The best results came with the semi-chrome, although they are all pretty close. If you didn’t have any luck with the Mothers I doubt you will have any luck with the others.

Most Harley dealers will have Happich Semi-Chrome.

Once nickel starts pitting or flaking there really isn’t much you can do except to have it refinished.

What was the outcome, what do you mean by "No luck"?

Well by "no luck" I mean it didn't brigthen it back up in the slightest bit. As far as the current finish on the gun it's pretty much in line with what I've read and saw online. It has a cloudy hazed finish on most of the gun. No pitting, no flaking, the metal itself is flawless just cloudy. I removed the grips and shot a couple "before" photos so if it did work I would have future reference material. The finish under the grips is like it should be, like a mirror. But it's like looking at a clean glass beside one with soap scum compared to under the grips.

I am a little suspicous of the mothers anyway. I've used their product before and it was never this thin. Their polish always have some body to it and thickness and this stuff was like water. I am tempted to go back to Autozone and pop the top on another bottle just to see if I got a expired bottle or something, lol. Just my luck.

I have used the Mothers Mag Wheel Polish with good sucess on stainless gun. It is a paste in a small can. WallyWorld has it as well as most any auto parts shop. Start off easy with it!

I've got more experience than I care to have in polishing nickel. Most pre-1950's Coleman lanterns were nickel plated. I just tonight finished a 5 hour polishing job on a 1954 Coleman 249.

If the finish is hazy, don't be too afraid to try some jewelers rouge (red) and a dremel with a felt polishing wheel - but don't bear down too hard on it - go lightly, let the speed do the work.

Finish with Mothers mag polish.

If the finish is freckeled, forget it - time to re-nickel.

Flitz has something in common with the lemon juice recipes - an acid base that will really take the nickel off. I would avoid it, honestly.

There is one other polish available that does a great job, really - but it is very, very, very expensive. Think $50 an ounce.

Chrome polish isn't gonna do anything for you.

Hope this helps!

Someone who has a small polishing tumbler (Rock Tumbler) will do wonders for polishing it up. I use one for polishing chrome, mainly for headers that I refinish.

I've got more experience than I care to have in polishing nickel. Most pre-1950's Coleman lanterns were nickel plated. I just tonight finished a 5 hour polishing job on a 1954 Coleman 249.

If the finish is hazy, don't be too afraid to try some jewelers rouge (red) and a dremel with a felt polishing wheel - but don't bear down too hard on it - go lightly, let the speed do the work.

Finish with Mothers mag polish.

If the finish is freckeled, forget it - time to re-nickel.

Flitz has something in common with the lemon juice recipes - an acid base that will really take the nickel off. I would avoid it, honestly.

There is one other polish available that does a great job, really - but it is very, very, very expensive. Think $50 an ounce.

Chrome polish isn't gonna do anything for you.

Hope this helps!

This ^.

I make my own nickel cleaning compound that I call "gun biscuit" I've used it on eletroless and standard nickel finishes for a long time. It's not a secret recipe and the ingredients are really easy to find. I use a can of bartender's friend powder, a bottle of brasso liquid polish (both can be found at kroger, home depot, etc) and 1/3 cup of ultra fine white aluminum oxide which can be found at harbor freight labeled for use in an "air erased" dump them all in a plastic container with a resealable lid, mix and let it sit for a couple days until the liquid has evaporated and it looks like biscuit dough. I've found it works best with nyon brushes in this state. This will make a lot and you can add water as needed. This is just something that works well for me, is inexpensive and easy to make and works well for me on nickel finishes that aren't in need of anything but a little elbow grease. Gun biscuit! Learn it, use it, love it, but don't eat it!